Menu

Curriculum that has built in ....

Um_2_4

tests/quizzes?? We need a change with DS10, motivation is lacking. After long discussion, he has asked for tests and grades and to chart his progress. I have never done that before for him, but I think this would motivate him. I always just taught to mastery. I mean I was a KG teacher and gave grades, so this should be easy, right? But somehow, my mind is not wrapping around how that will fit with how we "school". So now the question is, how? (This is  for 5th/6th grade material now, but later grades would be good too. And secular only please. I do not want to purchase and edit programs.)

Spelling- got it

Vocab - Think I will switch to wordly wise again, he liked it before and it has tests. Although word roots by CTP looks interesting too..(CTP stuff always looks good)

Math - I will continue with MM and just use some extra printables as a weekly "test" and the tests when we get to them. I will grade his daily work also.

Science??? I am not sure - I can use RS4K Physics that I already have and just get their ready made quizzes (or try to make my own, but really looking to save time)

History??? Require typed summary and grade it??? Any other ideas?

Grammar?? We were just doing proofreading right now, but is there a grammar curriculum (besides Shurley) that has built in weekly quizzes or tests? I was planning to go to JAG or the Language Mechanic by CTP for 6th. Does JAG have quizzes or the like?

Writing? Just give his written final product a grade? Anything lower than X grade has to be redone??? WWE will continue and I will just grade his copywork/dictation.

Literature? Right now we just discuss. I require no written output on that...so.... just grade him on his responses???

Anyone who does grades... how do you do it?? Do you grade attitude also? Do you use points or letters?

Anyone have a fun sight with little quizzes on it about general topics???

And does anyone have a link to a printable "grade record sheet" that I could post up there and he could see and show to his dad (something he really wants)....

I guess he is like me, I always worked for being #1 in class also....*sigh*

ETA: secular please

Before you buy anything new.  There are many online test sites on the web.  For example: Quizlet  If you were to google Quizlet +"Whatever curriculum you are currently using"  you might find that some wondrful soul has already created tests onine for you to use!  Then all you have to do is assign the test and your child can study using the flashcards on Quizlet and then take the test online.  There is also an option to print it out if you need it for a portfolio.

My dd made her own study notes right into Quizlet for college and made her own practice tests that way.

JAG does have tests (3 exercises for each lesson, with the 4th being the "test" and it tells you how to give it a grade of mastery, superiority, compentency, probationary, or repeat).

How I do grades: I create "paces" for 4-6 weeks at a time, with the work listed for each week in grid form.  On the front page I list what must be included, and percentage it is worth (eg. tests 30%, daily work 30%, essays 40%.)  The percentages vary on the amount of work involved for those items in that pace.  For math, its just tests, but history and language arts I weight essays more heavily so they'll put some effort into them.  Then at the end of the pace, they turn it in, and I grade each category and assign (either by adding scores or by subjective evaluation of effort how much of that percentage they get....so if essays are worth 40% and they did B-like work on the essay(s), I'd give them 32 for that category.  I keep track of pace grades, not individual scores (because if I had to enter grades more frequently, it wouldn't get done!)  The pace also has a due date on it.  I have not started deducting for late paces, but I may have to deal with some avoidance issues.

One thing I love about IEW is that they have checklists for what is expected.   You don't have to switch to the program, but you may want to develop your own checklists for what is expected in each writing he does from WWE (depending on level, it can be as simple as first letter in sentence is capitalized, proper nouns are capitalized, punctuation mark at the end of sentence, etc.)  He can evaluate his own work via the checklist before giving it to you.  Then you can double check.  If he missed something it's really easy to pinpoint and fix.

Hake would cover grammar and writing and has tests. I have schedules for 5 and 6 I can email you, BTW.

Saxon math

Make a grade sheet with a simple spreadsheet. List subjects down the side. Put boxes for him to put in his grades.

We do tests for the same reason you discussed with your son. Mine doesn't much like them, but is honest about working harder when tests happen. He is also obviously proud of himself when he does well. You can tell it is the idea of the test he dislikes more than the actual act.

We use Easy Grammar. Ten days, ten minutes a day, then test. Eighteen tests a year, which means he can afford to bomb a couple if he has to for focus.

We do not do tests for literature, history, or writing. The tests are him having to write two page, five paragraph essays for our history/literature topics. It kills three birds with one stone. Drafts are revised and edited, then turned back in for a grade. He has to do all the final edits himself. That is the "test" part. Each subject takes about a month so he has one paper every two weeks. Sort of midterm/final like on a much lower key scale.

You could do a research paper in science this way. Or even a four smaller papers over topics you have covered.

We do study guides for a week before tests in math(AoPS), science (Apologia), and Latin (Jenney's). These subjects tend to have longer chapters so the study guide helps him reign in the material a little better. He gets the study guide and is in charge of it independently for the entire week before the test. It has really helped him zone in on the whole personal responsibility thing. Most of the study guides I just type up from the extra problems or lengthy review sections in the textbooks.