Menu

If I had to do the logic stage again....

I will have to do it again, lol.

I am planning for next year's fourth grade and I can't stop considering about how whatever we do (or don't do) leads right into the middle school years. I am also enjoying the end of third grade and the coming fourth grade more in part because I know how little time it will be before these sweet elementary years are over. Remind me of that in November, ok?

My 8th grader has chosen to attend public high school next year and I am having a difficult time adjusting to the idea of not using my 9th grade plans. Right now I am full of regrets about what was and was not achieved in the last four years. I am also sure that my regrets are baseless but I am still feeling them.

So, teacher's of 8th graders, if you had to go back and do these last four years again, what would you do differently, what would you do the same?  I need to give this some serious consideration so I will post when I have a clue.

I wish I never would have used History Odyssey, or I wish I would have switched sooner. We repeated ancients the following year because I felt History Odyssey had been so scattered. We are still "behind" in history in my little world. (I know some of you have no such thing as "behind" in your worlds. My world is different that way. ;) )

I'm sure there is more I would do differently, but that comes to mind frequently.

I wish I never would have used History Odyssey, or I wish I would have switched sooner. We repeated ancients the following year because I felt History Odyssey had been so scattered. We are still "behind" in history in my little world. (I know some of you have no such thing as "behind" in your worlds. My world is different that way. ;) )

I'm sure there is more I would do differently, but that comes to mind frequently.

Ahh. Not to side track, but I was going to go with History Odyssey Ancients next year. My daughter loves History, especially ancients and I don't want something scattered or disappointing. What did you use or suggest using instead. I am now at a loss. 

I would not have tried to repeat the history cycle. I would have chosen topics/periods in history to delve into more deeply or differently than the first time (and let dc choose as well). The other thing I wish I could change is the social aspect. We never found the best solution to that problem and solving it now has influenced our decisions regarding academics. In other words, I've compromised the ability to tailor academics at the upper levels in order to have the academic and social community we need. In hind sight - seek out adequate social opportunities early and if you need an academic community work hard to make your own and invite others to it. And related to that, don't underestimate the importance (growing importance) of social opportunities and community as you move through the logic stage to highschool.

Well, I really LIKED how things turned out! But, we did homeschool all the way through. Also, I'm a pretty optimistic person and don't think it helps anything to beat myself up with "woulduvĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ coulduvĂ¢â‚¬Â¦shoulduvĂ¢â‚¬Â¦" ;)

Probably part of my cheeriness about those years before 8th grade is due to having SUCH a difficult start for our first 4 years of homeschooling, as DS#2 had mild LDs and an extreme personality. We didn't really hit our stride and start ENJOYING homeschool until DSs (who are 1 grade apart) were about grades 5/6 or 6/7 -- so those middle school years were absolutely a delight compared to what went before in the early elementary years! ;)

In case you'd like more reading on a similar topic :), these were all good threads:

Hypothetical question: What to do for the 4 years before public high school?

Looking back, what do you think is most important for elementary?

Looking back (what you would do differently to prepare for high school work)

If you knew then what you know now (what would you do differently for Logic stage years)

High school parents: looking back what would be your ideal for 7th/8th grades

BEST wishes for a smooth transition that will give you peace about your years of schooling at home! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Ahh. Not to side track, but I was going to go with History Odyssey Ancients next year. My daughter loves History, especially ancients and I don't want something scattered or disappointing. What did you use or suggest using instead. I am now at a loss. 

History at Our House looks interesting. K12 history is also quite good. HO was a dead bore for mine but it sure follows WTM. 

I now have a college graduate who was homeschooled from 7th through 12th grades.  On the whole, homeschooling was a wonderful experience, and I feel grateful for having had the opportunity to spend so much time with my daughter throughout those years.

As for things I'd do differently .... Just a couple of smallish things -- I'd have done a more formal Geography program since I sometimes wince when I hear that place X is near place Z. And, I'm sorry that back in 7th grade, she didn't work on penmanship. Other than that, no regrets!

Regards,
Kareni

We used K-12s Human Odyssey and The World in Ancient Times series from Oxford University Press.

The other thing I wish I could change is the social aspect. We never found the best solution to that problem and solving it now has influenced our decisions regarding academics. In other words, I've compromised the ability to tailor academics at the upper levels in order to have the academic and social community we need. In hind sight - seek out adequate social opportunities early and if you need an academic community work hard to make your own and invite others to it. And related to that, don't underestimate the importance (growing importance) of social opportunities and community as you move through the logic stage to highschool.

