Menu

Is freezing rain an improvement over snow?

Snickerdoodle

Freezing rain is much more dangerous and damaging than snow.  We had half an inch of the nasty stuff about three weeks ago, and it will be months before all the fallen limbs and downed trees are cleaned up.  Many people were w/o power for days.  Businesses couldn't open, restaurants lost thousands of dollars of food.  Some roads were impassable for days because of all the downed trees.

Snow is much less evil.  And it's prettier. ;)

Freezing rain is much more dangerous and damaging than snow. We had half an inch of the nasty stuff about three weeks ago, and it will be months before all the fallen limbs and downed trees are cleaned up. Many people were w/o power for days. Businesses couldn't open, restaurants lost thousands of dollars of food. Some roads were impassable for days because of all the downed trees.

Snow is much less evil. And it's prettier. ;)

Where do you live?! (You don't really have to answer ;)

Either you live near me or a storm hit you at the same time because it hit us. We have a lot of pine trees ( like 50+ ) on our property and I am pretty sure each one lost 3-6 huge branches. It was sad and we were out of power for about 48 hours. Ice storms are not something to mess around with.

I'll happily take freezing rain. I'd much rather have to spread some sand than pay to have our road plowed every time it snows, twice if it's a doozy.

Edited to take out the $ amount. It's depressing.

Eh, until it freezes on trees and they break onto power lines and you lose power for days and days.

I will take snow and sleet over freezing rain any day. We just recently lost power for 3 days due to freezing rain. Not fun. Especially when you have no water because the well pump requires electricity.

Freezing rain is much more dangerous and damaging than snow.  We had half an inch of the nasty stuff about three weeks ago, and it will be months before all the fallen limbs and downed trees are cleaned up.  Many people were w/o power for days.  Businesses couldn't open, restaurants lost thousands of dollars of food.  Some roads were impassable for days because of all the downed trees.

Snow is much less evil.  And it's prettier. ;)

I think I saw somewhere that you are in NC, too. That storm was a doozie for those of us affect -- right through the central part of NC. There are still piles of tree branches along roadsides waiting for crews to pick them up.

Where do you live?! (You don't really have to answer ;)

Either you live near me or a storm hit you at the same time because it hit us. We have a lot of pine trees ( like 50+ ) on our property and I am pretty sure each one lost 3-6 huge branches. It was sad and we were out of power for about 48 hours. Ice storms are not something to mess around with.

I think I saw somewhere that you are in NC, too. That storm was a doozie for those of us affect -- right through the central part of NC. There are still piles of tree branches along roadsides waiting for crews to pick them up.

Yes, NC. :)

Well that's what we'd call an ice storm and not just freezing rain. Obviously, I'd prefer snow to an ice storm. We woke to freezing rain this morning. There's a coating of ice on everything, even had to chisel the car door open this morning before driving the kids 10 miles away to school. Still glad it wasn't more snow.

An ice storm is caused by freezing rain.