Menu

ETC Online - Opinions?

DawnL

Okay, I started reading through the "what curriculum do  you hate?" thread and saw several people hate ETC online.

I've got this page up on sale at the Homeschool Buyer's Coop and I'm now wondering if it's a mistake to buy it.

Any thoughts? Good or bad?

My 7 year old is working his way through Reading Eggs, and ETC online seemed like a good thing to add to that. He can sound stuff out but it takes effort and he just hasn't "clicked" yet. (Please tell me that will be soon!) I really want him practicing phonics every day. He often balks at reading to me and I make him work through it because I know that's what he needs.

I have purchased ETC online a couple different times. Once for my oldest, and then again for my second and third. It was pretty much a "bust" each time. It seemed great... for about a week. It just did not hold their interest at all past the first month. All three of my kiddos are very different learners and have different personalities, and it didn't work for any of them! Especially if your child is used to reading eggs, ETC online will likely not hold his attention.

My kids did it and enjoyed it.  We did it as phonics review after they had done the workbooks.  I really liked that it railored what they did based upon how they were doing.  So, they would keep working on problem areas or move forward if they test out of a section.

My son is using it and it's a bust but we are pushing to finish.  My biggest complaint is that it takes off points for his speed in answering a question.  He is a slower processor so this may not be an issue for you.  The program is supposed to adjust to how the child performs.  So in our case my son is repeating lessons regularly that he knows because it scores him lower due to his speed.