Agreed. Do whatever it takes. We moved.

Also, I'm a pretty optimistic person and don't think it helps anything to beat myself up with "woulduvĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ coulduvĂ¢â‚¬Â¦shoulduvĂ¢â‚¬Â¦" ;)

I agree that beating yourself up doesn't help, but reflecting realistically on the past can radically change the future. I think that's pretty optimistic! :)

I'm all ears.  My oldest is finishing 5th grade and my dd is finishing 3rd.  I am seriously pondering how to tackle the next few years.  It seems a daunting task.  Then again, so did teaching them to read a few years ago.  

Well, mostly I am very happy with the choices we made. I took a couple chances (to me it felt like taking a chance) and they went well.

I am glad I jumped and did history a la TWM. I had a brief foray into History Odyssey, by Pandia Press, but returned to what worked for us. FTR, I think HO is a fine program, just not the right one for us. The downside of doing history more independently is that it was more work for me. That was a bummer. I am glad we took a chance and had my son take the AoPS pre-A program in 7th and now Algebra in 8th. Again, it was a whole lot more work for us, but totally worth it. My husband took over with math because he seriously clicks with the AoPS method. He took on the role of math tutor for my son and it has been great. It was a ton of work in pre-A, but has dropped off by quite a bit in Algebra. He commented recently that at this point in the year he is just checking answers and going over rough patches. My son is using the book on his own and it is going very well.

With the math I learned it is good to take on a challenge. But it is difficult to determine what the correct 'stretch' will be for a particular kid. For mine, AoPS has been the perfect challenge. For the first time he had to work really hard at math and at times that was uncomfortable for him. However, my dh could tell the difference between struggling and flailing. I don't think it would have gone very well if his dad hadn't been able to scaffold him at the beginning. And we don't regret the scaffolding. I know there are a few who characterize AoPS only for elite math students, and that almost kept me from even considering it. But dh and I had the same goal and worked well together to create a supportive environment in which ds1 could struggle and learn how to learn a different way. Now he is very confident in math and attends a math club. I never would have thought that possible.

I am glad we continued grammar through middle school. FLL 1-4 gave my son a great foundation in grammar and for a while it felt like a bit of a waste. You do sort of keep going over what feels like familiar territory. But, now I can see that it does get more challenging. I can also see how those early grammar skills would have been lost to him if we didn't keep reviewing them, lol.

Science has been a bugaboo. So many homeschoolers struggle with good science education. Those of us who teach secular science struggle to find programs that work in the home. Lots more struggle with just getting it done. For the first two years science went really well. I made a decision to do science every day. Because it was every day, like math or piano or writing, it just had to happen. I could manage that. We hit a bump in 7th grade mostly due, as a more experienced teacher explained, to the fact that we were hitting the algebra wall. The science that needed to come next for my kid needed algebra. He was taking pre-A, but I didn't feel comfortable adding in mathy science. That is one thing I would push if I were doing this again. I also think making a commitment to lots of hands on activities was a good thing. I never ended the year thinking I wish I had done less hands on. I always thought we should have done just a bit more. Even when my kid didn't love it I think he always learned more that way.

Ergh. I am seeing a trend here, and I don't like it. Whenever I had a choice to make between more work and less, I was always happier with the more difficult option. I don't mean academically difficult. I am talking about the amount of work I had to put into facilitating or creating the course itself. I also see that it can be good to take a chance and step it up academically because your kid might surprise you. And things need time to grow. What seems like not that much in 5th grade can turn into a genuine skill if you keep working at it.

I am still trying to imagine an optimal science progression for us in the middle years. I go round and round with that all the time.

I am trying to decide if I would chose to do a 4 year history cycle again or a three years of world history with an 8th grade American history year. I think 3/1 would be to tight for rabbit trails so maybe a 4 year cycle is best for us. This year, modern history, I have been able to spend a decent amount of time on the US civil war and the US civil rights movement. I never would be able to do that if I were covering all of US history in one school year. Watching Eyes On the Prize has been a great experience for ds, and one I wouldn't trade.

I am glad we started WWS1 in 6th, but maybe would have done something other than WWE4 in 5th grade. Maybe. I am considering making a 5th grade writing something or other before WWS1 in 6th. Maybe something to do with paragraphs? I am not sure. I certainly don't feel the lack in 8th so I don't know. Maybe start WWS1 in 5th but give it 2 years? That is possible.

