Menu

Favorite Art Program?

Favorite Art Program  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite art program(s)?

• Artistic Pursuits
    • Atelier Art
    • Art Class (See the Light)
    • Home Art Studio
    • Meet the Masters
    • How Great Thou Art
    • Creating a Masterpiece
    • Other (leave comment)

Home Art Studio. We started this program with my almost 6 year old a month ago (using the K level) and we both love it!! The instructions on the DVD are clear, well done, and my girl has loved the projects she has done so far. There is a variety of art projects, some involving painting, cutting, pasting, sculpting, drawing, all very age appropriate. 

And I am loving that it is very reasonably priced compared to some of the other art curricula out there. 

Home Art Studio. We started this program with my almost 6 year old a month ago (using the K level) and we both love it!! The instructions on the DVD are clear, well done, and my girl has loved the projects she has done so far. There is a variety of art projects, some involving painting, cutting, pasting, sculpting, drawing, all very age appropriate. 

And I am loving that it is very reasonably priced compared to some of the other art curricula out there. 

:iagree:

I know some people view HAS as too crafty, but this hasn't been our feelings on it.  There is a lot more there than it seems at first glance.  They teach color mixing, brush techniques, drawing techniques, etc, but very gently.  We've found it very age appropriate and the projects are things the kids are actually able to do and pull off a pleasing final result. 

We switched from Artistic Pursuits.  We found AP boring, boring, boring.  We were using the K-3 book one and there are a LOT of watercolor projects.  The kids would groan when I'd bring out the book.  I also didn't like that AP showed this world famous piece of art and then said, here now you do it.  The kids work didn't come close and they were always disappointed that it never looked like the sample. 

My middle kiddo is very artistic and HAS has been great for her.  She has started taking the things she learns and applying them in her own art. It's been cool to see. :)

One thing I don't like with HAS is that there is no art study. We add this in using the Come and Look With Me books and it's been a good fit. 

I tried Artistic Pursuits, Atelier, and How Great Thou Art. I have an aversion to art and didn't like any of them. I'm much happier with my oldest (the artsy one) going to weekly art classes with someone else. :D

Ed Emberly, How to draw 50 animals, and Draw Write Now books have been a hit with the less artistically inclined kiddoes.

ETA: Drawing Textbook by Bruce McIntyre was great to help my oldest learn to draw realistically. 

Thank you for this, we went ahead and bought Home Art Studio!  I showed my daughter the clips of each grade and she was so excited, can't wait to get it! 

BTW - if anyone else is interested in this, they have it at the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op right now.  We got all 6 DVD's for $89!!

I am loving this thread. I am planning on getting Mark Kistler's marshmallow program next year for my ds who will be 6 and loves to draw. I thought that would be a 'fun' drawing program for him, and then I am going to do a year-long fundamentals of art unit with him just using books an online resources.

I always thought Artistic Pursuits sounded like it gave awful to no instructions the doing of art, so that is a good confirmation. And I was one of those people who definitely thought Home Art Studio sounded way too crafty. When I look at the samples it looks like you could easily just do craft projects from pinterest. . Not that there is anything wrong with arts and crafts...we love those around here, but I can do that on my own. Good to know they sneak some 'real' art in there

Plus, we'll be doing lots of fun artsy things with history. I can't wait for that!

I thought Artistic Pursuits was terrible. It started out fun enough, but we tired of it quickly. I have heard however that some of the later books in the series get  better. I like Harmony Fine Arts, and Drawing With Children. I just use pinterest and other online sources for art activities now.

Home Art Studio makes sure art gets done around here. We have only done the K curriculum so far but the projects work well for us. I do a fair amount of supplementing of projects from pinterest or library books as the mood strikes (especially holiday related stuff) and I like the balance of both. 

Those of you who use Home Art Studio, I looked at it and it looks very good! My question is if I have 3 kids who will be working off 1 DVD do I need to buy 3 sets of the art supplies? I understand they will need their own brush but what about everything else?

I have 3 kids who do some of HAS together and you certainly do not need 3 sets. I guess it depends on what DVD level, but certain things like paint, pads of construction paper or watercolor paper or bristol board... that gets shared. Now having said that, we also modify things like choice of a color for paper -- maybe the DVD example uses a black background whereas my kids each pick a color that they think works. Otherwise we would run through the black paper faster than anything else. But I like that we do that -- it's still "cookie cutter"ish but those variations help. (FWIW, I was certainly one who balked at the "craftsy" aspect to HAS, but I do see the value in the principles being taught, and the instruction is very nice, and my kids like it -- yay!)

When I bought supplies, I did buy some from Jerry's Artarama, but also factored in how accessible something would be at a local store if I needed it (and at what price). And then of course we had a number of art supplies already. 

HTH!

Those of you who use Home Art Studio, I looked at it and it looks very good! My question is if I have 3 kids who will be working off 1 DVD do I need to buy 3 sets of the art supplies? I understand they will need their own brush but what about everything else?

I gathered supplies as I found them on sale, and it was much cheaper that way.  I, essentially, bought one list of supplies.  I didn't buy three full sets.  We didn't finish one DVD from start to finish, we jumped around between the K & 1 dvd's.  I haven't run out of anything though.  Most of it, like construction paper, paint, watercolors, oil pastels, etc can be shared. 

We enjoyed Artistic Pursuits, but you can't do that every year. It gets boring; we needed a change of pace. I love the chalk lessons on Hodgepodge's blog. They are fun!
Now I'm checking out Home Art Studio since it received so many votes. :)

. We have really enjoyed hodgepodge. Simple and fun. My boys don't like cutting, pasting, or coloring. But rubbing chalk on paper and spreading it with your hand...that is doable. :)

Thank you for this thread!  I had not heard about Home Art Studio, but it looks very nice.  I was curious what others have done that have used this program.  Did you start at the K level with older children?  My DD is 7 1/2 and is very good at art and my DS just turned 5 and is more interested in art recently.  I thought of starting each of them at their grade level, but I'm just wondering if there are techniques taught at the lower levels that my daughter should do first. 

Thank you for this thread!  I had not heard about Home Art Studio, but it looks very nice.  I was curious what others have done that have used this program.  Did you start at the K level with older children?  My DD is 7 1/2 and is very good at art and my DS just turned 5 and is more interested in art recently.  I thought of starting each of them at their grade level, but I'm just wondering if there are techniques taught at the lower levels that my daughter should do first. 

Our little art class uses Home Art Studio, and has participants from 2-10. They all do the project according to their ability or interest and we carry on. We started with the K dvd and are now about half way through grade 1, I think. Make life easy for yourself and keep them together!

Our little art class uses Home Art Studio, and has participants from 2-10. They all do the project according to their ability or interest and we carry on. We started with the K dvd and are now about half way through grade 1, I think. Make life easy for yourself and keep them together!

Thanks!  It would make it a lot easier and less stressful to just have them together. 

BTW...the Homeschool Co-Op still has this on sale!  Thanks to the PP who mentioned it!

Thanks!  It would make it a lot easier and less stressful to just have them together. 

BTW...the Homeschool Co-Op still has this on sale!  Thanks to the PP who mentioned it!

Thank you for letting me know! I just got it at the Homeschool Co-op...and just discovered the HS Co-op!  So, really, double thanks. :hurray:  I'm looking forward to using this for my son's K year this fall.

I looked at clips for each grade and from what I could tell, she builds upon the concepts taught in the previous videos.  So even though my dd is 10, we got all of them and are starting with K.