Menu

What are you currently reading?

blondeviolin

This is the second time I've read aloud to my 8 year old the greatest love story ever written,  The Wainscott Weasel by Tor Seidler. My husband is reading aloud Dragon Rider to her. I just finished Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine and he just finished The Lord of the Rings trilogy by Tolkien with her.

Aloud we are reading Meindert DeJong's The Wheel on The School, and enjoying it immensely.

Personally I am between books and would love to hear what the rest of you are reading. I just finished a good nonfiction read but before that it was the latest Flavia de Luce mystery, The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches. I have a couple of books out from the library but can't seem to get interested in them, which is a bummer, since I'm kind of craving a story right now.

I have a few going on....

Idris by Anita Nair - not that into it, probably won't finish it!

History of the Renaissance World by our very own SWB - I take it in chapters and then take a break to let it sink it.

Far from the Tree by Andrew Solomon - just finished it and really enjoyed it overall.  A book about parenting children whose identities (either due to medical issues, or gender issues, or other issues) are different from the parents.  It was enlightening in so many ways.

Dr. Doolittle - reading aloud with my DS.

Divergent - about to start so I can discuss with DD.

I'm in the midst of The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne and Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson. I keep one fiction and one non-fiction going at a time and have to discipline myself to maintain that limit as I tend to either start too many books or else get bogged down in one until I'm not reading at all. One of each is my balancing point. :D Meanwhile, I have a list as long as my arm that I'm working through and trying not to add to it. I have been avoiding the book-a-week thread for this reason and probably shouldn't continue reading this thread, either. :P

Enjoying? Or reading? LOL

Currently, I am reading The Teenage Liberation Handbook, Free Range Learning, TWTM (sporadically), and several threads from this site are open on my computer at the moment re: relaxed-ish schooling. I'm still trying to find my "groove". Strict and structured does not work for my kids or me, apparently.

For brain candy and processing time for all educational stuff, every once in a while I'll open up a fluffy romance novel on the kindle and disappear into a millionaire's world and love life for an hour or two. :)

I just finished reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, which was SO GOOD :-)
I am starting Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. So far so good.

As for a read aloud for my kiddos, we just finished The cricket in Times Square, which they totally loved, and are now reading Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse. I suspect we will be making our way through every book our library has about these characters over the next month or so. :-)

I just started The Goldfinch.  I'm sure it's going to be as wonderful as the reviews indicate, but so far it hasn't quite grabbed me.  But I'm only ten percent in.

Prior to that I read The Poisonwood Bible and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read.

I am reading How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie.  Great book with lots of good tips.  I had to take a break because dh got into it before I finished it so I lost the book for a while.  I think I am going to read Anthem next by Ayn Rand.

We are just about to finish Little House in the Big Woods as a read aloud, Mr Poppers Penguins is next on the list I think.

I just finished Deconstructing Penguins, Catch Me if You Can, and the Hobbit. I'm in the middle of Rush Revere... (which is very poorly written - I'm surprised its as big of a hit as it is!)

What are you currently enjoying?

I have thought about the Rush Revere book before, what was wrong with it if I may ask?

I am reading We are Water by Wally Lamb.  So far I am really enjoying it.

As a read aloud to the 14 yo, we just finished Beautiful Creatures last night and moving into Beautiful Darkness today.

For the 12 yo, we are reading Jinx. 

I like all of our read alouds right now!  Jinx was a bit slow to get into, but it is enjoyable now.

I just finished the entire Anne of Green Gables series, and then gobbled up The Wheel on the School.  I'm looking forward to reading that one with the kids - it was SO good!  A couple of days ago I started John Adams by McCullough, but it looks like it won't be much of a pleasure read...

Living on the Border of Holy, Countryman (EFM group)

How Jesus Became God, Ehrman

This I Believe: Life Lessons, Gediman

Sitting on my shelf/next up:

The Time Keeper, Albom

The Language of Flowers, Diffenbaugh

Still Life with Bread Crumbs, Quindlen

Hey, I'm in EfM, too! We are behind a bit. We have to play catch up and have an extra class.

I'm reading a tome on church history for the above class. I just finished The Returned, and am almost done with the 3rd Call the Midwife.

I tried Bark, but dropped it after the first story.

Dd just started To Kill A Mockingbird in school, so I'm going to pick it up so we can talk about it. It's the only classic she's assigned this year. I also want to read Divergent and the rest of the series--she read the first, and I'm debating about allowing the rest.

I just finished reading The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, which was SO GOOD :-)
I am starting Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. So far so good.

As for a read aloud for my kiddos, we just finished The cricket in Times Square, which they totally loved, and are now reading Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse. I suspect we will be making our way through every book our library has about these characters over the next month or so. :-)

Loved The Husband's Secret! :D 

Oh, and The Cricket in Times Square is one of our all time favorite read alouds!

I just started The Goldfinch.  I'm sure it's going to be as wonderful as the reviews indicate, but so far it hasn't quite grabbed me.  But I'm only ten percent in.

