Menu

Pre-k, K4, K5, or Kindergarten

Hunca Munca

On top of that my state, CA, now has added transitional kindergarten.  I know the difference between pre-k and kindie, but what is the difference between the rest.  I realize I don't have to file anything until 1st grade, but I see people using all of these labels.  I'm just curious.  

Thanks,

Mom of two 4 year olds =)

I live in Australia where we have a different system and set of labels again!

For me. The year a child is, for the majority of the school year, age 4, they are in - (US) Pre-K, or K4. Here in Australia that is called Kindergarten

The year a child is, for the majority of the school year, age 5, they are in (US) Kindergarten, or K5. Here in Australia that is called Prep or Preparatory Year (it used to be called preschool here, which was even more confusing since american preschool is ages 2 and 3, right?)

Where I live we label them depending on which school the child is in: big schools that have all grades will start at grade 000 (3 turning 4 that year) and then grade 00 (4 turning 5), grade 0 (also called Grade R which stands for Reception) which is supposed to be the equivalent of K (children 5 turning 6) and then first grade (6 turning 7)

However other schools just label their classes things like: The Fish Class and its all age based on no one is quite sure til you get to Grade R. Here we do not separate older and younger Grade R children - in fact many of the boys born in December are told they should not start til they are a year older to stop them being the youngest in the class as our schools run January to December.

I have never bothered with grading - my child does the next thing. 

This is how I have understood it and seen it used. PreK is a child doing pre kindergarten level work, the year before kindergarten. K4 is a 4 y/o doing Kindergarten level work. K5 Is a 5 y/o doing kindergarten level work. Kindergarten is the general term for the school year before 1st grade, and could be equivalent to K4 or K5. Someone doing K4 may spread the work of kindergarten over 2 years. Transitional K is doing an extra year of kindergarten, regardless of age.

Although I see my understanding of the terms is not consistent with some other responses.

Of course this is all still very murky because "kindergarten" level work is not a clear definition either. I just go by age based on the local school district when I need a grade level for an outside program. (Our school district just has plain "kindergarten") Otherwise I just do what I want as far as curriculum "levels"

In CA, transitional K is for kids with fall birthdays (so almost-5 at the beginning of the school year).  They usually go into regular K the next year.

My two 4-year-olds will turn 5 in August, and we'll be starting K at home.

Mine turn 5 at the very end of the year.  We have been doing K level work on a couple of days a week, so I guess we are doing K-4 right now. =)  They would be going into transitional K in September if in enrolled in school here in CA.  However, I'm thinking we will start our official K5 year in January. 

Just to clarify, though, I should file as a private school when they would be going into their first grade year based on age not ability, right?

Thanks for all the answers.  

Whatever you have to do legally...do it by age rather than your child's ability. So if most 6 year olds are 1st grade in the Fall, then file your 6 year old as a 1st grader. See what I mean?

And then ignore all than nonsense the rest of the time!!!!

For me I look at my children as simply ages. So my dd will be 4 in July. Which means in my town she *could* go on to Kindergarten (K4) or continue to be in a preschool class this Fall. Either would be a possibility. (And neither would be developmentally right for her IMHO). I won't consider her "K" next year however. I simply will consider her a 4 year old and we'll do things according to her interests and abilities. 

When enrolling kids in community activities, it's helpful to know what grade you want then to be so you can place them accordingly. Technically Kindergartners can play soccer, as one example, but I wouldn't really think my 4 year old was ready. I'll call her a Kindergartner when I think she's ready to participate in community activities.

Although my ds will be doing 2nd grade level work, I plan on keeping him with 1st graders for sports because I feel there's too much pressure in the next level, and he also has a summer birthday. Just plan accordingly to your child's needs. And time they may need to mature into certain things.

Usually age grades like that are useful in navigating the outside world. As far as what you're doing in your home for academics...grades will hardly matter. They're more like the next level.

Whatever you have to do legally...do it by age rather than your child's ability. So if most 6 year olds are 1st grade in the Fall, then file your 6 year old as a 1st grader. See what I mean?

And then ignore all than nonsense the rest of the time!!!!

For me I look at my children as simply ages. So my dd will be 4 in July. Which means in my town she *could* go on to Kindergarten (K4) or continue to be in a preschool class this Fall. Either would be a possibility. (And neither would be developmentally right for her IMHO). I won't consider her "K" next year however. I simply will consider her a 4 year old and we'll do things according to her interests and abilities. 

When enrolling kids in community activities, it's helpful to know what grade you want then to be so you can place them accordingly. Technically Kindergartners can play soccer, as one example, but I wouldn't really think my 4 year old was ready. I'll call her a Kindergartner when I think she's ready to participate in community activities.

Although my ds will be doing 2nd grade level work, I plan on keeping him with 1st graders for sports because I feel there's too much pressure in the next level, and he also has a summer birthday. Just plan accordingly to your child's needs. And time they may need to mature into certain things.

Usually age grades like that are useful in navigating the outside world. As far as what you're doing in your home for academics...grades will hardly matter. They're more like the next level

This make sense.  Thanks for your reply. =)

In the US, normally Kindergarten is the year before 1st grade.

Pre-K in the US is the year before KG.

Transitional KG, as I've seen it used in the US, is an extra year for kids who completed KG but are not ready for 1st grade.  There might be variations in this usage.

I've seen K4 and K5 used in places where kids normally have two years of kindergarten (age 4 and age 5).

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with most. In my school district in OH things are a little different.

Preschool is for 3-4 year olds.

Pre-k and K4 are the same. Just called pre-k here. 4-5 year olds.

Transitional Kinder or K5 is for children that are close to the cut off. Our cut off is August. So children between August and December would be in this group. I think this is unique in my school district because we have a large number of children in this 4 month period.

Kindergarten is for children who are 5 when they start.

Mine turn 5 at the very end of the year.  We have been doing K level work on a couple of days a week, so I guess we are doing K-4 right now. =)  They would be going into transitional K in September if in enrolled in school here in CA.  However, I'm thinking we will start our official K5 year in January. 

Just to clarify, though, I should file as a private school when they would be going into their first grade year based on age not ability, right?

Thanks for all the answers.  

The year that your child will be 6 by September 1 is the year you will file your affidavit in October. My very strong advice is to list them as being in first grade, not kindergarten. Kindergarten is not (yet) mandatory in California, so it makes no sense to put that on the affidavit. No one cares what your dc are doing academically; just do the paperwork and move on.