Menu

Do I want a breadmaker?

ktgrok

We are going to have to agree to disagree on that. I have been making bread a long time and that machine can make some beautiful dough. It keeps it all at the correct temp, everything is so beautifully kneaded... you can really get that warm and springy  'baby butt' consistency with a good machine. And you get it every time, not just on a day when the humidity is just right or your kitchen happens to be warm but not too warm. I can put the ingredients in there at my convenience and get beautiful pizza dough or whole wheat dough or andama dough. It makes the process beautifully consistent. I always know how long it will take and what I will get. And I am still in control of the process, I can tweak away at the ingredients to my heart's content.

I am sure it is possible to make lousy bread with a machine. My mom sure did. My mom bought a machine for fun. But, my mom hates cooking, hates baking. My mom doesn't cook, my mom defrosts and orders in, and that is her prerogative. Well, of course she made weird bread in the machine. First of all, it has a learning curve, like anything else. Second of all, she used the cheapest of ingredients and had no feel for the process. To her, what she ended up with was worse than what she could buy in the store and wasn't worth the effort. I would have to agree with her.

I've done both...each for a period of years. The machine wasn't awful, but it does not compare in any way to making it by hand or with a mixer for the kneading stage. Bread machines are locked into a very specific cycle which do not account for their environment, nor do they use cold rise or other techniques which make really awesome loaves. You're also very limited in terms of recipes, unless you know how to adapt the thousands of standard recipes out there. 

Personally, I think if machines made bread really well there would no longer be bakeries. I'm fairly sure there's no one who thinks that grocery store bread or bread machine bread equals or surpasses even a grocery store bakery. The same is true at home.  

However, it sounds like most people on this board use them as timed mixers. That's fine, but I wouldn't consider that a reason to buy a special machine. I already have a mixer and so does the OP. I don't have any problem mixing up a batch at night, letting it rise an hour or so, and then forming and tossing it in the fridge. Any time I have time to bake it I can take it out and by the time my oven heats up it will be ready to bake. There's also the no-knead/peasant method. Mix up a batch (but don't knead it) and throw it in a dutch oven. In 24-30 hours bake it. It's not a matter of not having time, it's a matter of organizing the to fit your schedule. Not everyone wants to do that. That's fine. But I can't pretend that you aren't giving up some quality. You are. Life is a negotiation of what works for each of us. 

I've done both...each for a period of years. The machine wasn't awful, but it does not compare in any way to making it by hand or with a mixer for the kneading stage. Bread machines are locked into a very specific cycle which do not account for their environment, nor do they use cold rise or other techniques which make really awesome loaves. You're also very limited in terms of recipes, unless you know how to adapt the thousands of standard recipes out there. 

Personally, I think if machines made bread really well there would no longer be bakeries. I'm fairly sure there's no one who thinks that grocery store bread or bread machine bread equals or surpasses even a grocery store bakery. The same is true at home.  

However, it sounds like most people on this board use them as timed mixers. That's fine, but I wouldn't consider that a reason to buy a special machine. I already have a mixer and so does the OP. I don't have any problem mixing up a batch at night, letting it rise an hour or so, and then forming and tossing it in the fridge. Any time I have time to bake it I can take it out and by the time my oven heats up it will be ready to bake. There's also the no-knead/peasant method. Mix up a batch (but don't knead it) and throw it in a dutch oven. In 24-30 hours bake it. It's not a matter of not having time, it's a matter of organizing the to fit your schedule. Not everyone wants to do that. That's fine. But I can't pretend that you aren't giving up some quality. You are. Life is a negotiation of what works for each of us. 

Yeah, that is the trade off. For instance, I make better food most of the time in a dutch oven than in the crock pot. But...I have to time things right if I'm doing the dutch oven. I can put things in the crock pot hours early and it is very very forgiving. So for me it's like that I think...yes, I can make bread without a machine, and I can make roast pork without a crock pot. But a lot of times it is easier/more convenient to use the designated item, and save the more time sensitive methods for days when i have that to give it. 

ps.  this is the one we got this last time; its on the above site as the best machine for the frugal person ;).

i like it okay (ie. not as much as i liked the one that broke) 

http://www.atthebakersbench.com/sunbeam-bread-machines/sunbeam-5891/

however, the recipes that come with it are dreadful.  i use my old machine's recipe book or ones i find on line.

This is the machine I have, too. I just use the dough setting and bake in the oven. Really easy, and it seems to taste much better.

