Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Susan in TN

?Financial aid packages / room & board

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already - feel free to direct me to the conversation.

Ds has been applying to colleges with the expectation that he would live on campus.  We have gotten our first financial aid offer and I am wondering if / how that offer would change if he decided to commute instead?  In all the applications and on the FAFSA we indicated that he would live on campus.

Let's say the college costs $40K per year - $30K tuition and $10K housing.  The financial aid offer covers $20K in scholarships and $20K in loans.  If the student commutes, could he still use the $20K in scholarships toward tuition and use the loans or other options for the remaining $10K of tuition?  Or would they reduce the scholarship aid? 

I'm pretty sure that the 20K in scholarships would stay. . .that's what happened with my daughter, with one exception: she loses her main scholarship if she lives with anyone other than her parents. So I would check with the college, and see if any of the awards have a residency requirement.

She's been fairly happy living off-campus with us, but for her senior year she wanted to move into an apartment with friends; she can't, because of her scholarship.

Susan, it is going to vary from school to school. You'll have to check with each institution individually. Mine were mostly departmental scholarships and the parameters were set by the faculty with an advisory board. So, I could have lived in a car or under a bridge and they wouldn't have cared. But, I did have one that was tied to ACT score (everyone with a 26 or higher got $1500.00 or something) and students who received that had to live on campus as freshman. After that it didn't matter because it was a freshman only scholarship - ie. not renewable.

I'm pretty sure that the 20K in scholarships would stay. . .that's what happened with my daughter, with one exception: she loses her main scholarship if she lives with anyone other than her parents. So I would check with the college, and see if any of the awards have a residency requirement.

She's been fairly happy living off-campus with us, but for her senior year she wanted to move into an apartment with friends; she can't, because of her scholarship.

Susan, it is going to vary from school to school. You'll have to check with each institution individually. Mine were mostly departmental scholarships and the parameters were set by the faculty with an advisory board. So, I could have lived in a car or under a bridge and they wouldn't have cared. But, I did have one that was tied to ACT score (everyone with a 26 or higher got $1500.00 or something) and students who received that had to live on campus as freshman. After that it didn't matter because it was a freshman only scholarship - ie. not renewable.

Thank you both - I will keep these in mind. We discussed ds living in a tent in the Great Smokies and commuting to Greensboro. He *is* an Eagle Scout after all. ;)