Menu

Who had a parent or spouse that worked(s) in a factory? Have you worked in a factory?

unsinkable

Who had a parent that worked(s) in a factory?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who had a parent that worked(s) in a factory? Not as a supervisor or engineer, etc

• Mom did or does work in a factory.
    • Dad did or does work in a factory.
    • I work or worked in a factory.
    • My spouse works or worked in a factory.
    • Nope, not mom, not dad, not spouse, not me
    • Other

After my parents divorced, my mom worked for many years in a factory that makes styrofoam products. She met my stepdad there; he worked there for a long time as well but now works in a brick factory. I grew up spending time at the factory with my mom (it was a small company and there were areas of work that were not dangerous for a child to be around) and worked in the same factory for a summer in high school. That job helped me truly appreciate how hard my parents worked to make ends meet. It also motivated me to do well in college and make a different path for my life.

My bio dad worked in a factory as well. His job was not as physically demanding as my mom's. He worked at the same company from high school graduation through retirement. The area where I grew up didn't have a lot of employment opportunities, especially for people with no higher education or technical skills.

My mom worked in a coffee packaging place. I guess you would call it a factory? Anyways, during one of her many layoffs she volunteered at a hospital and decided to become a nurse. By the time the coffee plant called her back to work she was in school to be an RN.

When I first moved to the town where I used to live, I registered with a temp agency. I spent one day on an assembly line making music stands and another day at a factory that printed phone books (I was too short and not strong enough to do the line job they assigned me). Both experiences were physically draining and mind-numbingly dull, but they both gave me an appreciation for the people who do that kind of work every day. Neither of my parents worked in a factory, at least not that I know of.  I voted Nope because I don't think my short time as a temp counts.

My dad worked in a magazine/paper factory his whole working life.  Dh worked in one while going to tech school.  I worked in a magazine factory the summer between high school and tech school.  I bought my first car with that money. :thumbup1:

I worked in a metal finishing plant for one summer after graduating college and before starting graduate school. I loved it. It was a refreshing change of pace from anything I had ever done before. I rode my bike to work every day and ate my lunch on the banks of the Mississippi River. It was very repetitive work, but I didn't mind because my mind was free to do whatever I wanted. I worked out lots of math proofs in my head and then would spend evenings writing them up.

I don't know how I would feel if I had worked there for years, but for one summer, it was quite enjoyable.

My dh works for a company (I guess it would be a factory?) that makes extruded aluminum products.  He's a supervisor now, but he started out as a regular saw operator.  My dad spent most of his adult life working in a paper mill (again, I'm not sure what does or doesn't count as a factory).  And my mom worked in a small factory for a few years when I was a teen.

My parents both did factory work here and there on a temporary basis. On my birth certificate my father's occupation is listed as "machine operator in box factory" or something like that. I held a lot of random jobs from age 12 until I was in college. No factory work though I did work packing boxes and mailing them.

DH works at BMW plant...I guess that's a factory. Been there almost three years, and even with a college degree, it's the best paying, best benefits, best retirement job he's ever had. Plan is that he will work there until he retires....of course moving up to management at some point (only those with a degree can go into management).

My mom spent 40 years working in two different electronics assembly plants, and only retired when she was laid off with several others as work was outsourced.  She loved that job, making DC power supplies, soldering, etc.

For someone like her, who is not one who appreciates change and prefers to know exactly what is happened each day, it was a perfect career fit.  For me, it would be my worst nightmare due to the sameness of each day.  Everyone is different!

Dh does right now. He has an MA and is actively looking for a job more suited to his education/background, but this was available and he took it. Never thought it would be something we would do but he is learning some interesting things about yogurt (: it is pretty strenuous work.

I worked in a couple of factories as a line worker / machine operator.  My dad worked in factories for many years, first as a machine operator, then a foreman, then an electrician, then an electrical engineer until he retired.  My brother and sister have worked in factories for most of their careers.  Again, initially as a line worker and gradually earning more responsibility.  My granny worked in a factory for many years also.

My mom worked in a factory putting the little plastic dots on those souvenir purses you get on vacation. She hated it and it didn't last long.

Dh worked in manufacturing at IBM. It doesn't sound like a factory job, but it was. His dad worked in a factory too, metal smelting, before he became a police officer. Dh's mom worked in an electronics factory. I never worked in a factory and I am not sure if my dad did!!!!

My dad worked in what he called a "milk plant" that pasteurized and bottled milk, and then he later moved over to their ice cream operation.  He worked for them all through high school and college, and then worked at various food processing plants in graduate school on the weekends and in the summer.

Some years later when it looked like he was going to get laid off from his university job, he actually went to the local "milk plant" to see if they had any positions.  They did and were interested in hiring someone with experience, but he wasn't laid off and never had to go work there.

I think everyone in my immediate family has worked in a factory at one time or another. Ah, my youngest brother hasn't. Everyone else has. 

I worked 3 part time factory jobs every summer I was in college (60-80 hrs a week). I used that money to pay down on my college debt and buy books. Sometimes I'm amazed at how few people have done this kind of thing.  I liked it better than fast food and retail. 

I'm counting textile mills as factory, so my dad worked as a doffer in the spinning room for a while in the 1960s before he got a job with the phone company. My stepmother did until she was in her 40s (she was working in the weave room, then they married and she moved here from a couple of counties over). My stepbrother did for many years (lost part of 2 fingers in an accident there as well), not sure what part of the mill, but then became a truck driver and now dispatcher. My maternal grandfather was a foreman on the loading dock at a bleachery when he retired after many years, having risen through the ranks, so not sure where that fits in. My maternal grandmother left 8th grade and worked in the mill until her marriage in her late 20s. The vast majority of my father's side of the family in the area worked in the textile mills, as did the majority of my mother's ancestors. Not as many have in recent years because the mills shut down and those jobs are gone. My only experience with production work was a couple of days as a temp at a machine shop, stamping out parts.

my mom worked in a factory for many years.  THe factory made jeans.  My mom started out as a seamstress and then became an inspector.  she enjoyed the job.

My grandmother worked as a welder at an airplane factory during World War II.

Dh's aunt worked at a chocolate candy factory and would bring home all the broken pieces