That is all I can think of right now

Ergh. I am seeing a trend here, and I don't like it. Whenever I had a choice to make between more work and less, I was always happier with the more difficult option. I don't mean academically difficult. I am talking about the amount of work I had to put into facilitating or creating the course itself. I also see that it can be good to take a chance and step it up academically because your kid might surprise you. And things need time to grow. What seems like not that much in 5th grade can turn into a genuine skill if you keep working at it.

You are killing me. Killing me... :lol: Here too. There is no rest for the weary...

You are killing me. Killing me... :lol: Here too. There is no rest for the weary...

That is exactly how years 5-8 felt. Every year has felt like one big hump up a big hill. We always make it to the top but jeepers, it is a slog. I don't mean joyless or that my kid is in some Dickensian environment. It just felt like everything worthwhile was a slog, especially 6th and 7th grade. I never felt like I could coast.

For all of that, I think it is supposed to feel that way. If we had coasted, if I take my eyes off the ball, then we don't make progress. And there is just too much progress that needs to be made. Or can be made. Or something.

That is exactly how years 5-8 felt. Every year has felt like one big hump up a big hill. We always make it to the top but jeepers, it is a slog.

:grouphug:  You know, the first time through the very deep snow really IS a slog, making a trail; but each time through with the next student it gets easier, because you've been this way before. If you are a Lord of the Rings fan: Picture yourself as Aragorn and Boromir forcing a path through the 12-foot high snow drifts with their bare hands. That's you! You're doing it! Just a bit farther! :)

These are the things I think about. Only I'm doing it for the first time with my oldest. I feel sort of crazy confident in getting through k-4th with my littles, mainly because I've been there before. I sort of feel like my oldest is the homeschooling guinea pig, testing the waters, for good or ill. I sometimes wonder if it's fair, or if I've failed him in some way for our growing pangs. I will say one thing, I don't know what it means, but it seems at times that homeschooling is getting harder each year,at least with my oldest.

I'm plagued by the thought of him being in high school in three years. I admit it scares the living crap out me. I always felt good, but now I'm thinking all of the time about gaps in his knowledge and skills, and getting to it all.

That totally didn't help your op did it? :)

These are the things I think about. Only I'm doing it for the first time with my oldest. I feel sort of crazy confident in getting through k-4th with my littles, mainly because I've been there before. I sort of feel like my oldest is the homeschooling guinea pig, testing the waters, for good or ill. I sometimes wonder if it's fair, or if I've failed him in some way for our growing pangs. I will say one thing, I don't know what it means, but it seems at times that homeschooling is getting harder each year,at least with my oldest.

I'm plagued by the thought of him being in high school in three years. I admit it scares the living crap out me. I always felt good, but now I'm thinking all of the time about gaps in his knowledge and skills, and getting to it all.

That totally didn't help your op did it? :)

Well, I felt the same way a few years ago. It got worse before it got better, lol.

But, you know what? He is going to high school next year and I am feeling ok about it. I wish he was staying home (that is a different post) but I also understand why he is making this choice. I also feel like he has grown so much over the past 4 years in ways I could never have predicted. He really is a different person. He is delightful person, who I like very much, but he is not that 5th grader any longer.

I've got an oldest in grade 5 this year and I'm also feeling the pressure and suddenly questioning my methods and choices. I have been a very confident homeschool mom but suddenly I'm panicking that I was wrong. Somehow in the younger years it always seemed easy and like we had lots of time to get to everything. Now I'm thinking all the time about gaps in both content and skill. The thing is, I'm sure some sort of gaps would be there regardless of educational environment. But I heartily wish someone else was responsible for them.

You too? At least I'm not alone.

There are many times I feel for my oldest, the guinea pig.

I really appreciate everyone posting their "what would I do different" ideas! As I'm about to enter the logic stage with my oldest (eek!), my main concern right now is getting his writing up to snuff. That's been a slog all along, but it seems like there is more pressure now. :tongue_smilie: We're good on math and history, and I think ok on science (when it gets done officially :lol:)... I've added grammar back in, and Latin is going well. I just have to keep reminding myself that while in 4 years he'll be in high school, I've seen sooooo much growth even in writing in the last 4 years. So it is possible to get there. I just have to keep picturing Aragorn forcing the path...

Picturing Aragorn is always good. :drool5:  Is he at the end of the logic stage, wearing a kilt? Or is that at the end of high school?