Prior to that I read The Poisonwood Bible and thought it was one of the best books I've ever read.

I was hoping I would like The Goldfinch because so many others did. Maybe it will grow on you. :)

:iagree: about The Poisonwood Bible.

I am currently reading Bertie Plays the Blues by Alexander McCall Smith. A fun read so far.

Our read alouds for my daughter are listed above.

My personal reading right now is Rwanda's Rebirth and the Man Who Dreamed it by Kinzer. It's about Paul Kagame's rise to power and how he dramatically improved present day Rwanda. It's one of the books I'm reading that fit into the category "people who have solved or improved big problems." Any other suggestions are welcome.  I started a thread about that a couple of days ago.

When I'm done I'll read the final installment of a series I've been reading for pleasure. The Saxon Tales: Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell. It's set at the time of KIng Alfred in England.  It's historical fiction for adults and it does a particularly good job of comparing and contrasting Viking culture to the English culture at the time.

I just finished the entire Anne of Green Gables series, and then gobbled up The Wheel on the School.  I'm looking forward to reading that one with the kids - it was SO good!  A couple of days ago I started John Adams by McCullough, but it looks like it won't be much of a pleasure read...

Wheel on the School is a huge favorite here.  I've read it 3 times so far and will probably read it aloud once more before all the children are completely grown. :)

John Adams was excellent, and the video (by HBO?) was excellent as well.  I would read, then watch the video of the part I read, then read again.  (I did not enjoy the last video, but as it's a biography I guess that makes sense.) I hope you enjoy it too!

Personally I am between books and would love to hear what the rest of you are reading. I just finished a good nonfiction read but before that it was the latest Flavia de Luce mystery, The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches. I have a couple of books out from the library but can't seem to get interested in them, which is a bummer, since I'm kind of craving a story right now.

What type of stories do you typically enjoy? I love Flavia too. Have you tried Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway (who is John Le Carre's son)? Rip-roaring fun, imo. A mix of adventure/spy/clockwork/steampunk:

A Wall Street Journal and Booklist Best Mystery of 2012
A Best Science Fiction Book of 2012 -- The Guardian
GeekDad's Best Adult Fiction of 2012 -- Wired.com

Finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and the Arthur C. Clarke Award

A rollicking romp of a spy thriller from the acclaimed author of The Gone-Away World.

Joe Spork fixes clocks. He has turned his back on his father’s legacy as one of London’s flashiest and most powerful gangsters and aims to live a quiet life. Edie Banister retired long ago from her career as a British secret agent. She spends her days with a cantankerous old pug for company. That is, until Joe repairs a particularly unusual clockwork mechanism, inadvertently triggering a 1950s doomsday machine. His once-quiet life is suddenly overrun by mad monks who worship John Ruskin, psychopathic serial killers, mad geniuses and dastardly villains. On the upside, he catches the eye of bright and brassy Polly, a woman with enough smarts to get anyone out of a sticky situation. In order to save the world and defeat the nefarious forces threatening it, Joe must help Edie complete a mission she abandoned years ago, and he must summon the courage to pick up his father’s old gun and join the fight.

I'm the opposite, lol. Didn't care for The Poisonwood Bible, yet loved The Goldfinch.

When I'm done I'll read the final installment of a series I've been reading for pleasure. The Saxon Tales: Pagan Lord by Bernard Cornwell. It's set at the time of KIng Alfred in England.  It's historical fiction for adults and it does a particularly good job of comparing and contrasting Viking culture to the English culture at the time.

My dd had to read the first one in that series for her lit class this year & she loved it. She's since read the next three. I need to buy the remaining few in the series for her....

I'm reading The Good Earth and it's great. I'm reading everything my 10th grader is reading and having loads of fun discussing it with him.

Isn't she a great writer? I read the sequel, too. Since I am Chinese, I could hear the dialogs in Chinese. It never stops amazing me how Pearl Buck understood the Chinese men so well. You have to read her other books.

I read so many books at once. Right now I'm working on don't quixote(I'm loving it but nonfiction reading keeps pulling me away from it!) Memorizing the faith, just started this and am very interested to see if the techniques are helpful for me and my kids in the future. I'm also reading bits of Charlotte mason's books, can't remember which one I'm on at the moment though.

Oh and winnie the pooh is are read aloud currently

Isn't she a great writer? I read the sequel, too. Since I am Chinese, I could hear the dialogs in Chinese. It never stops amazing me how Pearl Buck understood the Chinese men so well. You have to read her other books.

The Good Earth, Sons, and A House Divided by Pearl Buck are a trilogy.  It's one of my favorite series.

I've read all her books as she's one of my favorite authors.

I'm reading the Cat Who books.  I am getting near the end though.  I think there are 29 books in the series and I'm on 25 (I think).  I'm really enjoying them.  I don't know what I will read when I finish these.  I may be on here asking for recommendations.

