Menu

what do I do now??? Updated

Background - I have lamost completed my 4 year teaching degree, in fact I am doing the final units before my final internship. I had a run in with one of the Tutors, who used very threatening language(In writing) towards me. I got advice from a student adviser and also from the complaints adviser, both discussed the situation with me and strongly advised me to file an official complaint so there was a paper train if this tutor failed me (as he was threatening to do). So I filed an official complaint. it was handled by the Coordinator of Bachelor of Education, who after reviewing the whole matter decided it would be best to shift me to the other tutor group. I have just about finished one of the main assignments for this unit. it was a research  question project. We had to go through a process of getting the topic approved by the tutor. I did all that etc and had approval etc with the tutor I had a problem with  I have spent a huge amount of time on it. it is almost done, jus the conclusion to go, it is due early next week. Last  night I was shifted into the new tutor group. I wrote an email to the new tutor introducing myself etc and told him the topic of my assignment. and how I was about about done etc. I received an email this morning. He (the new tutor) doesn't like my topic and told me to start over. :crying: :crying: :crying:

I do not have time to start over, I cannot start over, I have been working on this for weeks and weeks.

I have been frantically trying to contact the Coordinator of the Bachelor of Education all morning. I am so absolutely stressed out that I feel like a frozen rabbit. I cannot do anything but sit here and cry. if I do not finish (and pass) this unit then I cannot do my internship until  mid next year.

Before you start working your way up the food chain, have you actually spoken with or met with the new tutor to explain your situation? If there is a way to schedule an in-person meeting, I would try that first, and bring all of your work with you so the tutor can see how much time and effort you've put into it.

It's a lot harder to say no in person than it is to do it in an email.

If you go right over the tutor's head to whomever supervises him, you don't stand much of a chance at getting him to like you or want to help you. You may also get a reputation as being a troublemaker who is difficult to work with.

I'd do everything possible to work things out with the tutor before I complained about him to his boss.

It would be terrific to meet the tutor in person, but he lives on the complete other side of Australia, he lives in Perth, where the university is, I am completely on the other side of Australia, as far away form Perth that it is possible to get and be in the same country.

I have only been in the new tutor's group for less than a day. I thought as it was his boss that I have been dealing with and his boss that shifted me last night that she would be the one to talk to........... I don't know what to do

I am now trying student help desk. who are not very helpful after being on hold (and paying a fortune for STD across the country phone call)  I finally spoke to someone who hung up on me while she was placing me back  on hold :-(

Can you schedule a phone meeting with the tutor?

I'm just thinking that it would be a good idea to try to explain your situation to the guy in a one-on-one conversation and see if he will have some sympathy for you and at least agree to take a look at your work, because if you go over his head, your chances of having a good working relationship with him are going to be be slim to none.

I'm not sure why his supervisor would force him to accept your original project, anyway. He might agree to discuss it with the tutor, but at that point, the first thing the tutor would probably say was, "Why didn't she call me so we could talk about it?"

Considering that you really need to use your current work, it might be worth being super-nice to the new tutor and giving him a chance to change his mind. If that doesn't work, you can still go over his head later.

Ok, I finally got through to the student help desk and they advised ma that the only one who can help me is the Coordinator of the Bachelor of Education, and as she is the one that shifted me and said in her email that she would make the transition smooth  with the project I was working on.

Believe me I do not want to make another tutor offside with me. There are only two tutors for this unit!

Ok, I finally got through to the student help desk and they advised ma that the only one who can help me is the Coordinator of the Bachelor of Education, and as she is the one that shifted me and said in her email that she would make the transition smooth with the project I was working on.

Believe me I do not want to make another tutor offside with me. There are only two tutors for this unit!

I'm so sorry you're stuck in such a difficult position. It doesn't make any sense that the new tutor would insist that you start all over on a new project, as it seems completely unfair.

I can only imagine how upset you are about this. I would be in a panic over it.

I hope you can get everything worked out so you can use all of the work you've already done. :grouphug:

I would forward the email from the coordinator about making sure the transition was smooth with the same project and let him know this was your understanding, and just how many hours of work you've put into your project, (with an offer of draft/outline/bibliography to demonstrate) and ask him to please reconsider.

If he remains intractable, go over his head.

