Menu

Please talk to me about VideoText

Hi,

I bought VideoText modules A-D, hoping this would be a good solution for my son who finished Teaching Textbooks 7.  I really did not feel he was retaining well after TT and wanted him to really understand. 

Are there many/any who use VideoText?  Is it a good fit going from TT 7 to Module A?  Can a child learn this even if coming from TT?  I talked to the VT people and they assured me over and over that it would be fine, might take a bit of an adjustment but....would work.

Would love thoughts. 

Kim

My niece uses this. She went from TT algebra to Videotext and while it was somewhat easy in the beginning, it has been a challenge for her.

Not necessarily a bad challenge, but it definitely made my sister see some glaring gaps in TT. I think the shinning of module A starts slow so I would think one could do that, you just might need to go slowl where some things might be expected to be review might not be...

I don't have any experience with any other Algebra programs, but my 8th grade son really likes Video Text and is learning a lot from it.  He is very mathy and I am most definitely not ... and we BOTH like it, which I think says something really good about the program!  :)  It goes really slow at the beginning and that kind of annoyed him at first.  Now that he's in Module E it's going quite a bit faster, but he's able to keep up because it helped him build such a firm foundation in the beginning.  He made it *his* goal (not mine!!!) to finish the whole thing in 1 year and I think he's going to be able to do it.  I think it's great because it not only explains how to do the math, but why it works to do it that way.  That is something I definitely was never taught in my math classes, so I really appreciate it.  Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I don't have any experience with any other Algebra programs, but my 8th grade son really likes Video Text and is learning a lot from it.  He is very mathy and I am most definitely not ... and we BOTH like it, which I think says something really good about the program!  :)  It goes really slow at the beginning and that kind of annoyed him at first.  Now that he's in Module E it's going quite a bit faster, but he's able to keep up because it helped him build such a firm foundation in the beginning.  He made it *his* goal (not mine!!!) to finish the whole thing in 1 year and I think he's going to be able to do it.  I think it's great because it not only explains how to do the math, but why it works to do it that way.  That is something I definitely was never taught in my math classes, so I really appreciate it.  Good luck!

Do you watch the videos with him? How long is each video? Tell me what a weekly math schedule looks like. How much video time, alone work time, etc.

Yes, I watch each video with him.  It usually takes about 15 min or so.  We start/stop every time the instructor asks a question and pauses so that he can answer it himself before resuming the video, which I think is a very important part of the process that some people might be tempted to skip.  Then I assign him the odd problems in the work text for that lesson, which he does on his own.  That can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on the difficulty of the lesson.   Then he checks and corrects his answers (also on his own).  If he's got a decent score and he understands the concepts, we move on to the next lesson the next day.  If he struggled with the odds, then we go over the answers to see what he was doing wrong and I assign him the evens for the next day.  (That's only happened 2-3 times all year.)  Every couple days or so there is a quiz over the past few lessons and you're supposed to do that first before going on.  He likes to take a quiz from the previous lessons and watch the next lesson and do those odd problems all on the same day.  I think with my other kids who aren't quite as mathy as him I'll probably spread it out a bit more and separate out the quizzes and the lessons.  There are also unit tests after every unit (10) and also some comprehensive exams.  Those take a bit longer and are quite extensive.  He does math everyday M-F and overall he puts in about an hour each day - some days quite a bit less and some days quite a bit more, but I would guess that's his average.  Hope that helps!