I use my bread machine to make the dough and if it breaks, I will buy another one for that purpose. It's well worth the money and time savings to me. I also have the KA mixer with the bread hook thingie, but I can't be bothered using it when I can just pop the ingredients in the bread machine and walk away. I usually bake my bread in the oven, but in a pinch. I'll bake it in the machine. It's not a matter of organizing my schedule -- it's a matter of how I want to spend my time.

But I do have to say that if redsquirrel prefers bread baked in her bread machine, I don't see why you would dispute that or say that she's giving up quality. You may disagree with her, but maybe she makes amazing bread in her machine -- and even if she doesn't, her definition of quality may be different than yours.

In my mind, I don't think any of us can judge what tastes best, because it's a completely subjective thing.

I say go for the Zo.  Just look for sales.  (My DH is a dedicated online cheapskate,  errr, shopper.  I use my Zo for multi-grain breads and it's fab.  Latest loaf had 7-grain cereal, combo of spelt, buckwheat, teff, wheat, and all purpose flours, almond meal, flax, and chia.  Baked it in the Zo [you can also just use the dough cycle and free bake], and it came out fluffy and fabulous. :thumbup1: )

If you just can't swing it, I would avoid the cheaper ones.  They are an exercise in frustration.  IMO.

If you have  Kohl's card, wait for a 30% off coupon to come your way and get your Zo off the website.  Probably the best deal you'll find.  It's much better to have something worth using than to buy something inferior and not use it...

If you have Kohl's card, wait for a 30% off coupon to come your way and get your Zo off the website. Probably the best deal you'll find. It's much better to have something worth using than to buy something inferior and not use it...

I just checked on that recently, and at the time, it was still cheaper to use the 20%-off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond than it was to use the 30%-off Kohl's coupon, even when I counted in the Kohl's cash.

You can get some great deals at Kohl's if you're careful, but you always have to check around before you buy anything big from them, because their "regular" prices are often quite inflated, and they change pretty often.

Sure! This is the only bread that I start in the bread maker & finish in the oven because I haven't mastered the perfect "swirl" in my bread maker.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread Recipe - Money Saving Mom

ETA: I add my ingredients to my bread maker differently as per my model's manual, including room temp water.

I am eating cinnamon bread as I post.

I LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!

Of course, I had to add extra sugar and honey....

I've worn out several breadmakers.  My ZO has lasted longer than all of them put together.  It makes wonderful dough--which is my favorite way to use it,  but it turns out a nice loaf when I bake the bread in the machine.  I do add gluten which improves the texture. 

Are there raisins?

It's not cinnamon bread if there are no raisins.

I just printed the recipe and looked at the photos which show extra honey and raisins added to the rolled out dough.  I am on my way to the kitchen to try this! 

So, to update everyone, I've done well making bread in the thrift store one, but would like a model with better features. plus, this one the alarm doesn't work, so I have to set a separate timer to remind me when it is done. And it is hideous. So I'm (hopefully) getting the Cuisinart one, for $79 including shipping, from Costco. Costco has such a great return policy that if I hate it or it doesn't work well I can just take it back. And I feel that the price is in our budget right now. Splurging on the Zojirushi just isn't. Plus, I'd like to upgrade my grain mill in the near future, so would rather save money towards that. 

I use my only for dough making -- dump it in and forget it.  I'm kind of too busy to be watching it.  Then the kids can actually get it out, form the loaf, do the 2nd rise, and bake it.

Note -- you do not need to take the loaf out of the oven, preheat, and then put it back in following the 2nd rise.  If it's rising in there, you just turn the oven on and add 5 minutes to your cooking time.

Note -- you do not need to take the loaf out of the oven, preheat, and then put it back in following the 2nd rise.  If it's rising in there, you just turn the oven on and add 5 minutes to your cooking time.

This is a very helpful tip, thank you! I'm always paranoid about collapsing the loaf when I move it.

With your grain mill, is there a noticeable increase in quality of the bread?  

It took me a few tries to get the bread right...the flour is all "fluffed up" immediately after grinding, so if you measure it normally you may end up without enough flour. I've taken to weighing it instead, assuming 4oz per cup. Or, I stir it and pack it down a bit before spooning it into the measuring cup. 

But yes, the flavor from the fresh ground hard white wheat bread is excellent. And, I can say with total assurance that there is a difference in the fiber content. My um, bathroom trips are much quicker, but more numerous. I'm sure that's more information than you needed, lol, but yeah...more fiber for sure. 

Oh, yes, weighing is critical for flour.  Humidity levels can change how much you get otherwise.    

When I use a printed recipe I convert the cups to grams using a website that has the weight of a great many different types of flours.

But, for you, you probably have the weights figured out just right by now.   

DH and I are doing Medifast, but when in maintenance I will be shopping for a mill.  I considered it before, but I didn't know if it was worth it.  The extra info was helpful.  

