Menu

SWB library book list recomendation for each visit?

The 1st and 3rd edition lists are a bit different. 

This is the 3rd edition.

On each library visit, I had them check out the following books: one science book, one history book, one art or music appreciation book, one practical book (a craft, hobby, or “how-toâ€), a biography or autobiography, a classic novel (or an adaptation suited to age), an imaginative storybook, a book of poetry.

The 1st edition had 3 student choice selections, and I know poetry wasn't required. 

Thanks! I'm curious, does she recommend how often she visited the library? I only seem to get there every 3 weeks...

This is the 3rd edition.

On each library visit, I had them check out the following books: one science book, one history book, one art or music appreciation book, one practical book (a craft, hobby, or “how-toâ€), a biography or autobiography, a classic novel (or an adaptation suited to age), an imaginative storybook, a book of poetry.

The 1st edition had 3 student choice selections, and I know poetry wasn't required. 

This is the 3rd edition.

Thanks, Hunter. I think I'm going to do this with my dd7.

I'm a bit unclear though about what SWB means with an 'imaginative storybook'. Would that be fairy tales/fables? Of fantasy? Or anything not completely realistic? :bigear:

We have a tiny little library in our town of less than 1000 people.  Their selection is not great.  When we go to the library I let the kids pick out whatever they want.  But I order mandatory reading to supplement our curriculum through the interlibrary loan system.  I usually order a mix of historical fiction (a mix of imaginative picture books and longer novels), literature/classics, and biographies which I pick up each week.  Occasionally I'll order a science or music related book, but we usually just use what we have at home - textbooks and the Venezia series.

Thanks, Hunter. I think I'm going to do this with my dd7.

I'm a bit unclear though about what SWB means with an 'imaginative storybook'. Would that be fairy tales/fables? Of fantasy? Or anything not completely realistic? :bigear:

I wondered the same thing when I first read that. Later readings in TWTM 3rd ed. and elsewhere seem to imply that means good quality fiction. It seems to overlap with "classic", and is sometimes a little more modern–I think.

What I did was look at the organization of the books at my local library and adapt the list to that organization. Our "fiction" is separate from the "traditional literature". "Classics" are spread out between both sections, so I don't use that term. I just use the terms the library uses, to make sure students look in both areas, and choose a variety.

FWIW, I just went to the SWB keynote at the VaHomeschoolers conference last weekend, and I believe there she said one book for science, poetry, nonfiction, and fiction. That was it.

I heard that same presentation, and I believe you are correct. I know poetry was in there, because she made a joke that yes, her kids do actually read poetry... after they've read everything else! IIRC, she also said they tried to visit the library at least every other week.

We are at the library at least twice a week, so I do have to figure out what to do with returning books. I completely expect my dd7 to choose a book in each category and then return them all next visit, without having read certain categories :lol:.

1st edition list:

Their cards allowed them to check out seven books each, and I made them follow a specific pattern: one biography, one science book, one history book, one practical or arts-and-crafts book, and three books of their own choosing–stories, poetry, or nonfiction. We always read everything we brought home.

1st edition list:

Their cards allowed them to check out seven books each, and I made them follow a specific pattern: one biography, one science book, one history book, one practical or arts-and-crafts book, and three books of their own choosing–stories, poetry, or nonfiction. We always read everything we brought home.

That last sentence 'we always read everything we brought home' is the kicker. That would totally work with dd10. She loves to read, reads fast, so 7 books a week.....would not be enough for her....so she would definitely read every book, from every category.

But my dd7 is a slow reader and much prefers to play outside and run around. It would be difficult to get her to read more than 1 (maybe 2) books a week...unless I start demanding way more assigned reading time, and I'm not sure I want that at 7yo. Hmmmm. I have to think about this.

I do think that asking her to find one fiction, one science and one history book each time is going to work. I'm not so sure about the other categories, because it would make for too many books and also because those kind of books (except for the practical books) are generally at a higher (too high for her) reading level in Dutch.