Menu

using singapore primary 2A...questions

Standard is what we use. It has more built in reviews and more topics covered (negative number, probability .etc) the 1st -3rd grade it almost identical between uS and standard version.

Manipulative wise, we have base 10 cubes, blocks..etc.. I think that is the only manipulative we used that is in SM book. You can make a lot your stuff. .

We add workbook, CWP, and IP. Extra practice is almost same as workbooks so we do not think they are needed.

Awesome...thank you! Another question, of the Home Instructors Guide, which is more parent friendly, better laid out...Standards or US?

I haven't compared the two different HIGs for the same year, but I have compare different years (eg HIG Standards 4th grade to HIG US edition 1st grade). I think the standards HIGs are more explicit, have review (mental math sheets) you can use, and are visually just a bit better.

Standards HIG is better (but note that US 1 is formatted the same way as Standards). We used US 1 and then switched to Standards 2 because I did not care for the US Level 2+ HIGs.

As far as manipulatives, we have used the base 10 blocks and place value discs more than any others. Place value discs are a nice-to-have in Level 2, but we did use them a lot more in 3 & 4.

We also use CWP and Math Sprints.

Does standards now have a HIG for year 6?

I use the US edition, mostly because a friend gave me all her textbooks. Free is good, lol. I have no complaints about the US edition or the US edition HIGs.

As for manipulatives I find base 10 blocks and cuisniare rods are my go to. Also a teaching clock, and play money (bills and coins) come in handy for the younger years (I have used both this year in 3rd grade). I also like a place value mat and those number discs but they aren't mandatory.

I like the challenging word problems and I use the book a year 'behind' as a bit of a review.

Balance, weights (both systems) and various "sticks" for measurement...ruler, yard, meter, which are not as easy to come by as you might think. Bought my meter stick at Learning Resources when they offered free shipping with no minimum.

We use all of the basic supplements (HIG, IP, CWP, EP) and also the Fan-Math processing skills one. I've bought speed drills and another Fan-math one in the past, but didn't buy them again for 2.

Does standards now have a HIG for year 6?

I use the US edition, mostly because a friend gave me all her textbooks. Free is good, lol. I have no complaints about the US edition or the US edition HIGs.

As for manipulatives I find base 10 blocks and cuisniare rods are my go to. Also a teaching clock, and play money (bills and coins) come in handy for the younger years (I have used both this year in 3rd grade). I also like a place value mat and those number discs but they aren't mandatory.

I like the challenging word problems and I use the book a year 'behind' as a bit of a review.

No - standards 6 does not have a HIG, and I don't think there are any plans to write one. We're about to start Level 5, so we have another year to decide what to do. At this point I am planning to buy the Teacher Guides for Level 6.

The HIG tells you exactly how to teach each section, using manipulatives when needed.  You definitely need some sort of base 10 block system.  At some point you'll need a simple balance scale, a clock, and money (you can buy fake or just use real money).

I personally LOVE CWP for supplementing.  I don't use the others.  I schedule a bit different than the HIG, leaving one day every other week or so to do a section from CWPs.  My 6yo likes those days best.  I do it at the same level, for the most part.

Okay..so...which base 10 blocks are good to get?  They have clearview ones?  I have bought any of those in a LONG TIME!  Would love a book on how to best use them.  I have a bucket balance scale, clock, fake money, tons of other manipulatives as I have a basic Level A set for Rightstart plus other stuff I have gathered over the years.  Thank you all for your help, I am very grateful!

Hello!  We are wrapping up 2b now.  For manipulatives, we used base ten blocks, cuisinaire rods (Singapore recommends linking cubes, but cuisinaire are very simple to use in their place and much better, IMO).  We also used a metric and US tape measure, and metric weight system.  Because of where we live, I just crossed out the problems using pounds/ounces and figure we'll go over how to convert those at some point in the future.  :-) 

I use the standards TB and WB, and HIG, plus the CWP.  I own the IP but have not used it... maybe over the summer.  We use the TB and WB pretty much daily, and I use the CWP after a semester is done.  We then go through and do about half the problems.  After we finish 2b, we'll do the other half of the problems. 

The only additional math resources I am using are XtraMath fact drill website (free), and TimezAttack multiplication drill (free or paid deluxe version). 

To learn how to use cuisinaire, as well as some base 10 exercises, look at the information and videos on www.educationunboxed.com.  This website has changed my way of teaching, much for the better!