Menu

Our new dog escaped... UPDATE post#66 - He's home!!!!

Matryoshka

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth would someone complain about missing dog signs? How hateful can you be? :( Hoping your doggie is home soon!

If her town is like my town- the signs are clutter and garbage and make the town look bad :glare: .  Another thought is how strapped the town is for money is how fast they "enforce" the rule here or who your friends are type thing. 

OP- Make sure you send one to every vet in the area.  That is a nice way around the rule.  

If her town is like my town- the signs are clutter and garbage and make the town look bad :glare: .  Another thought is how strapped the town is for money is how fast they "enforce" the rule here or who your friends are type thing. 

Yep.  Nail on the head.  The signs are "unsightly".  I think the historical commission made this bylaw. 

OP- Make sure you send one to every vet in the area.  That is a nice way around the rule. 

Did that - I've visited all the vets in this town and next, and also found out there's a state vet organization that will email blast its membership.  But that doesn't help if he bolts - I need eyes on the ground!  Someone just called as I was typing this and said they saw him again in the same neighborhood, so let's keep hoping he's just hanging about there...

Thanks so much for the update!  Your family and dog have been in my thoughts and prayers just about every day this week. 

I'm so sorry about your fliers!  That stinks.  :mad:   I'm sure you could still keep them up in places you've received permission (pet stores, vet offices, shelters, libraries, post offices, grocery stores, etc.)  Surely you could also keep a nice big sign in your own yard.

Praying that your dog will stick around and that the trap will work--or that better yet, he will just come right home!!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I don't disagree that signs are unslightly and there should be some kind of law. When I see them local and they're obviously old (depends what it is - missing animal vs. event vs. garage sale), I'll take them down myself. We get obnoxious signage in our neighborhood all the time - I'm near a college campus, in an urban area. But a dog missing less than 2 weeks? :( I can't imagine taking the time to complain to the authorities in those circumstances.

Are you in the US? What state are you in? Do you have a local group of "Lost Dogs of..." Here's a listing of groups in the US - http://lostdogsofamerica.org/

Even if you don't have one in your state, they have some fantastic suggestions on what to do if your dog is missing. Lost Dogs of Wisconsin was one of the founding groups so it's a good place to start - http://lostdogsofwisconsin.org/lost-a-dog/what-now/

Thanks so much for the update!  Your family and dog have been in my thoughts and prayers just about every day this week. 

Thank you, and everyone else who has been thinking and praying about our Toby. :grouphug:

I'm so sorry about your fliers!  That stinks.  :mad:   I'm sure you could still keep them up in places you've received permission (pet stores, vet offices, shelters, libraries, post offices, grocery stores, etc.)  Surely you could also keep a nice big sign in your own yard.

Yes, they can be anywhere on private property.  So we've left them up in the strip mall parking lots, windows and bulletin boards of places inside, and I just hung new ones on the recently-opened ice cream stand.  Our Plan B if we need it will be to make lawn signs (like 'vote for me' election signs) and get people's permission to put them in yards.  We've also blitzed mailboxes in neighborhoods where he's been recently seen.

Praying that your dog will stick around and that the trap will work--or that better yet, he will just come right home!!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Thanks -just keep praying that he stays put and that he lets himself get caught by the trap ASAP.  He has no idea where home is (only was with us two weeks), and even if he did, he'd have to cross the highway again to get back to us...

Are you in the US? What state are you in? Do you have a local group of "Lost Dogs of..." Here's a listing of groups in the US - http://lostdogsofamerica.org/

Even if you don't have one in your state, they have some fantastic suggestions on what to do if your dog is missing. Lost Dogs of Wisconsin was one of the founding groups so it's a good place to start - http://lostdogsofwisconsin.org/lost-a-dog/what-now/

I'm in MA but apparently the go-to group is Granite State Dog Rescue out of NH.  They appear to cover NH, VT and MA.  His pic has been up there since the first day and they have been immensely helpful.  The people coming with traps are from there - Animal Control has one too, but I have yet to hear back from them...

Well, we got a trap out there this morning, so everyone send extra-powerful prayers up that he goes in there after that rotisserie chicken ASAP, before anyone complains that I shouldn't put a trap out, or something else goes in instead (we're checking it every 1-2 hrs during the day and every 3-4 hrs at night, assuming we don't get him before bedtime - wouldn't that be lovely!).  I really don't want to let out an angry fisher cat, bobcat, skunk or raccoon!

TOBY IS HOME!!!!!!  :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :party:

He wandered into the trap around 5:30.  We brought him straight to the vet, where he got a microchip, over 20 ticks removed :ack2: , and a course of antibiotics because pretty much all the ticks around here carry Lyme. :glare:   Then he came home and got a bath.  Now he's happily lying at dd's feet in front of a warm fire.

Thank you everyone for your prayers, thoughts and wishes.  They worked!!  :hurray:

TOBY IS HOME!!!!!!  :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :party:

He wandered into the trap around 5:30.  We brought him straight to the vet, where he got a microchip, over 20 ticks removed :ack2: , and a course of antibiotics because pretty much all the ticks around here carry Lyme. :glare:   Then he came home and got a bath.  Now he's happily lying at dd's feet in front of a warm fire.

Thank you everyone for your prayers, thoughts and wishes.  They worked!!  :hurray:

Oh, this made my night!  I'm so happy for your family & Toby!

Now get Toby a zap collar and wire the front and back yard.  I never worry about my dog in the front yard anymore!!

Dh spent three hours this morning attaching our fence to the house on the back side (we had it around three sides, but not the back, and he ran around it).  Dh was very hopeful once we had the trap set, so figured he should get to work to get ready to welcome him home. :)  He also fixed all the gates so they latch properly, and next is putting spring hinges on all the gates so they automatically close when people go through.  So there should be a second line of defense if Mr. Toby ever gets wanderlust again...

wonderful!!!!  i am so very glad he found his way home....

one thing we have done is to train ours to a whistle with treats.  the theory was that if she got out, the sound of the whistle will travel farther than our voices.  we have only had to use it once, but it worked!

hth,

ann

Such good news! I've been checking back often, hoping you'd post something like this.

I want to commend you on the outstanding job you did to retrieve this pup. Your dd will never forget it! I hope Toby has learned that the grass is not greener over the rainbow, and that his little ruby paws will be content at home from now on.

:hurray:   Yay!  I've been watching this thread and I'm so glad to hear your good news.

A word of caution about Toby:  IME, Once a runner, always a runner.  Ours is Shadow; I saw him hit by a car and, $1200 in vet bills later ( :eek: ,) he was ours.  That was YEARS ago.  We still have to be careful with him (and our animals live better than most people, so it's definately not a deprived home life!).  We now live out in the country (i.e., raptors, coyotes, the occasional lion, and doofuses who think our quiet country road is a highway), he's quite elderly (13-14 years old), and just last night he found a hole in the fence and DH was out with the flashlight.  Oy vey.

BTW, I really don't mean to rain on your parade.  I am so happy, especially for your DD. I hope that my experience is just that, and that Toby settles in and gives up his wanderlust.