Menu

How much computer time for Minecraft or other games do you give your dc

JadeOrchidSong

Hahahahaah

Ongoing issue in our house.

More than 20 min a day for sure.

I am generally happy if all school work and chores get done and we keep minecraft under 2 hours a day.

Yeah, this. Someone please tell me how they keep all of their children from watching each other play Minecraft. It's a constant battle here.

I do not have actual time limits. If their schoolwork is done, chores are done, we don't have anything else going on, etc. then they are free to play Minecraft or other video games. It's a leisure time activity no different than the amount of time each day I spend on these boards, on FB, watching TV, reading novels, and so forth.

I have found that the more restrictive I have tried to be, the more fighting we had and the more they wanted to play. When I allow them to self-regulate they do better and actually walk away from them on their own. But it does require a different mindset towards video games which took me a bit to realize.

about 40 minutes (or slightly over) after completing morning school work. Any more than that has to be earned by doing chores. There is a list of chores that have a time rating attached. we have multiple computers, so two can play at the same time against/with each other. it reduces the time playing/watching others.

My dc love minecraft and they get 15 to 20 minutes a day each. They watch each other play so that comes to 40 minutes a day. They want to have it longer.
How much computer time do you give your dc?

We do the same thing you do. We have two 8YO sons.  They each get 15-20 minutes a day on weekdays but they watch each other so that is 30-40 minutes of staring at a screen.  On weekends we let them have double time. We have 1 kindle for them to play on so they can't play at the same time.

My younger kids each have their own desktop computers in the living room, so they can play at the same time. 

They are allowed on starting at 4pm weekdays, if they are home and school, exercise, chores (not much here but I'm working on it) are all done and there were no break-downs or behavior problems (dd lost yesterday for taking a pair of scissors to multiple items in her room). They take a break for dinner and then are done for good at 7pm.  Giving us a hard time about getting off will result in losing time the next day but it very rarely happens since they know exactly when they have to get off.  Consistency helps a lot.

Right now they are out of the house until almost 6pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays so get less than an hour those days.

Weekends they can be on in the morning if they get up early enough but are kicked off by 11/12  or earlier depending on plans for the day and can be back on at 4pm if we are home, etc.

Playing has done a lot for both kids.  They've improved their reading, and spelling playing with others they need to chat with.  Ds types over 50 wpm.  He uses his own method that isn't too different from the right way - using all fingers of both hands.

I do not have actual time limits. If their schoolwork is done, chores are done, we don't have anything else going on, etc. then they are free to play Minecraft or other video games. It's a leisure time activity no different than the amount of time each day I spend on these boards, on FB, watching TV, reading novels, and so forth.

I have found that the more restrictive I have tried to be, the more fighting we had and the more they wanted to play. When I allow them to self-regulate they do better and actually walk away from them on their own. But it does require a different mindset towards video games which took me a bit to realize.

:iagree:

I completely agree with this.  For us, restrictions make many things a "forbidden fruit" that is wanted more.  Without limits, ds has created a nice balance of screen time with a dozen other activities.  

More than 15-20 minutes.

Many games take chunks of time to accomplish things. I like video games too, so this helps my kids I think. I know from experience you can't get very far in a game if you only have 15 minutes, It takes more than 15-20 minutes to gather resources and build in Minecraft.

If you play adventure games and are exploring it can take a while to get to the next spot where you can save your progress.

:iagree:

I completely agree with this. For us, restrictions make many things a "forbidden fruit" that is wanted more. Without limits, ds has created a nice balance of screen time with a dozen other activities.

Exactly! We keep our kids busy with sports and activities and church and schoolwork, etc. If they want to spend their "free" time... as in what's left of it... playing video games then I don't sweat it.

I was going to say almost exactly the same thing last night...had it all typed and ready to post. Then I chickened out thinking I would get all sorts of flame thrown my way.

We don't generally restrict tv, computer, or video games and I find that mi kids don't watch or play that often on most days (some days are marathon) and overall they keep plenty busy away from the screen.

That being said, if my child ever did not turn it off when asked ( within limits - I would not want to be responsible for him missing the absolute highest score ever obtained because he wasn't at a 'save' point. :ohmy: ) or come to complete a chore, etc. then I would reconsider. But, it hasn't been an issue so far.

My boys have a seriously hard time pulling themselves off screens if we turn them on during the week. They are a weekend thing only and then the only restriction they get is if we have to go somewhere. They set a timer on the weekends and take breaks. Without the timer, the entire day would disappear without them even noticing. My oldest has learned to use the timer well enough that I will let him do some things on his computer during the week, but no minecraft or mario or things like that. My dd has never had a problem with pulling herself away and I haven't really worried about it much with her, but she follows the guide lines the boys have because it's easier for me to enforce. My youngest I have to be pretty strict with yet. He still struggles not to cry when he has to stop playing.

I allow handheld gaming if we are driving longer distances during the week.

I understand *wanting* my kids to only play 20 minutes each, but that's really unrealistic considering how involved they can get and how long it takes to accomplish things, say hi to friends, etc.  It would be very frustrating to ME to only have that much time at once.  But anyway, our kids get a "measly" hour per day (LOL)and then 1 1/2 hours on their chore day (we rotate kitchen duty and on that day the kid gets an extra 30 min.).  The older kids get 30 min. in the morning before school, etc. to check facebook, forums, etc. or do anything quickly before we start our day, though.  And I'm always getting suckered into allowing 5 min. here and there.  (I need to scan something!  Can I upload my new drawing to DeviantArt?  and on and on...)  Screen free on Sundays.

It's hard!  Mainly because they have to share 1 computer plus MY laptop, though.  Otherwise, I think I'd be more likely to be more lenient.  But my kids are not good at self-regulating with games because we have so few outside activities in our lives right now.  Wish that were different.

Both of my kids know that there are no video games during the day, but that they can do whatever they want (within reason) during their down time. We have commitments in the evenings 3-4 nights a week so that automatically limits it a bit, but in general they'll use their free time in between dinner and bedtime to play Minecraft. As the weather gets nicer they'll probably start spending more time outdoors after dinner and less time in front of a screen.

I'm personally not a huge fan of video games and have never played them myself, but games are a MAJOR form of social currency, especially for boys, IMO. My son doesn't have an athletic bone in his body and doesn't even like watching sports (sports being one of the other dominant social currencies). He doesn't go to school. He's half the size of most other boys his age. So, I let him play. It's his "in" with other boys.

Minecraft has been banned from our house as my kids couldn't seem to focus on anything else. For Lent, they have given up all video and computer games and netflix. They can watch PBS for an hour before dinner. Things have been so peaceful around here for these past couple weeks. It was hard for them at first but lately they have even been "forgetting" to watch PBS.

I don't have anything against video and computer games, but (some of) my kids' personalities just don't seem to be able to handle them in moderation. I think this next week I will box up the various game systems and put them in the attic.

On school days they have half an hour total of screen time, to use as they like.  They don't usually watch each other play.  At weekends they have an hour of computer/games time and an hour of non-educational TV.  In holidays, they have an hour total of screen time each.

We are more lenient (unofficially, unstated) if the boys end up playing together/communicating whilst playing.  It's a big age gap, and anything that brings them together gets winked at.

L

I don't really restrict.  

My boys aren't into sports, but this year we have done scouts, a robotics team, and lots of church activities.  Robotics pretty much sucked the life out of us this year!

My rule WAS no computer until after 4pm.   But with our above activities we were having to leave by 5:30 many nights and getting home around 10pm or even later.  So, I moved computer time to 3pm.

Now that things are winding down, I will be moving it back to 4pm.

Dawn