Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hunter

Kindle Paperwhite Vocabulary Builder to do Robinson Curriculum?

Has anyone used the new Kindle Paperwhite Vocabulary Builder to do Robinson Curriculum style reading and vocabulary?

Has anyone used the new Kindle Paperwhite Vocabulary Builder to do Robinson Curriculum style reading and vocabulary?

Please don't tell me I have to buy a kindle paper white to get this feature :lol:

This had been out for at least 6 months. Why haven't we heard about it? I don't think the flashcards are available on anything other than the 2nd gen Paperwhite.

This had been out for at least 6 months. Why haven't we heard about it? I don't think the flashcards are available on anything other than the 2nd gen Paperwhite.

I don't know! Now, I think I know what I want for Mother's Day!

I was thinking it would be very convenient to load all the Yesterday's Classics and Heritage History and Adelaide eBooks onto a Paperwhite, and nothing else. It says it holds 1000 books, but I doubt that. But I should be able to get the best ones all on, though.

Buying just one device with a big hard drive isn't the cheapest way to go. Many of us are reporting wearing out devices. It's cheaper in the long run to have more devices with smaller hard drives. And to use each device for what it does best, or even to hold all of one thing.

I'm assuming some families would want a Paperwhite for each child, so they'd have their own flashcards. That would be expensive but not prohibitive if the flashcard system is as good as it sounds, and is used for a Robinson type curriculum. The child could choose vocabulary as they read and mom could check if it's appropriate and quickly delete and add words if necessary.

As I suspected not even close to 1000 books will fit on the Paperwhite. I didn't even get all of the Yesterday's Classics and Gateway to Classics books on it, never mind any of the Young Readers Heritage History and Adelaide titles. I was hoping not to have to pick and choose, but just load them all on there. No such luck. About 300 books will fit.

I haven't tried the vocabulary builder yet. I'll let you know tomorrow about that.

As I suspected not even close to 1000 books will fit on the Paperwhite. I didn't even get all of the Yesterday's Classics and Gateway to Classics books on it, never mind any of the Young Readers Heritage History and Adelaide titles. I was hoping not to have to pick and choose, but just load them all on there. No such luck. About 300 books will fit.

I haven't tried the vocabulary builder yet. I'll let you know tomorrow about that.

That's a lot more than my kindle holds. I was irritated to find out how few books it could really hold.

The 2nd generation Paperwhite claims to store 2G. A lot of these books have small black and white illustrations. These are not even picture books.

Is yours 2nd Gen or 1st, Hunter? We have no capacity problems with my old Kindle keyboard (still kickin') and DS's basic model (1.5yo, not sure what generation). I really wanted a Paperwhite for the speed and the lit screen but this disinclines me from upgrading. :(

This is a brand new 2nd generation Paperwhite. I'm thinking of bringing it back. I just put it on my charge a few hours ago and this store has a very generous return policy. There is no restocking free for opened and used products.

I was hoping I'd be able to load the majority of my Yesterday's Classics and Heritage History eBooks and a few Adelaide and other assort goodies I've accumulated, that can be side loaded. and were not purchased through Amazon.

I do not have a dependable laptop or desktop and don't want to invest in one right now. To go through my saved files of eBooks means risking corrupting all the files on the storage device, because the USB drive slots are wonky. I wanted to just get these books on one device and be done with it.

I'm realizing that I'm wearing out devices now that I am so eBook and audiobook dependent. It's cheaper to have a few devices than to pay the ridiculous prices of the devices with the larger amounts of storage. An iPad mini with 128G compared to the 16g is hundreds of dollars more. And if I pay that much, and only have one device, then I want to insure it, and that is even more money. So I thought I'd spread out.

The Paperwhite is only 2G and that doesn't fit all that many illustrated Kindle books, I found out.

Be even more aware of the newer Nooks. Very little of the storage can be devoted to side loaded books that were not purchased from B&N. And the new Nooks don't have a slot for a storage card either.

The new generations of eReaders are cheap and have lots of bells and whistles, but are meant to tie you to the seller and their cloud storage.

I still haven't tried the new vocabulary builder. I'm too busy trying to figure out which books to load onto it. Or if I even want to keep it.

All my YC ebooks are on Amazon's cloud storage. My Heritage History books too, I think. I emailed them from my computer to my son's kindle and apparently that automatically saves them to the cloud.

All my YC ebooks are on Amazon's cloud storage. My Heritage History books too, I think. I emailed them from my computer to my son's kindle and apparently that automatically saves them to the cloud.

How much storage do we have in the Kindle cloud? I also have the 100+ Gateway YC books.

How much storage do we have in the Kindle cloud? I also have the 100+ Gateway YC books.

5GB for personal documents (ie. non-Amazon purchases/files).

The vocabulary builder isn't so great. It's not a concise definition, but just the typical messy dictionary definition. It's not a flashcard system. It is a way for an ADULT to keep track of words they don't know, and need to review, but I don't think it's useful for children.

It also keeps track of every word looked up, even words accidentally touched. Each word must be removed one by one. You have to wipe the device to get rid of all the vocabulary at once.

If you sideload too many books, do NOT remove the books thorough side loading. The device will still register as full. I had to wipe the device to be able to add more books, despite having removed a 1/2G of books. You must remove the books from the Kindle screen.

The YC Comstock nature study books and some of the classics that are illustrated are BIG files. If you skip just a few of those files, you can fit a LOT more of the other YC and HH books on the device.

The vocabulary builder isn't so great. It's not a concise definition, but just the typical messy dictionary definition. It's not a flashcard system. It is a way for an ADULT to keep track of words they don't know, and need to review, but I don't think it's useful for children.

It also keeps track of every word looked up, even words accidentally touched. Each word must be removed one by one. You have to wipe the device to get rid of all the vocabulary at once.

If you sideload too many books, do NOT remove the books thorough side loading. The device will still register as full. I had to wipe the device to be able to add more books, despite having removed a 1/2G. You must remove the books from the Kindle screen.

I think I'll pass on getting that one and just work with the devices I have. Thanks for the review.