Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW14

Robin M

Got more books from the library book sale. I have a problem.

Ours is this weekend too!  I came home with a couple Patricia Polacco books, a Georgette Heyer, a few other Regency romance/mystery books, True Grit (since a few of you liked it here, and I'm familiar with the John Wayne movie), Blueberries for Sal (FIAR book), and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and a couple books for dd13.  If I had felt better today, I might have found more but I was only half heartedly looking.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to buying a stack of reading material, I found some 1950's and 1960's knitting pattern books at our library sale.  What a hoot!  The one below cracks me up because of the styling.  Apparently men have to hold things.  The models are posed with cigarettes, pipes, skis, rifles, golf clubs, steering wheels....

I finished For the Children's Sake today while the kids were playing on a "raft" in the unfrozen part of the lake. They were on a couple boards that were grounded in mud and I enjoyed reading in the sunshine while they played. The political statement at the end of the book surprised me. I can see why it was included but it seemed jarring to me. Also, I seem to have changed the phrase, "I am, I can, I ought, I will" to "I am, I want, I should, I will". It's not necessarily bad as we are talking about the difference between doing what we want to do vs. should do but I didn't realize we had changed it. Lol

So I'm back to Gulliver's Travels and am more inclined to keep at now that I know what I'm in for with this author. Happy end of the week everyone!

Lucky you, I adore knitting patterns in general but the old ones are really special. Old infant and doll patterns or the best ones. I do admit the styling can be funny. My kids reactions to the cigarettes in older media always amaze me (who grew up with a dad and older brothers who were/and still are smokers)because they just can not believe it was that common, actually a status symbol. Other than their uncle's who they see rarely due to distance, they know no smokers. Hard to believe the cultural shift in 30 or so years both in the US and UK.

In addition to buying a stack of reading material, I found some 1950's and 1960's knitting pattern books at our library sale. What a hoot! The one below cracks me up because of the styling. Apparently men have to hold things. The models are posed with cigarettes, pipes, skis, rifles, golf clubs, steering wheels....

Lucky you,  I adore knitting patterns in general but the old ones are really special.  Old infant and doll patterns or the best ones.  I do admit the styling can be funny.  My kids reactions to the cigarettes in older media always amaze me (who grew up with a dad and older brothers who were/and still are smokers)because they just can not believe it was that common, actually a status symbol.  Other than their uncle's who they see rarely due to distance, they know no smokers.  Hard to believe the cultural shift in 30 or so years both in the US and UK.

At least these seem pretty dapper in the book Jane picked up. I agree that it's funny to see how fashions & status symbols change.

If you want a laugh (& aren't worried about your eyeballs being burned out of your head), here's some 70s fashion mockery:

http://www.plaidstallions.com/fashion.html (We've actually posted some of the photos from this place back when we had the American Hustle thread.)

I definitely prefer the styles in Jane's book to the ones on the 70s blog, lol.