Menu

What are the first two novels that come to mind if I ask you to recommend for me (and two for my boys)

JadeOrchidSong

Just about to finish Anan Karenina in a few minutes and continue Pillars of the Earth. I reserved Pilgrim's Progress for my next book, but I need more after that. I feel this will be my reading productive year!

Assuming you enjoy Pillars I would recommend reading World Without End soon after.  The same village and families a few generations into the future.  For something a bit different I highly recommend Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway

All of you might enjoy Alan Bradley's Flavia series.  You must start with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.  These are soon good.

For the boys here are some random thoughts of things my ds has loved:  Rangers Apprentice,  Percy Jackson, Artemis Fowl,  and the Eragon Series.

For you, Sarem. One of my favorite historical fiction books.

For the boys, the Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke-- Interesting fantasy characters, powerful/descriptive imagery, really good plot.

Also the Dark is Rising series--Excellent quality writing (really beautiful), one of SWB's favs, and the plot is good...

Well, I know nothing about your religious affiliations or taste preferences, so I'll just go off the cuff based on what I've read and enjoyed recently. 

For you:

Havah by Tosca Lee - fiction, story of Eve from Eve's perspective.  Entertaining, easy read, and I particularly loved her description of the chaos of the fall.

... gosh, I can't remember what else I've read recently.  I didn't read a lot of the more 'classic' literature for kids when I was younger, so I've been catching up on that - so I guess I haven't really read a ton of other books lately. 

For your boys:

White Fang - though this may be below your boys' reading level, it's been Link's favorite book since he was in 2nd grade.  :) 

The One and Only Ivan - another one Link said was good.

The Secret Garden - not just for girls (I don't know why I ever thought it was?  Lol!)

if they haven't read those already - I'm thinking maybe they have, as they are all books Link read a couple of years ago, but I'm drawing a major blank on everything today.  :P

Keeping in mind that I don't really know you and I'm horrible at writing descriptions:

84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff - a true story told through letters that gives a wonderful picture of a life in love with books.

The Hawk and the Dove trilogy by Penelope Wilcox - a beautiful story about the power of forgiveness set in a medieval monastery.

For the 11yo: I, Q series by Roland Smith -- fun history/spy/adventure series
Children of the Lamp series by P. B. Kerr -- adventure/supernatural (djinn) series

For the 9 yo: The Sherlock Files series by Tracy Barrett -- fun mysteries for kids
The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch -- fun & engaging

For you: Flavia de Luce series by Alan Bradley -- charming Brit mysteries that you will probably want to pass down to your older son when you are finished with them
Bel Canto by Ann Patchett -- a good recommendation that has fairly wide appeal since I don't really know your reading tastes

Another series that would be great for all of you (makes a great read-aloud):
Tiffany Aching books by Terry Pratchett

They are part of his larger, longer Discworld series but can be read as a smaller set:
The Wee Free Men (an absolute & beloved fave of everyone in our house)
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
I Shall Wear Midnight

Also, if you are not on Goodreads, you may want to check it out. Based on books you like, it gives pretty good recommendations.

PP suggested Sarum by Edward Rutherford, it has to be one of the best Historical Fiction books I've ever read.  I've also read, London, Ruska, Both Irish books, The Forest, and New York by Rutherford numerous times.  

For the kids, have they tried; Terry Pratchett's juvenile lit? In particular is the Tiffany Aching series starting with;"Wee Free Men".  Depending on their ages and your censoring of topics the other Discworld books may not be appropriate. 

Also Artemis Fowl(7 or 8 books) by Colfer.  

100 cupboards (3 books) and Ashtown Burials (currently 3 or 4 books, will be 5 total) by N.D. Wilson.  

I'm a huge Percy Jackson and Harry Potter fan, I love all the ones I've listed especially those by N.D. Wilson, he does include some talk of God but as an atheist I had no real problems with it, the references were totally in character.  

One series that I thought was well written but a little too much teen angst is "Maximum Ride" by James Patterson.

HTH

Books I read and love:
Jane Eyre
Les Miserables
Uncle Tom's Cabin,
To Kill a Mocking Bird
Harry Potter (love love!)
The Hobbit
The Good Eart Trilogy
the fellowship of the Ring (I need to read the rest)
Unbroken (seriously love this one )
The Hiding Place and Tramp for Jesus

My boys read and love
Harry Potter (we all just each read the whole series in December and January. I wish I had read them when they came out. I envy those who did!)
Merlin 12 book series by T A Barron (they each read the series twice and beg me to read these)
Eragon
Percy Jackson series (again they want me to read them)
Where the Red Ferns Grow (they both beg me to read it, too)
They love listening to the Chronocle of Narnia books on ancientfaithradio.com, highly recommended!

All of you might enjoy Alan Bradley's Flavia series.  You must start with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.  These are soon good.

I love this series, and I think the books just keep getting better!

I first heard about Hugh Howey's Silo trilogy here and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The books are Wool, Shift, and Dust.

Tess of the D'urbervilles

Cutting for Stone

Half broke Horses

Thousand Splendid Suns

Cuckoo's Calling

If they liked Percy Jackson, the Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus

My son just dove through the whole warrior series

Yes, I read Cuckoo's Calling earlier this month. I like Harry Potter more because it is easier and more exciting.
I do really like the two main characters, the detective and the temp secretary, who seem to enjoy their job so much!
Tess I read in college in Chinese. I like it a lot. I should attempt the French version now. :-)

claire Bee's "Chip Hilton" series.... because they are all about life and all about sports and simply a good read besides.

and

anything by farley mowat, starting with "the dog who wouldn't be"... humour, animals, outdoors, life...

and for you, Ellis Peter's Brother Cadfael series.... because i don't know how to do life without them ;)

ann