Menu

Which Latin after Song School Latin

KristenR

So we LOVED Song School Latin 1 and 2.  Seriously- loved the gentle and fun way to start Latin.  But now I'm wondering where we want to go next.  Do I stay with Classical Academic Press and do Latin For Children?  Or do I take a year to work through the copy of Minimus Mouse I already have on my shelf.  Or should I start something like Prima Christina?  Or since we were already doing the Classical pronunciation on SSL would that not work?  What about Latin's Not So Tough?   Lively Latin?  I plan on using Visual Latin as a supplement but want something else for our spine.

I know there have been threads on this before but the threads I keep finding are for people just starting out.  I'm wondering if curriculum recommendation would be different since we've already made some progress with SSL?

Also, maybe the fact that we're in Classical Conversations would alter the choice for curriculum?

If you loved SSL, is there any reason why you don't want to do LFC? From what I can tell, the last few units of SSL2 cover the first few chapters of LFCA. And LFC continues in the sing-and-learn style.

If it's not broke, why fix it?

We've done great with Latin for Children. My teenagers look back at it fondly and it got them off to a strong start. LFC A was *my* first Latin book, and I was able to easily learn it along with the kids. That leads to Latin Alive, which I love even more. :)

I can't see why CC would need something else. The chants probably won't line up just right, but they will compliment any Latin study.

We've done great with Latin for Children. My teenagers look back at it fondly and it got them off to a strong start. LFC A was *my* first Latin book, and I was able to easily learn it along with the kids. That leads to Latin Alive, which I love even more. :)

I can't see why CC would need something else. The chants probably won't line up just right, but they will compliment any Latin study.

Thanks for this.  I guess what I was wondering about was where LFC would lead up to.  I'm glad to hear you enjoy Latin Alive just as much.  

My kids all did LFC and loved it.  I loved the simplicity of the layout and was easy to teach and implement.  My kids always laughed about the DVDs but they taught it well and it stuck for them.  Great for the elementary grades!  After LFC my oldest went into Wheelocks in 7th grade and was well prepared.  My middle child is taking Latin Alive series since he is only in 6th.  I like Classical Academic Press because of the lay out and the ease to learn and teach it.  It is great for any child whereas Wheelock's and others can be harder to teach unless you know Latin well in which I don't... :)  IMO

We were involved in a CC community during 1st grade, wherein I tutored my little man's class, so that was our first experience with Latin. We began SSL 1 in 2nd grade and then went to LfC A in 3rd grade—before SSL 2 was released. We're currently in LfC B and my little man still enjoys it. My plan is to continue our studies with Latin Alive! after we've completed the LfC series. CC's Latin chants were a first glance intro for us, but honestly, we never used them or looked back once we started Latin with CAP. Food for thought.

Has anyone here used or reviewed the Latin for Teachers DVD Course sold by CAP? Apparently, it provides a bird’s-eye view of the Latin language and covers the contents of all three Latin for Children primers.

If you loved SSL, is there any reason why you don't want to do LFC? From what I can tell, the last few units of SSL2 cover the first few chapters of LFCA. And LFC continues in the sing-and-learn style.

If it's not broke, why fix it?

Well, we loved SSL and detested LFC.  LFC felt dry and boring here.  We are doing much better with GSWL, which we learn both Latin-to-English and English-to-Latin; I plan to incorporate some Galore Park materials (perhaps starting with Minimus as a supplement to GSWL) in between GSWL and Artes Latinae. 

FWIW, I own Minimus and find it harder to do as a non-Latin-speaking teacher.  I think it'll become easier as I get some experience and my littler guy gets older so there's a bit more time. 

Spanish for Children also bombed here.  The "For Chidren' experience rapidly becomes different to the Song School experience, though clearly many folks do well with it ... it almost makes me reconsider!

DD didn't retain LFC at all well. We tried LFC along with Minimus, and after it became obvious that she was retaining a lot more from the "fun" Minimus that she was just reading than from LFC, we moved to Cambridge. I figure after she finishes CLC we'll go to something more rigorous.

I will say that SSL2 wasn't out then, so it was a kind of big leap from SSL 1 to LFC, and that DD was quite young at the time. One of the biggest problems, for us, with LFC was that she really couldn't do the writing yet.

Just wanted to mention Latin for Children's Thinker's Cap Academy. My son has loved it, so I feel it it worth mentioning. There is nothing boring about it, and it is a very independent program. http://thinkerscap.com/moodle/

mjbucks1 - I saw that resource too. I just wish it weren't so relatively expensive. It would great to purchase as a co-op for multiple people to view and use. Maybe in a year or two I'll be able to track down a used copy.