Menu

I had to go into the post office today..

Snickerdoodle

Heh. We have a supremely grouchy post office counter guy, too. I've made it my mission to get him to be pleasant to me. He probably thinks I'm demented, as the surlier he is, the chirpier I get. I think he's onto my game and is doubling down, so I might just have to find some cartoon bluebirds for my shoulder.

Our post office is staffed with really nice people. I think they must drink in the back room- they're nice even when people argue with them.   

On the other hand, our DMV is staffed with people with surly attitudes who work so slowly they are often mistaken for mannequins. 

The post office six miles from here is truly wonderful, and I love the postmaster.

My local one...two blocks from here. Atrocious! Sometimes I want to hand her a bottle of rum and say, "Before you talk to another human being, please drink this."

Our Secretary of State (DMV) 9 miles away is staffed with the nicest, most helpful people you could ever know. However, there was one location in our county - an extension office - that was closed after there were so many complaints of gross incompetence and rotten attitudes that the entire staff was sent to Lansing for a week of customer service seminars and THEY FAILED! I kid you not...they refused to even try, right there in front of people with the power to get them fired. Five people lost their very, very good government jobs because they refused to apply themselves to doing the work properly or being nice/helpful. Staggers the imagination and especially in a county that still has an unemployment rate over 15%!

I predict that our P.O. will be closed soon.

Heh. We have a supremely grouchy post office counter guy, too. I've made it my mission to get him to be pleasant to me. He probably thinks I'm demented, as the surlier he is, the chirpier I get. I think he's onto my game and is doubling down, so I might just have to find some cartoon bluebirds for my shoulder.

I played that same game at the driver's license office a couple of weeks ago. My husband sent us all to NYC as a joint birthday gift back in October, so my son's only "gift" one his actual birthday this month was that we gave him permission to test for his permit.

On the appointed day, I took him to the office, and I was doing my best to make it something of an occasion. But the woman at the counter was just awful. She complained about everything, predicted problems with his records that didn't materialize and lectured him like he was clearly some sort of delinquent. I just kept smiling at both of them and making eye contact with the desk lady and just being as cheerful as a human being can possibly be.

I'm not sure whether it was my sparkling personality or the fact that my son aced his exam on the first try (which, based on my eavesdropping while waiting, was not typical), but we eventually broke the ice. And by the time we were leaving, she actually laughed a little and wished us a good day.

I was exhausted.

Awww, that sucks.  I hate people like that!

I miss our military post offices in Germany.  Everyone was so nice and efficient and just friendly and funny.  Some of them knew me from Heidelberg, as they moved up to Wiesbaden when two of the HD post offices closed due to the hand over of the post back to the Germans.  It was odd to hear them say, "Hey, I haven't seen you in a while!  How have you been?"  I never figured out WHY everyone was so pleasant (as opposed to those who seem to staff the po's in the States), but it could have something to do with the fact that it is a sweet assignment to get to live in Europe, and they pay is higher over there, plus they get COLA and housing allowance.   James Bond is convinced one of the workers who moved up from HD had the hots for me.  The guy remembered my name (last name, of course), and noticed any time I did something different with my hair, makeup, etc.  He also always seemed to try to wait on me when I was at the po.  One day I went in and he waited on me.  When I walked up to the counter, he cocked his head to the side and said, "Hey, I like that shade of lipstick on you.  It's different from what you normally wear.  It looks good."   I was in the package pick up room so frequently (thanks to Amazon) that if I didn't go in for a few days, the workers would tell me they were worried because they hadn't seen me.  Once we were out of town for 2 weeks (we'd already put a hold on our mail, so they knew we weren't going to be there), and when I went in to collect all our mail, two of the guys told me they were so worried they'd considered sending out a search party.  :)  Whenever I'd walk into the package room, even if there were 10 other people there, when one of them saw me, they'd always say "Hey, Mrs [Heels]!  How are you?"  One time a guy in front of me turned to me and said "You must get a lot of packages."  It was kind of embarrassing.  BTW, this post had at least 1500 people on it.  

I hate going to the po in the States.  I feel like I'm in line for a beating.  The buildings are so dreary and soul sucking.