The first time around I was lax in the early years, and beat my head against the wall to get the pre-teens, and later teens to get anything done. This time we are very strong on the basics in the early years, and are going to move more toward interest based as they get older. I want a strong foundation before they get to that argumentative stage. 

The first time around I was lax in the early years, and beat my head against the wall to get the pre-teens, and later teens to get anything done. This time we are very strong on the basics in the early years, and are going to move more toward interest based as they get older. I want a strong foundation before they get to that argumentative stage. 

This is great advice!

I am pretty happy with how these years have gone for us. I made the choice after 5th to relax a bit and focus on math, writing, and reading good literature during middle school.

One thing I would do differently is that I would not do a 4-year history cycle. Too much time goes by between cycles and I fear that a large amount of what we've slogged through will be forgotten. Next time it will be yearly overviews with a few interest-led areas to study in depth.

The other thing I wish I could change is the social aspect. We never found the best solution to that problem and solving it now has influenced our decisions regarding academics. In other words, I've compromised the ability to tailor academics at the upper levels in order to have the academic and social community we need. In hind sight - seek out adequate social opportunities early and if you need an academic community work hard to make your own and invite others to it. And related to that, don't underestimate the importance (growing importance) of social opportunities and community as you move through the logic stage to highschool.

Another Lynn, on 19 Mar 2014 - 7:56 PM, said:snapback.png

This was very striking to me because that is exactly what I have been trying to hash out for our family the last few months... either I can join a new academic community (CC in this case) to be around other like-minded folks, or I can try to put togehter our own group (which I've also done to varying degrees over the years, but doesn't seem to be sticking) or I can keep slogging it out on my own.  Since we've had friends move and others put their kids into school, we've lost a big social component which has been really hard and detrimental for us.  I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to give up what I thought we were working toward all these years (a Great Books approach with Veritas, amongst other things) as we need that classical community around - we're the only people in our area that ahve ever classically schooled, and the only ones any more that use our basic foundational principals and curriculum choices.  For instance, NO ONE here does Latin, beyond maybe a year or so.  I've been classically schooling for 10 years and everyone else in CC is younger and thinks it's some new amazing method.  So am I willing to give up the grammar program I like for the accoutability of Essentials?  Do I keep trying year after year to build my own like-minded community, which I would prefer?  Yikes, how did you choose?  Moving is not an option.  :)

Great thread.  I have enjoyed reading it and hopefully learned some things.  We are one year into the Logic Stage (if you count it starting in 6th grade)

1. We are almost finished this year and the one thing I really feel GREAT about, is that we stuck with Saxon math, after all.  

2.  I am thrilled that we used a grading service.  It really really really motivated us and kept us on track!! My son learned to use flashcards, and make outlines, and take notes and all that yucky stuff.  But now, he knows how to study with notes and flashcards, and take tests!  

Great thread. I have enjoyed reading it and hopefully learned some things. We are one year into the Logic Stage (if you count it starting in 6th grade)

1. We are almost finished this year and the one thing I really feel GREAT about, is that we stuck with Saxon math, after all.

2. I am thrilled that we used a grading service. It really really really motivated us and kept us on track!! My son learned to use flashcards, and make outlines, and take notes and all that yucky stuff. But now, he knows how to study with notes and flashcards, and take tests!

I've never heard of a grading service. Can you elaborate more on what this was and how it worked?

Another Lynn, on 19 Mar 2014 - 7:56 PM, said:snapback.png

Do I keep trying year after year to build my own like-minded community, which I would prefer?  Yikes, how did you choose?  Moving is not an option.   :)

ORĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ you may find that you can get a portions of the support and community you're seeking from several different options that each meet one part of your family's needĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ For the high school years, you can have like-minded community in many ways. You just have to decide what specific areas / needs you have for community and support, and be willing to look around for it and "think outside the box" of how those needs might be met -- AND give your family some unexpected great new opportunities!

- for academic rigor -- online classes (with class interaction component); dual enrollment; weekly mini-co-op with another family or two

- for sports/physical fitness -- martial arts classes; team sports; Scouts; teen orienteering / hiking / biking / airsofting / other group...

- for arts -- community youth theater; community junior strings / choir; public high school band / orchestra; etc.

- for intellectually stimulating extracurriculars -- Robotics Club; summer programs through local University; Speech & Debate; Youth & Gov't; Model UN; Junior State of America ...

