Menu

Registered letter from local school district in CA???? Any ideas?? UPDATE in post 82... It's HERE!!

So I was out today and got home to a note that I had missed a registered letter from my local school district...what could it be??? We are registered as a private school for those familiar with CA and it came in the name of the school.My curiosity is peaked, not really worried per se. Anyone get one before?

This is the 2nd year we are registered as a private school in this district, but I had an increase in the number of students (I am acting as a cover school for some friends kids, they felt more comfortable like that since they are new to it and it is ok in CA to do so.)

Going to call for them to redeliver it tomorrow.....

Do you now have 6 or more students including your children? If you do then you are listed in the private school directory from the CA Dept. of Ed.

Here is the link

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/si/ps/

Perhaps the other kids' previous school wants to release their records to you? 

Yes, I am listed on there. But all of these kids are coming out of private schools, so I don't think that is it. 

Now you guys are making me nervous... no one ever got a letter registered from the local school district????

No way they know about any of these kids to inquire about them as they all have either been homeschooled or in private schools. Hmmm...........

This is very unusual. Are you a member of HSLDA? 

Ellie, here I was hoping you were going to say it was normal for schools with 6+ kids. :huh:

I checked last night and for some reason this year, the directory of private schools here was JUST released on Feb. 24th (why so late I don't know). And this is the 1st year we showed on that list. So maybe a welcome to the district letter :laugh: .

None of the kids enrolled have EVER been in any public school or public school program (speech services etc.). So I don't think it is anything about the kids as they don't even know the kids exist :lol: . IF it is about one of the kids, then I will be very upset, because DH and I went through the list and the only places who know the kids ages/names/address/etc. are doctor offices. And that info is supposed to be private. HIPAA and all that.

When I worked at a private school in another district (I was a teacher, so not involved with day to day admin), I recall them getting a packet from the local school about services for kids in private schools. But I don't recall it being a registered letter?

So I suspect it is the official notification that any kids enrolled may be eligible for special services (speech, therapy, remediation, etc.) through the district.

And no I am not a member, but I have read that the only thing a local district can ask for is if student xyz with birthdate xx 00, 200x is enrolled as a full time student in good standing. And if they ask for a list of students enrolled, to ignore it as it is outside of their purview.

Just remember, they have no lawful authority over you. A registered letter doesn't change that. Deep breaths! I had a district person try to flex some muscle at me once, and I just flexed it right back at him. He backed down.

Let's do an exercise. You are the administrator of a private school. Your compensation package is generous, people stand a little straighter when you walk in the room, you have the power to hire and fire. You are respected. Now flaunt it like you've got it.

Ellie, here I was hoping you were going to say it was normal for schools with 6+ kids. :huh:

I checked last night and for some reason this year, the directory of private schools here was JUST released on Feb. 24th (why so late I don't know). And this is the 1st year we showed on that list. So maybe a welcome to the district letter :laugh: .

None of the kids enrolled have EVER been in any public school or public school program (speech services etc.). So I don't think it is anything about the kids as they don't even know the kids exist :lol: . IF it is about one of the kids, then I will be very upset, because DH and I went through the list and the only places who know the kids ages/names/address/etc. are doctor offices. And that info is supposed to be private. HIPAA and all that.

When I worked at a private school in another district (I was a teacher, so not involved with day to day admin), I recall them getting a packet from the local school about services for kids in private schools. But I don't recall it being a registered letter?

So I suspect it is the official notification that any kids enrolled may be eligible for special services (speech, therapy, remediation, etc.) through the district.

And no I am not a member, but I have read that the only thing a local district can ask for is if student xyz with birthdate xx 00, 200x is enrolled as a full time student in good standing. And if they ask for a list of students enrolled, to ignore it as it is outside of their purview.

I owned/administered a PSP for 16 years. Never received a registered letter from the school district. o_0

I *strongly* recommend HSLDA membership for every member of your PSP, including yourself if you are homeschooling.

If the children enrolled in your PSP have Social Security numbers, then yes, it is possible for the school district to know that they exist. o_0

Yes, the only thing that a school district can ask for is if a specific child is enrolled.

Have any of your parents been contacted?

Have any of your parents been contacted?

