Menu

Standardized tests

Are you required to test at a certain grade level, or could you have her take a kindergarten assessment?

Is she required to meet a certain minimum, or is the score itself irrelevant?

If the score doesn't matter, I'd have her do your test of choice and let the chips fall where they may.

If she has to meet a certain minimum (like 33rd percentile) and you don't think she's likely to, I'd see if the law allows you to offer, say, the kindergarten Iowa test. If you don't have that option... I'd look into what happens exactly if she doesn't meet the minimum. (I think in states that have that, you have to turn in a plan for remediation next year, but they don't compel you to enroll her in school.)

In my state we are required to turn in test scores before the new school year. I have a first grader that is still struggling with reading. Does anyone know of an assessment test that might fit? She is only required to test in reading and math.

Give her an end-of-first-grade test anyway. If it shows that she is not up to grade level in reading, well, isn't that the truth?