Menu

Xtra math question

Has anyone's child ever been able to get a score of 100? DS has been at it for a few months and it has definitely made all the difference in his memorizing his math facts....but, the poor guy has been stuck wavering around a score between 94-98 for weeks now and he just can't get that 100. He is so frustrated. He really wants all those squares to be green, lol. So, anyone ever had a kid successfully do that? I am starting to think it may be impossible.

Yes, but it is much easier to get a good score if you adjust the time so that the problems come a bit more slowly.

I try all the stuff I give my kids and for me, the limiting factor is not mental, but hand eye coordination.

I'd stick with it till dc gets 100. There is a nice printed certificate at that point. Not to mention pride.

But if it is really dragging, can you take a break and come back to it?

Speaking of this, do they not move on to the next operation until they get 100%? DS is on the addition/subtraction/multiplication program, but he is still working in addition and hasn't seen subtraction or multiplication yet. He has all but a few green squares.

They have to get 100 to move onto to the next operation. (And just for information sake, if you change the time from the default of 3 seconds to 6 seconds, they have to start all over on that particular operation.) 

To answer the original question - yes, it is possible to get 100. Dd#1, dd#2, and dd#3 have all gotten at least two 'certificates' for passing (100) levels. I started the younger ones on 6 second times and they are now on 3 second times. 

My dd#2 is on 3 second subtraction. She started it in January and has done it "26 days" since then. If she does it everyday, she gets done with the level sooner. Her score is just above that of dd#3 who has done 3 second subtraction for 24 days.

Dd#3 takes between 9 and 14 days to master a level usually. The subtraction one is kicking her rear end. Dd#2, who is older but not as quick with math, takes between 22 and 30 days to 'master' a level usually. Dd#1 takes about 5 days to master a level. I've done all the levels at 3 seconds & 2 seconds. It took me 11 days to get 2 second division.  :blush: I'm not going to try 1.5 seconds. You really have to instinctively know your facts to get them in 2 or less seconds.

It can be done. Good luck!  :cheers2:

We finally ditched Xtra Math.  My DD hated it.  While DD does very well with her math facts, she does hate math anyway.  So, after seeing an ad on HSBC, I investigated and bought Uzinggo for a year.  With the discount it was $89 to purchase the math and science component for middle school, but I felt it was worth it and would interest my DD more.

What I like about this program is that it rewards the kids for learning.  For every "zing path" (a string of short videos about a specific subject like decimals, fractions, matter, cells, etc.) they finish, the kids get zing points they can use in a store to purchase virtual pets, clothes, set up rooms in different environments and so on.  There's a ton of rewards and over 1,200 tutorials for math and science. 

Although DD is currently in 5th, I felt she could handle some 6th grade material.  She does Horizon's math which is an upper level math program, but has found Uzinggo challenging.  I have her do one zing video prior to math class each day.  Right now, in her textbook, she's learning about decimals, so I have her on a decimal zing path within the Math Foundations section.  There are 5 videos she needs to progress through - one for each day of this week.  She told me today while she was doing it that Uzinggo makes her other math seem simple.  This is a good thing because now we don't get the whining when it's time to do her regular math, and I know she's getting challenged in Uzinggo, but she doesn't whine with that either because she gets rewards for doing it.  I have also caught her doing some Biology after school (we're doing Chemistry this year) because she wanted to earn more zing points to spend on the game side.

You can access the HCSB discount for Uzinggo here: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/uzinggo/?c=1  It's cheaper if you just buy either the science or math component.  I chose to purchase both because we are doing interest-led science next year and felt DD might just enjoy working through several paths for science next year.  In addition, we'll review chemistry and math through Uzinggo over the summer.

You can also access a free, 14-day trial period through Uzinggo here: https://plans.uzinggo.com/free-trial.html?webid=homepg2&__utma=30638331.607893508.1394112637.1394749223.1395320811.12&__utmb=30638331.3.10.1395320811&__utmc=30638331&__utmx=-&__utmz=30638331.1395320811.12.3.utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=%28not%20provided%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=225684760

We finally ditched Xtra Math.  My DD hated it.  

I just started it with my oldest to help with his speed. He knows his facts, all 4 operations, backwards and forwards, but I thought, "sure let's work on recall speed, why not." He hates it. I do see him getting faster, but it annoys him anyway. 

I doubt we continue it long term.

ETA: I honestly couldn't see torturing a child with xtra math who hasn't already memorized the facts at a slower speed through practice, and understood perfectly the concepts of the math. 

DS1, for whom math is his strong subject, has gotten 100 on the 3- and 6- second addition and subtraction sections. (So, 4 certificates.) Because we haven't introduced multiplication yet, I just have him practicing on the 2-second combo. It's taking him a while to get through the addition part in order to move on to subtraction in this 2-sec combo. But that's okay with me. It's a way for someone else to help me with the drilling, so I can devote my time to other things. I think his typing ability stalls him more than his knowledge of the facts. He seems to like it overall, and loves getting the certificates.

And, FWIW, I HATED Xtramath when we started & I have progressed to a mild dislike. It is helpful for my dd#2 & dd#3 to keep working on quicker recall of facts. It has helped dd#2 in her regular math because she's not trying so hard anymore to remember her facts. She was forced to have them more automatically. (Neither one is  by any means solid on their math facts, even AFTER "mastering" a level of Xtramath.) 

I have chosen to use it right now, during this stage of these particular kids' school experience, to provide practice in automaticity. (Is that even a word? Did I spell it wrong?) DD#1 didn't "need" it. I would definitely not introduce it when a kid is just learning their facts.

The six second time setting was much more attainable at the beginning. We used it as a bridge to the three second (default) time. 

Shucks. I didn't realize you could adjust the time :-( it's a bummer we would have to start over if I did that. He is SO close. Hopefully he will just get there soon then I can adjust the time to 6 seconds for the next level?

Yes, that is what I would do. He may be very close to getting it, so I wouldn't change just yet. I actually did the 3-second programs in both addition and subtraction first, before I realized there was a 6-second version! :)

I didn't know the time could be adjusted either. Is the standard, unadjusted program 3 seconds? DD did the addition then stalled in the low 90s on subtraction. I just skipped her to multiplication and we'll go back to the subtraction.

It does help her, though half of her errors are typing, not knowledge. Xtramath doesn't become too irritating because we also use written practice, RSmath games, oral quizzes and math facts songs.

Just wanted to clarify, that if you do want to switch to the 6-second program, it won't completely lose your scores for the 3-second program. You can always go back to the scores you had at the time after finishing the 6-second one. But if you switch to the 6-second, you will have to start fresh with that one--which shouldn't take too long anyway, since your kids would already have been practicing on a faster time limit.

I had my kids move on to the next operation at 85% accuracy. When they did all four I adjusted their program to whatever it is they needed the most work on.

My kids don't like xtramath, but I require them to do it anyway. It is super effective.