Menu

Spelling....thought we were finished, what now?

Both my kids did AAS and then R&S.  They could spell.  

However, today I saw word lists for another subject and most were misspelled.  I see words in their writing I thought they knew and now I wonder if we need to get back to a spelling program for another year or two since it's not stuck in their brains lol. 

What can I use for this stage.  They will be 6th and 7th next year.  Open to something light in the summer, or a full program next year.  I put some things in my wish list at RR, but curious what would be easy but effective for this age group after having already done other programs....

I noticed that until this year, 5th grade, spelling lists did NOTHING to help her spell other words correctly. She made a jump this year and hardly anything is misspelled anymore. Maybe you could have some "surprise" tests on words you saw them spell incorrectly the week before? You can keep a record of them and then test on them.

I found this at the library the other day, Handling Words: How to Read and Spell Those Long Hard Words. There's two volumes.

It looks a lot like the AAS approach of phonics + rules. But it is written for grades 4-8 and it introduces IPA to show how to translate the sounds into the correct spelling. I think it looks neat

I think it's OOP. Sorry. Ain't that always the way! Maybe see if your library has it or ILL it?

Yes. I have been using it for yrs. I am actually on my second copy since my first one fell apart. The first 30 or some pages seem to confuse some people. But, it find it easy to use. It is OG based., presents a rule, teaches words, and has spiraled dictation.

I put this in my wish list for fall, thanks!

Yep, I just ordered it myself.  I've been working off a levelled list for my 6th grader, but the words are so random, frequency-based rather than rule-based.  My 2nd grader will be finishing up with LOE in the beginning of the fall, so I need to figure out where to go next with her, too.

Spelling may be the death of me. We completed LoE Essentials, including the advanced list. So, we have gone through it twice. We have done the first book of Megawords. DD nails the words fine in spelling. When she is spelling a word, if I ask her the rule or remind her of the rule, she nails it. But, her independent spelling is still behind her other skills although it has improved dramatically over the years. So, I just keep going.

We just started using How To Teach Spelling, which I had considered a couple of years ago and went with LoE instead. I got the How to Spell Workbook 3 to use with it even though you can implement it just using the teacher's guide. I just feel like we are going to be doing spelling until she's in college, and I give up and she uses spell check.

They did all of AAS and then all of the R&S series through 8th grade?  We did AAS through mid 5 and switched to R&S 4, 5 and 6.  We are still working one book a year to finish.  I'm thinking if you did all of the levels of both, perhaps it was too fast?

• 2 weeks later...

They might be more motivated to spell correctly in other subjects if you mark their answers wrong if there are misspelled words. :-)

This tactic was really the only thing that worked to really improve my daughter's spelling.  Spelling programs did nothing for my kid.

We used Sequential Spelling because it did not teach a list of words to memorize, but more the idea of learning to spell by ear.  I was skeptical, but it really does work.  Whenever my son does not know how to spell something, I ask him to go through the process.  Since the goal wasn't a word list, it works in all subjects.