And for a much needed bit of humor, you can read about a good friend of mine's saga in online higher education:
http://aliceatwonderland.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/my-mls-degree-an-experiment-in-abnormal-psychology/

I would forward the email from the coordinator about making sure the transition was smooth with the same project and let him know this was your understanding, and just how many hours of work you've put into your project, (with an offer of draft/outline/bibliography to demonstrate) and ask him to please reconsider.

If he remains intractable, go over his head.

And for a much needed bit of humor, you can read about a good friend of mine's saga in online higher education:
http://aliceatwonderland.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/my-mls-degree-an-experiment-in-abnormal-psychology/

Good blog post.  I'm pretty sure I know the commentor on her blog IRL.  :-)

I was in a pretty distressed state all yesterday. I think I do not handle stress very well.  :crying:

I spoke to the Student Counselor, and he was absolutely outraged and said he thinks there is collusion- I told him I  don't think so but a possible huge misunderstanding. The counselor said if something is not done by Monday he is going to contact someone ( HIS FRIEND, I didn't catch what role) and raise an uproar. He said there is meant to be consistency between tutor groups and assignments assigned to students in the same units.

The Co-ordenator emailed me last night and told me it was her day off, and that she has spoken to the tutor and I need to give him time?? and to stop trying to get assistance form outside sources? I guess she is telling me off for ringing the counselor though I am not sure. And I cannot work out why the tutor needs time. Time is ticking away towards when the assignment is due.

Thanks for the update -- what a nuisance!!! :angry:

If I were you, I'd finish the project you've been working on. It sounds like time is getting really short and you don't want to take a chance that you'll finally get approved for the original project, but end up not having enough time to finish it.

This sounds like a real weasel deal, and I can't help but wonder if the Student Counselor might be right. I hope not, but the whole situation seems so odd.

I hope you get it worked out in your favor -- very, very soon!!! :grouphug:

I was in a pretty distressed state all yesterday. I think I do not handle stress very well. :crying:

I spoke to the Student Counselor, and he was absolutely outraged and said he thinks there is collusion- I told him I don't think so but a possible huge misunderstanding. The counselor said if something is not done by Monday he is going to contact someone ( HIS FRIEND, I didn't catch what role) and raise an uproar. He said there is meant to be consistency between tutor groups and assignments assigned to students in the same units.

The Co-ordenator emailed me last night and told me it was her day off, and that she has spoken to the tutor and I need to give him time?? and to stop trying to get assistance form outside sources? I guess she is telling me off for ringing the counselor though I am not sure. And I cannot work out why the tutor needs time. Time is ticking away towards when the assignment is due.

You're learning an age old lesson:

Teachers eat their young.

Finish the project you started and be the squeaky wheel on this one. Also make sure every step of this ugly mess is documented in full.

:iagree:

Get as much in writing as possible, and take notes on your phone conversations (with dates and times, in addition to the details.). Don't count on your memory being 100% accurate, particularly in a stressful and upsetting situation like this.

UPDATE

I have had a flurry of email with the tutor, he got pretty exasperated with me and told me that he thought I had completely missed the plot of the assignment. I replied saying that maybe I had and gave him a very brief 2 sentence run down.

he then asked me to email him my assignment as is in draft form . (Which is usually not done). he had a look and emailed me back saying that with a little polish and a slight tweaking of the research question it " is generally competent and will get me over the line"

I am so relieved

Thank you all for listening to my woes and giving me encouragement :thumbup:

I so love  you all, you are a refuge in times of distress

I have a few more assignments to do in my other units.  and 2 mathematics exams one on theory of learning and an actual high school math exam) but am very close to finishing

I have already organized  my internship. As long as I pass everything I will be doing the internship  from mid July to mid September (3rd term) in a grade 3/4 class of 60 children. it is a combined class with two teachers.

I'm so glad.

Make sure the tutor clearly defines for you what he means by polishing and tweaking so that you can turn in a perfect assignment. Quite frankly, I suspect that his looking at your rough draft project and grudgingly accepting it is his way of covering up his own bad behavior. You need to make doubly sure that you revise according to the tutor's specifications. Get those specs specifically in writing, and then send an email back to him confirming what you are doing.

Keep it chipper and be all gushy and thanking him for his help and input.

Very Big Smile!  i did an internship in a split 4/5 classroom with two teachers, and it was wonderful!  i hope you have a good time and learn lots.  one thing i discovered is that if i could manage 60, then anything less than that felt easier....

:)

ann