Menu

Anyone use a rowing machine??

Moxie

I have, because my son is on his college's rowing team and brought one home during Christmas break.

The pro: it's a great workout because it works your upper and lower body at the same time.

The con: I find it boring. If I'm going to sit in one place for exercise, I would prefer to ride a bike, because then at least I can read. I find all exercise machines boring, though, because of the sitting in one place thing.

Also, I don't know if this was just because my body wasn't used to it, but my knees were a little bothered by it. They didn't hurt really, but were "tired," if that makes any sense. I run 30 miles a week, give or take, and have no problems with my knees when I run.

If you are working out at home, though, I think having a rower would be a nice way to change things up if you're getting tired of your bike.

I had one, but I gave it away, because what seemed fun in the gym was somehow incredibly boring when I used it at home. It was also hard on my back, although I admit some fault with that, because I kept catching myself with bad posture when I was rowing.

If you really want one, my best suggestion is to see if you can try it out in the store before you buy it, because some models are nice and smooth, while others are kind of choppy-feeling, if that makes any sense.

You might be able to find an expensive model for cheap on Craigslist, because they're not super-popular right now and people might be having a hard time selling them for high prices.