- for group effort -- volunteer work; junior military cadet group; community history recreation group...

- for social -- organize monthly field trips esp. for older students; after school bowling league; 4-H; create a homeschool youth group with a Student Council that plans/executes monthly youth events; host a book club / movie night / video game marathon / other fun event with friends in public school ...

- for Christian spiritual community/support -- church youth group; Awana; Worldview Academy summer camps; etc.

Check out What extracurricular activities for the high school years. BEST of luck in finding what best supports your family and meets needs. Warmest regards, Lori D.

I've never heard of a grading service. Can you elaborate more on what this was and how it worked?

We are using Calvert's ATS service.  We receive one teacher for the whole year, who grades my son's ATS tests personally.  She includes a two page written letter including encouragement, affirmation, studying advice, and corrections.  Then, she also writes corrections and notes onto the actual physical tests, so we can look at those too.  The Calvert tests are very well done and full of essay questions, and also include 3 compositions per month, so we are getting a lot of extremely valuable feedback. (There is also some busy work involved especially in regards to the insipid geography program but nothing's perfect.) The Calvert 6th grade walks the student step by step through learning how to study and is their recommended "first year test grade" for those who did not give their children tests throughout elementary school, since it teaches study skills right into the course. I hope to also use it with my daughter.

Next year, we will actually receive slightly less oversight with Hewitt but that's a good thing because the busywork built into Geography and History added a TON of unnecessary time to my son's day and he will, Lord willing, continue to be busy with programming and swim team, and I kind of thing we didn't need this many big tests.  We had one per month (total of 9), whereas Hewitt requires 4.  So I think that'll keep us on track while also affording a little more freedom.  And hopefully less busy work, since we will be using a lit based history.

There are many options for curriculum or classes with built in grading, or other oversight.  This just happens to be what we used this year.  But I think, in general, when the kids get older and the work gets heavier and in some cases more tedious and requires more attention to detail, having the OUTSIDE motivational factor can be highly valuable for Mom, as well as kids.  

I've got an oldest in grade 5 this year and I'm also feeling the pressure and suddenly questioning my methods and choices. I have been a very confident homeschool mom but suddenly I'm panicking that I was wrong. Somehow in the younger years it always seemed easy and like we had lots of time to get to everything. Now I'm thinking all the time about gaps in both content and skill. The thing is, I'm sure some sort of gaps would be there regardless of educational environment. But I heartily wish someone else was responsible for them.

When you have to make choices in the middle school years, choose skill over content. :) Young people with skills can fix their own gaps in content, but not vice versa.

My daughter is 12 and the last two years have been painful at times. When I read TJEd I thought maybe I pushed her too much when she was younger because she struggled and I was worried. So I have loosened up and have done much less school work with them. But I do feel that the basics are important and become harder when they want to argue. So I am going to do consistent lessons with Saxon from here on out with everyone for math and language arts but stick with short lessons so they have plenty of time to play and learn what interests them and work up to independent study and mentoring as they get older with a strong transition year in 4th grade. What I need is advice for a dawdle!

When you have to make choices in the middle school years, choose skill over content. :) Young people with skills can fix their own gaps in content, but not vice versa.

Care to elaborate? What skills and how have you focused on developing them?

I also would love some elaboration!  Which skills did you prioritize, and how?

How to learn Content sometimes seems like it is a skill in itself.

Skill= spelling, writing, grammar, math and reading ability and comp. Basically the 3Rs

Content= science, history, geography,

Is it that simple though? For example, knowing how to carefully and accurately do a lab experiment consists of many skills...

Historical information may be content, but knowing how to find it may be a skill.

Art, and music may be skills. Writing is a skill, but I am not so sure that grammar is. What about foreign languages?

Is it that simple though? For example, knowing how to carefully and accurately do a lab experiment consists of many skills...

Historical information may be content, but knowing how to find it may be a skill.

Art, and music may be skills. Writing is a skill, but I am not so sure that grammar is. What about foreign languages?

I wouldn't break it down that way either. That is still about subject areas not skill versus content.

I also would love some elaboration!  Which skills did you prioritize, and how?

How to learn Content sometimes seems like it is a skill in itself.

