Menu

FLL4 to R&S 5 or 6?

SFM

My son has done all of the FLL and we did R&S for a stint and liked it but decided to finish up the FLL series since I had it on hand. He has a firm grasp on the concepts in FLL and can apply them, we do not do the chanting as memorizing all of these things aren't as important to me as him understanding and applying the principles taught. My question is I ordered R&S 5 and was looking through it and thought he might be okay already going into R&S 6. Has anyone seen both to compare for me?

Thanks in advance.

Personally I'd choose 5, but a few have chosen 6 for bright kids and seemed to do okay.

5 will keep grammar feeling easy to the DC, make lessons quick and generally painless, and you can always just double lessons if he is bored. My 5th grade DS in the 5 book thinks he is awesome at grammar, and he has no idea that he's really the frog in the slowly boiling pot of water.

6 will increase the amount of time and work you have to devote to grammar, and you could always spread out lessons so it takes longer to finish the book. This is doable, but consider what subjects you want to give this type of focus. I'd rather DS spend extra time in literature, science, or writing, and subjects like grammar and spelling stay short 'n sweet.

Personally I'd choose 5, but a few have chosen 6 for bright kids and seemed to do okay.

5 will keep grammar feeling easy to the DC, make lessons quick and generally painless, and you can always just double lessons if he is bored. My 5th grade DS in the 5 book thinks he is awesome at grammar, and he has no idea that he's really the frog in the slowly boiling pot of water.

6 will increase the amount of time and work you have to devote to grammar, and you could always spread out lessons so it takes longer to finish the book. This is doable, but consider what subjects you want to give this type of focus. I'd rather DS spend extra time in literature, science, or writing, and subjects like grammar and spelling stay short 'n sweet.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I completely agree with your last sentence. I would rather spend our time differently, so I think I will stick with 5. He seems to enjoy grammar and it's a pretty painless subject.

The other thing is that R&S Grammar only goes through level 8. We are stretching it out. Also, make sure you have the teacher manual for this one. The oral review at the start of the lesson is key. We also tend to only do odds or evens with the exercises. If there are a lot of mistakes we go over them and then ds still has some exercise problems to do correctly. Other wise it is A LOT of writing.

Actually the English series from Rod and Staff goes through grade 10. The last two books have much more writing, but grammar is still there.

We have gone back and forth with writing the lessons out versus just doing them orally. Right now we're all oral, even with DD in the 8 book. It takes twenty minutes tops, I know for sure that she understands and the lesson was done right, and there's no back and forth finished/graded/corrected process. Diagrams on the whiteboard. Easy peasy.