So, to update everyone, I've done well making bread in the thrift store one, but would like a model with better features. plus, this one the alarm doesn't work, so I have to set a separate timer to remind me when it is done. And it is hideous. So I'm (hopefully) getting the Cuisinart one, for $79 including shipping, from Costco. Costco has such a great return policy that if I hate it or it doesn't work well I can just take it back. And I feel that the price is in our budget right now. Splurging on the Zojirushi just isn't. Plus, I'd like to upgrade my grain mill in the near future, so would rather save money towards that. 

Great! I hope it is something you like and you enjoy it. Yes, the Zoji is a total splurge. I prob wouldn't own one if KA hadn't closed out that particular model and I happened to see it on their website while I was looking for a recipe. I love the Zoji, but for me the thing that makes it stand out is that it is well built. When my Breadman was working it worked as well as the Zoji. The only problem was that it died quickly.

There are people who are total Zoji ninjas and know how to make that thing to exactly what they want (you can make your own programs etc) but I am not using it at that level. I just want to put the stuff in and press start, or the time and then start, lol. If you ever get the chance to go to the KA store they have them running all over the place. That is what they use in their test kitchens.

I figure that I would have spend more $$ on several cheaper bread machines by now, so when my Zoji dies I will prob replace with a cheaper model until I can afford a new Zoji. But I don't want to think about that! 

Good luck with your new machine. I hope it is a long, long, productive relationship

Great! I hope it is something you like and you enjoy it. Yes, the Zoji is a total splurge. I prob wouldn't own one if KA hadn't closed out that particular model and I happened to see it on their website while I was looking for a recipe. I love the Zoji, but for me the thing that makes it stand out is that it is well built. When my Breadman was working it worked as well as the Zoji. The only problem was that it died quickly.

There are people who are total Zoji ninjas and know how to make that thing to exactly what they want (you can make your own programs etc) but I am not using it at that level. I just want to put the stuff in and press start, or the time and then start, lol. If you ever get the chance to go to the KA store they have them running all over the place. That is what they use in their test kitchens.

I figure that I would have spend more $$ on several cheaper bread machines by now, so when my Zoji dies I will prob replace with a cheaper model until I can afford a new Zoji. But I don't want to think about that! 

Good luck with your new machine. I hope it is a long, long, productive relationship

that's actually great to hear! The longevity issue isn't such a big deal, since we are getting it from Costco and they have a lifetime satisfaction promise. So if it dies, I take it back. And yeah...i just want the ease of use, lol. And the Cuisinart looks nicer than what I have now, and will beep to tell me to add in raisins or whatnot, and will beep to tell me to take the paddle out if I don't want the hole int he bottom of the bread. Not sure I'll care, lol. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought this one a few months ago (no longer available at Kohl's). Up until then, I had been using my Kitchen Aid to make pizza dough & occasionally, bread. My biggest problem is that I'm not home for long stretches to deal with the rising, etc, when I make it by hand. With the bread maker, I put the ingredients in, set the timer if necessary (it needs to be removed within 1/2 hour of finishing), & let it go. It took a few tries initially but now I use my bread maker all the time! The loaves are taller than normal so I cut the loaf in half horizontally before slicing. Now, we make at least 1 white bread, 1 whole wheat bread (my DH does this), 1 pizza dough, and 1 cinnamon bread every week. We use this thing a LOT more than I thought we would!

Yes, homemade oven cooked bread has the best consistency and crust, but the bread maker still makes really good bread. I should also say that if I didn't have the bread maker, we would either eat store bought or do without.

Ktgrok,

FYI - I don't know if this is the same Cuisinart model you bought but I recently started having issues with black grease in my bread from the paddle. Ewwww! I didn't see anything about this in the reviews of the bread maker itself but I see the same thing happening here: Replacement Pan. {Sigh}

I called Cuisinart (still under warranty) & they are sending me a new bread maker at no cost but I'm responsible for the $10 to ship the old one back. I may have to start a Zojirushi fund.

We bought a bread maker at a thrift store for $10 and I've used it for at least three years.  BUT, I just use it to make the dough.  I always bake it in the oven.  In theory, I could make it in my Kitchen Aid, but I love the hands-off-ness of the bread maker. 

It is ugly.  It takes up way too much space.  I actually store it in the laundry room.  But even with all that, I love it.

Right now, I'm thinking about a fancy Zorijushi rice cooker or bread maker.  In theory, I would use the rice cooker more…but the bread maker calls to me.  Can't afford them both, though.   Although I do have four kids.  Hmmmm…. :)