Menu

Phonics, Spelling, Grammar, Writing, Oh My!

Ok so I'm a little confused as to the difference and necessity of all of these. I plan to home school my going-to-be 1st grader next year. I do understand that phonics is necessary so that he can continue to develop his reading skills, but how important is grammar and spelling for a 1st grader? And how do you cram all of this into one day? He is currently in school and I'm not sure if he is touching on the spelling and grammar there.

For kinder and first I only do phonics. I don't see a need a for spelling and grammar yet. Most curriculums do not start those things until 2nd/3rd. Some people do start that early it just depends on the situation and your personal goals for each child for each year.

Ok so I'm a little confused as to the difference and necessity of all of these. I plan to home school my going-to-be 1st grader next year. I do understand that phonics is necessary so that he can continue to develop his reading skills, but how important is grammar and spelling for a 1st grader? And how do you cram all of this into one day? He is currently in school and I'm not sure if he is touching on the spelling and grammar there.

Phonics is how you teach your child to read. If he is already reading well, you might not need to continue with formal instruction.

IMHO, grammar is not necessary for a little person who is just 6yo, nor is spelling (unless you do Spalding or one of its spin-offs, which teaches children to read by teaching them to spell, and includes penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing).

A little 6yo person who is might begin to write simple sentences (he'll need penmanship, too), original ones as well as copying from age-appropriate sources.

With my 1st grader we have been doing phonics, handwriting and Math. Just in the last few weeks we have added Learning Language through Literature. So far we are reading aloud Beatrice potter, aesops fables, and some good poetry. We have talked about sentences and people names starting with capitals and ending sentences with punctuation. It is really easy and gentle. We are having fun with it. We are pretty chill in the first grades, and add as reading and handwriting improve.

I won't be doing more than 15-20 min/day on grammar & spelling combined. (If that. I'd like to keep it to 10-15.) We won't do phonics. Ds is a strong reader. I have him keep a journal. He writes or dictates 4 or so sentences about a topic (his choice) several times a week. That & maybe an occasional copywork page is all the writing I'll have him do.

I'm planning to use R&S grammar, and maybe their spelling. We will most likely do grammar every day (probably have him do the lesson orally so it moves quicker, and b/c he doesn't really need more writing work). Ds doesn't really struggle enough with spelling to make me think he *has* to do it daily... Maybe just occasionally for a check point. R&S curriculum is pretty inexpensive. 

There are ways to gently introduce these subjects without it taking more than a few minutes out of your day.  For example, a first grader usually needs work on handwriting, so you can have the handwriting be copywork- copying a sentence or two from a well-loved book.  As the child, over the course of a year copies and recopies common words, the spelling will begin to sink in.  In the same way, early grammar/mechanics concepts will sink in.  Each time you hand him the copywork say, "A sentence starts with a capitol letter and ends with a period."  Before long, he'll have that rule memorized and you can do another one.  (This doesn't mean he will apply the rule in his own writing- that takes much longer.) 

But no, nothing formal NEEDS to be done at this age! 

Yeah, I definitely want to do phonics, probably Abeka. He's not a strong reader at all, I had really hoped he would be a better reader by now since he knew the alphabet by age two and loves reading. So I'll probably hold off on grammar and spelling for a bit.

At that age, I would get a copy of School House Rock and let them watch it every week or so.  Over time, they will start to learn the songs and the basis to learn grammar later on.  In a year or two, I would look up Grammar Land and have fun reading that over and over one year.