I think learning to learn content (gather it and synthesize it and apply it) is the ultimate skill of classical education. :)

The main skills I focus on in the middle school/ pre-high school years:

Writing (focusing on organizing, comparing, etc. information)

Logic, discussion skills

Mastery of all math skills up to algebra, algebra (obviously this varies for different students or families)

Study skills: Reading a textbook, Project management (the transition to larger and larger assignments that the student must break down into steps to accomplish), Studying for and taking tests

I think the most critical thing to remember during logic stage is to be a mom first, and a homeschool teacher second. You need to be able to look past your carefully planned school year to see the kid in front of you who needs mom to recognize what a tough time he or she is having because they are exhausted from growth spurts and hormonal surges. It is tough because they won't admit to wanting mom, but there are times when they NEED mothering more than than need strict adherence to a rigorous academic program. You won't always recognize those times because sometimes they really are just being lazy snots and want to weasel out of lessons!  You have keep a sense of humor when their eyes start rolling over everything you say, or when they stink to high heaven because deoderant hasn't become part of their morning routine yet.  

It helps to have a shorter school time focused on skills -- math, reading and writing and logic, with large chunks of the day devoted to interests, to reading, to volunteer projects and physical activities, or to have outside classes with friends.  Reading aloud or listening together to audio books is a great activity at this age.  We did this through high school, but something about the middle school years made the read alouds more special.  Preteens and/or young teens are like large, gangly toddlers at this age, and for us, reading aloud seemed like a touchstone to warm and happy childhood memories.

I found outside activities, especially volunteer work, to be the best thing I did during middle school.  It gave my kids something to excel at away from mom.  They learned practical skills, got to delve in depth in those things that interested them, and they started getting a sense of what adult life might be, of why all this education matters. One of my now adult sons is working in the field he first started learning about as a volunteer at age 13.  

Some further thoughts about what those skills are and how to do them.  Math was, for us, easily covered by a good curriculum. But reading is so much more than decoding, and writing strikes fear into the hearts of so many homeschool moms.  I think the most important thing we did -- the thing my kids have appreciated and commented on as young adults -- was simply discussing everything we read, listened to or watched.  We talked about what we liked or didn't like about a book, a character or the writer. We'd comment on stories we heard on NPR while in the car, or on PBS documentaries we watched, and we'd raise questions about what we had heard or seen, or question about further information we wanted, or about aspects of a topic that were left out. Or we'd talk about biases we perceived.  These conversations taught my kids to read more critically and taught them how to organize and articulate their thoughts.  Writing an essay came somewhat easily because it felt like transcribing our discussions into a more formal format.  

I found that slow but steady work at writing was the best strategy for us.  Never daily, but 2 -3 days per week.  We still did narrations in early logic stage, then short research assignments on a topic from our reading or one of their interests.  Over a course of a month this writing would cover all the different content areas.  There was some creative writing as well.

As far as content, well, we never did any formal science until high school, and yet they were quite prepared and did well.  I produced a science major, too.  Their science came from reading a wide variety of books, from watching lots of NOVA episodes and from attending lectures and being involved in activities like Project Feeder Watch or Robotics.  We got off the 4 year history cycle and studied different periods and regions more in depth, but studied it more through read alouds, projects and documentaries, and through research topics I assigned.  Again it was not detrimental to their high school or college studies. It wasn't detrimental because they had the skills to learn and to produce the output that is necessary at higher levels.  

Good grief this got long!! I happened upon this thread and decided to post just to cheer y'all on, to help you not to dread these years as some "do or die" period, but to cherish them instead. But I got a little long winded!  Hope something here helps those of you still in the trenches...

Jenn, your post came at exactly the right time for me, especially the first paragraph. Thank you so much for taking the time to share.

My thanks as well, Jenn. You've given me courage--almost a downright boldness. It's spring, after all. Anything is possible!

Off to look at the many possible paths before us. . .

Yes, Jenn, I am so grateful that you still hang out and post here - your posts are always so helpful and timely!  My girl was having a melty hormonal puddle day yesterday, and I looked at her and I thought, "You are a big, gangly baby girl.  Your feet might stick out 5 and a half feet away, but you still need to be able to sit on the couch and snuggle."  It is so true.

ETA: she bumped her knee on the table this morning - I measured her, and sure enough, she has grown another inch in the last two months.  No wonder she is confused at times - her body parts are literally in different places when she wakes up in the morning!

I think I need to copy Jenn's post and stick it up at my desk, and put the first paragraph in bold, large print on my bathroom mirror to see first thing every morning. Great post!

And awesome on linking discussion to reading and writing. That's exactly what I where I want to get to over the next few years.