Menu

Math Kangaroo

JohannaM

My son is, too! This is his first time participating. He's never been nervous about performing well in a competition, but he is for this one. I wonder if it is developmental? I've been assuring him that Math Kangaroo is just for fun and to just do his best, etc.

How are your kids preparing? We've just done the practice problems for his level and the next level up and practiced with the answer sheet.

Dd really enjoyed it and is excited to see the answers. She feels like she did well. It was a long drive for us and they started later than planned so it was a longer trip than we anticipated but it was worth it because she came home and enthusiastically shared her solutions and strategies with dh and I.

Mine both enjoyed it and thought they did well. They are happy with the frisbee, but our host school was not; they announced that it would not have been their choice, and that no one was to play with them there.

We are currently on Western time, so they were able to take their test booklets home. My daughter carefully circled her answers on her booklet so we were able to go through them, and she missed 2. My son, despite my having suggested they do that and reminded them to work things out on paper (when appropriate) rather than trying to do it all in their head, wrote nothing down - when I asked him about it, he got a big grin and said, "Yeah! That way I can take the test 2 times!"  :lol:

Our host school was a a church/private school where apparently they do most of their work in Polish? It was interesting. Anyway, they had the parents wait outside the building in a courtyard so the frisbees were a hit since the kids were actually outside. Dd brought her book home as well and we think she missed 2. She figured that our herself when she reviewed the test on the way home. She didn't write down answers but remembered them. She also didn't really use her scratch paper because she said the actual math required was easy and didn't require writing anything down. I'm curious about the demographics at other locations. I live in a big city and this was the only location. There were probably around 60 or 70 students pretty evenly mixed between girls and boys. More students in the younger grades and less in the high school age group. Other than one or 2 kids from the host school who appeared to be Polish my daughter appeared to be the only student who wasn't of asian or possibly indian descent. This made for an interesting few minutes when the host teachers who had thick Polish or Russian (not sure which) accents attempted to start calling the students names for a roll call. One of the parents actually raised his hand after the first few names and suggested we just line the kids up by level and let them check their own name off the list. Apparently this location hosted last year but they still seemed a little disorganized and started over an hour late.

Our site (largest in our state with 135 kids) was also pretty even boy/girl, and had much smaller numbers in the higher grades. The interesting thing was that grades 2 and 4 had a huge showing - 2 full rooms each, while 1,3, and 5 had 1 each, and then one half-full room for 6-12 combined. My best guess is that the coordinators teach grades 2 and 4 and hyped it up to their students? I'd say participants were about 90% Indian, with the rest about half Asian and half Caucasian. I think that may be similar to the demographics of that school, though, and I think most of the participants are students there.

Yeah, I'd say that it was mostly South Asian, a few East Asians, a sibling pair whose dad talked to them in some sort of Slavic language, and DD. I didn't recognize any of the other kids but DD took it at a test center about an hour from our home (all the closer locations were full) so it's possible some of them were HSers.

Last year the participants weren't quite so heavily skewed South Asian. Everything in the Bay Area academic-related always has a lot of South Asians participating but the demographics of MK this year did seem even more skewed than typical.

I was just a bit surprised because I live in a very large and very diverse city. Unless we are attending a specific cultural event (i.e. Greek festival, Chinese New Year festivities, etc) I hardly every notice a what would be considered a majority of any particular demographic. Even at those types of events the crowd is diverse. This was just unusual. It seemed like parents grouped up with 1 or 2 other parents they knew but it didn't seem like the majority of people knew each other. I wonder if like MASHomeschooler said that it was a promotion issue. Maybe there was some sort of community outreach/promotion to get the word out only in a particular area of our city.

Also, I commented to DH when he was not enjoying trying to figure out the answers after we got home that there was a big cultural difference. Most of the parents after the competition eagerly sat down with their groups and tackled the problems. I didn't get the impression there was any pressure on the kids to perform (they were all playing frisbee at this time) but that the parents (mostly dads) were excited about trying to figure it out.