Nope, as all 4 kids are residents here, but parents wanted to school "on the road" for 6 months or so to visit grandparents, so they are "travel schooling" abroad. One of the Fathers was here recently and he would have mentioned any mail/calls regarding schooling.

And I guess they do have SS#s, but why would SS or the IRS (only 2 agencies that have their info) be in contact with the local school district?? None of the kids (mine or the other 4) have IEPs or are on disability of any type.

Well, I guess we will find out in a 4-5 hours when mail is delivered here.

Nope, as all 4 kids are residents here, but parents wanted to school "on the road" for 6 months or so to visit grandparents, so they are "travel schooling" abroad. One of the Fathers was here recently and he would have mentioned any mail/calls regarding schooling.

And I guess they do have SS#s, but why would SS or the IRS (only 2 agencies that have their info) be in contact with the local school district?? None of the kids (mine or the other 4) have IEPs or are on disability of any type.

Well, I guess we will find out in a 4-5 hours when mail is delivered here.

It is probably nothing, except for weird, lol. :-)

Can you go to the post office and retrieve the letter instead of waiting for it?

I think it is a generic "Child Find" letter that some public school districts send to ALL private schools in order to search out all students who might be eligible for special education. Child Find is mandated by Federal Law. The registered letter to all private schools (and now that you have 6 or more students you are listed in the private school directory) is one easy way for districts to verify they are meeting this mandate.

I think it is a generic "Child Find" letter that some public school districts send to ALL private schools in order to search out all students who might be eligible for special education. Child Find is mandated by Federal Law. The registered letter to all private schools (and now that you have 6 or more students you are listed in the private school directory) is one easy way for districts to verify they are meeting this mandate.

This is what I suspect it is.

Gosh, what some people have to deal with to homeschool! I really take it for granted how lucky I am that IN has no rules.

Yeah me too. My state requires we register as home schoolers and send attendance records but that's it. I'll have a harder time convincing my parish that I'll be teaching religious ed at home and not enrolling in their program.

Gosh, what some people have to deal with to homeschool!  I really take it for granted how lucky I am that IN has no rules.

Actually what is funny is that homeschools in CA are technically private schools. So we don't register our kids or anything. That is what makes it even more odd...

The last time I was waiting for the mail with this kind of anticipation I was waiting for Beast Academy. 

:laugh: !

Well it is 5:30pm here and no letter yet. Don't they know the Hive is waiting... :glare:

I assume that they didn't put it on the truck today. :huh:  It did rain here today. My PO carrier has a habit of not wanting to walk up to the door to deliver (long story, his manager had to come deliver an overnight package once after hours, it had been on his truck, but "he couldn't find it")

:laugh: !

Well it is 5:30pm here and no letter yet. Don't they know the Hive is waiting... :glare:

I assume that they didn't put it on the truck today. :huh:  It did rain here today. My PO carrier has a habit of not wanting to walk up to the door to deliver (long story, his manager had to come deliver an overnight package once after hours, it had been on his truck, but "he couldn't find it")

Girl friend, you need to go to the post office yourself instead of waiting for it to be redelivered.

Don't make me come over there...

So... called the PO and it "missed" the truck today so it is going out tomorrow.... :glare:

If we weren't so busy with stuff here, I might make a trip to the PO in the am, but I will just wait as to get to the PO I would have to get on the freeway at rush hour (that route has a rush hour from 6am-10am, so I wouldn't get it any sooner anyway :laugh: ).

Will update tomorrow.... :coolgleamA:

So... called the PO and it "missed" the truck today so it is going out tomorrow.... :glare:
If we weren't so busy with stuff here, I might make a trip to the PO in the am, but I will just wait as to get to the PO I would have to get on the freeway at rush hour (that route has a rush hour from 6am-10am, so I wouldn't get it any sooner anyway :laugh: ).
Will update tomorrow.... :coolgleamA:

You need to let the PO know that you have several hundred friends waiting with baited breath to discover the contents of this letter!

You need to let the PO know that you have several hundred friends waiting with baited breath to discover the contents of this letter!

LOL, I can see myself trying to explain that...

"See there is this thing called The Hive, and they are all waiting for the info on this letter..."