After reading The Book Thief a couple weeks ago I wanted more WWII so I'm reading The Diary of Anne Frank now, I'm debating on Lies My Teacher Told Me or Drunk With Blood.

Our current read alouds are Dr. Doolittle, SOTW, Evolution, and Life of Fred.

I have thought about the Rush Revere book before, what was wrong with it if I may ask?

It just feels very contrived. I feel like I'm reading a Babysitter's Club book. (And Rush and his cohorts keep appearing around the Pilgrims at certain times but leave huge gaps between...) I think mostly it just feels as though Limbaugh made up his own rules to the story as they came up or it was necessary. My 7yo is reading it too. She hasn't articulated why, but she's not plowing through it like she does quality book. (Her last reads before this were the Secret Garden and Voyages of Dr. Doolittle. He devoured those in three days each. Rush is going on 10 days for something smaller in size.)

After reading The Book Thief a couple weeks ago I wanted more WWII so I'm reading The Diary of Anne Frank now, I'm debating on Lies My Teacher Told Me or Drunk With Blood.

Our current read alouds are Dr. Doolittle, SOTW, Evolution, and Life of Fred.

One of the most insightful books we read about WWII was, They Thought They Were Free by Milton Mayer.

My middle daughter is assigned Lies My Teacher Told Me in her current English 101 class at the community college.  She of course, wasn't educated the way the book descibes and criticizes as we used a lot of primary sources and living books.  She says the author is annoyingly snarky.

It just feels very contrived. I feel like I'm reading a Babysitter's Club book. (And Rush and his cohorts keep appearing around the Pilgrims at certain times but leave huge gaps between...) I think mostly it just feels as though Limbaugh made up his own rules to the story as they came up or it was necessary. My 7yo is reading it too. She hasn't articulated why, but she's not plowing through it like she does quality book. (Her last reads before this were the Secret Garden and Voyages of Dr. Doolittle. He devoured those in three days each. Rush is going on 10 days for something smaller in size.)

That's how I felt reading it. I couldn't finish it. It was kind of one-dimensional.

I too love Pearl S. Buck. If you can read her autobiography, My Several Worlds, it's worth reading. 

Recently finished: Sweet Land, a book of short stories by Will Weaver and A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan. Once I got into it, I greatly enjoyed Sweet Land. Dragons started out a fun romp and I got bogged down a bit by the main characters crazy decisions. Intellectual curiosity is one thing, total lack of impulse control or forethought is another. 

Currently reading: Mostly The Summer Book by Tove Jansson and The Liar's Club by Mary Karr. The Summer Book is a dream, very poetic and gorgeous and funny...and short. It follows the relationship of a grieving girl and her grandmother as they summer at a family retreat on an island off the coast of Finland. Jansson wrote a famous European children's series called the Moomintroll books. The Liar's Club is an east Texas memoir of the '60s (and '80s a bit). Well and carefully written. Vibrant characterizations. Enjoying it so far. 

I've also dipped my toe into Incarnadine (poetry), The Neddiad (youth fiction by Daniel Pinkwater), The Divine Comedy (just Inferno read really, really slowly), Labyrinths (Borges), and Critique of Criminal Reason (some kind of mystery with Immanuel Kant as a character). In case I get bored, you know.  :rolleyes: That wouldn't do. 

Read aloud: Five Children and It

I'm reading All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood by Jennifer Senior.  It's really interesting, and has given me a lot of insight into why modern parents do things the way we do.

We're doing Redwall for our read-aloud right now, too.

I had surgery yesterday, so my anaesthesia-riddled brain can only manage something light and easy like J.D. Robb's Naked in Death. I must be old and grumpy, because instead of drooling over Roarke, I am fantasizing about the Autochef and housecleaning droids. :o

Wishing you a speedy recovery!  And, yes, I lust after that Autochef, too.

I've just begun the historical romance No Good Duke Goes Unpunished: The Third Rule of Scoundrels by Sarah MacLean.

Regards,

Kareni

I am currently listening to Fellowship of the Ring with my boys. Youngest is really into it and wanting to listen more then we do. Eldest doesn't want us to listen without him, but wants us to listen less.

Not a book, but close enough. I am listening to Great Pharohs of Ancient Egypt by Bob Brier. We have the DVD but I play it for the boys while I do dishes so I don't see the screen but I hear the audio. 

I had surgery yesterday, so my anaesthesia-riddled brain can only manage something light and easy like J.D. Robb's Naked in Death. I must be old and grumpy, because instead of drooling over Roarke, I am fantasizing about the Autochef and housecleaning droids. :o

Hope you're feeling better soon! :grouphug:

I'm rereading OneThousand Gifts and am about halfway through Darwin's Doubt and about to start The Mysterious Benedict Society. Out of Africa is waiting for me at the library.

Reading Signs and Seasons a couple chapters ahead of our science reading/lessons.
Current RA is Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.