DH is very bright and has lots of talents but is not that enthusiastic about math. I suspect had he been raised in a home that enjoyed math he would have excelled at these types of competitions. I'm pretty sure I would have if I knew they existed.

We are new to the whole "gifted" scene and we have only homeschooled so I am not familiar with the usual demographics of the crowd. Our location was either Asian or Indian.  We were the only Caucasians in a 70+ group of students. Is this usually the case at most academic competitions? There were only two test locations in our whole state (we're in the midwest) so I expected a little more diverse crowd. 

We are new to the whole "gifted" scene and we have only homeschooled so I am not familiar with the usual demographics of the crowd. Our location was either Asian or Indian.  We were the only Caucasians in a 70+ group of students. Is this usually the case at most academic competitions? There were only two test locations in our whole state (we're in the midwest) so I expected a little more diverse crowd. 

This is the first time we've every experienced this. We haven't really done any gifted events. We've done trimathlon, several spelling bees and the geography bee. We did not experience the same thing at the other events. When we took the explore test it was a smaller group of 3rd and 4th graders but it was much more diverse. Maybe it is just this particular competition. 

I didn't mention it before but dd didn't notice the lack of diversity which I find amusing. She has medium brown skin & curlie hair because my husband has dark skin & I am Italian so it's not like she really stood out like I did but I found it amusing she didn't notice since it was so obvious. 

I think that one difference may be that MK seems to be largely either schools or private tutors, doing it for their kids first, and then the community as a whole. The regional coordinator here runs a tutoring program, and I got the impression that almost all the kids there were her students.

Duke TIPS info, OTOH, comes home from school with kids with high test scores. DD tested through a homeschool administration in 1st and got CTY information along with her test scores, and several of DD's PS friends got a lot of pressure at school to take the EXPLORE this year because of high test scores. DD's former school advertised the % of their kids who took the TIPS tests in 7th grade.

Regardless, DD enjoys being able to do it in the group, and I kind of like chatting with other parents who have kids who like math competitions. I had a nice talk with a woman about math instruction in India vs in the USA and was telling her about Singapore Math and AOPS.

Also, I commented to DH when he was not enjoying trying to figure out the answers after we got home that there was a big cultural difference. Most of the parents after the competition eagerly sat down with their groups and tackled the problems. I didn't get the impression there was any pressure on the kids to perform (they were all playing frisbee at this time) but that the parents (mostly dads) were excited about trying to figure it out.

My DH was having fun trying to figure out the answers too!  Our group was mostly Caucasian, but that reflects the demographics of the smaller Midwestern town we live in. 

I was relieved to see the blue shirts,  Last year's pictures showed showed bright yellow!

Johanna

Regardless, DD enjoys being able to do it in the group, and I kind of like chatting with other parents who have kids who like math competitions. I had a nice talk with a woman about math instruction in India vs in the USA and was telling her about Singapore Math and AOPS.

I wish I had more of an opportunity to talk to some of the parents. There were some good conversations going on but I had a wiggly fussy baby with me and couldn't really join in. The one lady I talked to for a few minutes had a 4th grader at a magnet school. When she found out I homeschool she asked what testing we've done. I told her we just did explore and she hadn't heard of it. Then I mentioned Duke TIP and she said the school sent her a brochure but she didn't read it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am late to this conversation, as usual.  I too was glad to see the light blue t shirts, instead of yellow.  I miss the little stuffed kangaroos from a few years back.  

Unfortunately, the students who registered at my site were way younger than my own daughters, so it wasn't very fun for them.  I'm thinking about hosting a closed/private site for older students only, or just stopping altogether if my kids are just outgrowing it.  

We are in the upper mid-west and one the sponsoring locations in our area is also a Polish church school. We have never done MK but some or all(?) years the prize for the the seniors with the highest scores and longest participation has been a trip to a Polish math camp. The national site is vague... only saying "college grants and mathematical summer camps in USA and outside USA." but this could explain the ethnic bias among participants.