Next the men in white coats show up on my door.... :driving:

My DS saw me on here and said "why are all those homeschool moms interested in your letter?"...(that is what he calls you guys, I explained that there are some dads here  and some afterschoolers too, but it is "your homeschool mom friends" LOL)

Girl friend, you need to go to the post office yourself instead of waiting for it to be redelivered.

Don't make me come over there...

Come over Ellie, we can have a cup of coffee while we wait for my letter... :lol:  Might be a bit of a drive....

Come over Ellie, we can have a cup of coffee while we wait for my letter... :lol: Might be a bit of a drive....

Reminds me of a Frog and Toad story--Toad is sad that he never gets mail so Frog writes him a letter and gives it to a snail to deliver, then he runs to Toad's house to wait for the mail with him. They wait and wait and wait and a week later the snail finally arrives with the letter.

Great literature always has parallels in daily life.... :d

You.are.not.going.to.believe.this...... :huh:

It didn't come!!!! I have 2 confirmation numbers that I requested it be redelivered on Wed then on Thursday....NADA!

Today the postman delivered NOTHING to my box. I have lived here 18mos and never had an empty box (except Sundays and days off of course)...

I think the post man doesn't want to get out of the truck. (this is the same post man we caught throwing an empty coke can on my lawn from his truck :thumbdown: ).

I tried calling but all I got was a busy signal...(both local office and 1-800 #)

SO I am going to call 1st thing tomorrow am and either go get it or ..... :blink:

SOMEONE is going to get a polite earful tomorrow am :sneaky2: !

Reminds me of a Frog and Toad story--Toad is sad that he never gets mail so Frog writes him a letter and gives it to a snail to deliver, then he runs to Toad's house to wait for the mail with him. They wait and wait and wait and a week later the snail finally arrives with the letter.

Great literature always has parallels in daily life.... :D

My kids spent sooooo much time debating the merits of having a snail as the forest mailman.  :D

You.are.not.going.to.believe.this...... :huh:

It didn't come!!!! I have 2 confirmation numbers that I requested it be redelivered on Wed then on Thursday....NADA!

Today the postman delivered NOTHING to my box. I have lived here 18mos and never had an empty box (except Sundays and days off of course)...

I think the post man doesn't want to get out of the truck. (this is the same post man we caught throwing an empty coke can on my lawn from his truck :thumbdown: ).

I tried calling but all I got was a busy signal...(both local office and 1-800 #)

SO I am going to call 1st thing tomorrow am and either go get it or ..... :blink:

SOMEONE is going to get a polite earful tomorrow am :sneaky2: !

I'm thinking it's time to release the monkeys...

Now I'm curious. We're in CA and are about to file our PSA. I'd been a little nervous about it, but after reading info online decided it's really not that big of a deal. We've notified our current charter and next Friday will be out last day with them. The following Monday will be the first official day as our own private school. I was under the impression that I'd most likely never see or hear from anyone regarding the school. Then I saw this...

Of course it's still morning, and there's no way you'll get your mail for hours. If they even decide to bring it today. :) 

Now I'm curious. We're in CA and are about to file our PSA. I'd been a little nervous about it, but after reading info online decided it's really not that big of a deal. We've notified our current charter and next Friday will be out last day with them. The following Monday will be the first official day as our own private school. I was under the impression that I'd most likely never see or hear from anyone regarding the school. Then I saw this...

Of course it's still morning, and there's no way you'll get your mail for hours. If they even decide to bring it today. :)

You should have no problems at all. Really.

OTOH, I always recommend HSLDA membership, just in case. :-)

Wellll.... I FINALLY got someone local to answer the phone (I just called about 50 times, really, not exaggerating. They finally picked up at around 10am).

So it seems there was a "problem with the registered mail box" and no registered mail will be going out of that station till tomorrow... :huh: . (I think they lost the key :lol:.)

So till tomorrow folks....

And to PP about being nervous... I totally am not. This is the 5th year I have filed. I am 99.9% sure it is only because I have more than 6 students this year and they have to notify me that private school students can access special services from their local district. The registered part is just a CYA thing. If you want to PM me I can tell you what district I am in. The district I used to teach in never did this to a private school with 75 students, so I THINK it is just this district because they are hurting for funds. And I know CA state statues, even if it is something else, I am not easily pushed around.  :001_cool: