Menu

Math in Focus for 1st then swith to PM?

vaquitita

I'm not familiar with MIF. We are almost finished with PM 1a. The only jump I noticed and didn't feel like my son was ready for was the unit on adding/subtracting to 20. We jumped to the next unit, measuring I think, kept reviewing his facts to 10, the went back to the 20s unit. The home instructors guide (HIG) helps a lot. We are working through the 20s unit at a snails pace.

we did MiF 1a and 1b and are now in standards 2a .  I did it mostly for myself being not very mathy and needing a helping hand in getting into how to teach SM before jumping into SM I took it very slowly with my DS and we really delved into it and supplemented with montessori hands on stuff, PM and CWP and he really built a firm understanding to the point we are almost flying through 2a.  

However now that I have a handle on how to teach SM I got rid of MIF 1 and am using standards 1 with DS2 this year for kindergarten (he is my super mathy kiddo)  and we are loving it.  I would better be able to comment on the differences later this year but so far I do not feel like it is less gentle then MiF at least in the beginning