Menu

help with spelling plan?

kemilie

Hi!  I'm looking for some guidance/direction on spelling programs to look at.  My experience up until now has been with All About Spelling.  My 2nd grader is 1/2 way through Level 4.  We finished Level 3 in 1st grade and moved to the Phonics Zoo A in the fall - he didn't love the way the program was structured, and I didn't do well with the looser scripting of the lessons.  I was also a stickler for repeating the list (like the book said to!) when he missed any words on the list, and that may have soured him on the program.  :/  So we went back to AAS.  It works, but he's a natural speller and AAS seems to move a bit slower - we cruise through it without any problems.  I feel like I'm putting in time that maybe don't need do.

My twins are a year and a half younger and we're just finishing AAS 1.  One of them is a natural speller and the other makes me want to pull my hair out.  When we don't get back to the lessons for a few days she forgets all the rules and her phonics.

I love the idea of phonics and knowing all the rules behind how our language works.  I'm a strong fan of spelling programs.  I just need to clear up some time in my schedule for other subjects that I do one on one with them, and I would love to find something self directed that I can leave them to do, without as much interaction, that will still teach the rules to help them make sense of English.  They are all excellent readers.

I've heard maybe Calvert online, but I can't get much of a feel for the program/find an in depth review of it.  Also see some posts on the forum about Rod and Staff, wondering if someone who uses it can tell me if there is a large amount of teacher time involved in it?  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

You are very busy with a lot of kids!  And, I am impressed with the spelling abiltiy of your oldest. My 8 year old just finished AAS 2!

I tried Phonetics Zoo also as an attempt to free up some of my time with a less teacher intensive program.  It didn't work for my child who needed a lot of help with spelling (he was 9 at the time) and my natural speller didn't like working alone.  (She was just too young)

I decided to quit spelling with my natural speller. (I borrowed Spelling Power from a friend and tested her. She tested at the 8th grade level at 8 years old.  I felt I could safely quit for a few years.)

I invested the time with my poor speller.  I think it does pay off.

So, my advice. Quit spelling with your natural spellers. You have a lot on your plate and there are better ways to spend your time. 

Probably a sign of my crazy life that I hadn't even considered the "just quit" road.  :)  Thank you for the advice.  It's not a bad idea.... I guess my hesitation is that I like that the boys LIKE spelling, and think the rules are fascinating.  I just don't like the time involved right now, and as you say, there are better ways to use my time.

Have you ever looked at Apples and Pears by sound foundations? Very open and go. ALso, the way it's designed, students who "get it quick" can also move through the program quickly. But, there is built in review for students who need more work. There are samples if you visit their website...

I tried PZ with my mature 2nd grade last year and it was a total fail - he didn't seem to be learning anything and it was hard to have him do it. I tried it again this year because spelling wasn't getting done. He loves it, and challenges himself to do extra lessons. I see it carrying over into his work, too. I think maturity is an issue with this curriculum. I'm going to let my daughter go for it after she's 8.5 yo. 

Emily

MCP has spelling Workbooks that are written directly to the student.  Maybe that would be easier.  My dd is 9 though and I have her doing 2/ 3 AAS levels per year.  Last year (3rd) we did 1 and 2.  In 4th we are doing 3 and 4 next year 5 & 6  and then 7.  I plan on re using them with my youngest and any others that arrive.  I don't think you should worry so much.  I really like how it teaches "the rules" and I have noticed that as she gets older she remembers them and applies them more often.  We do a lesson per day ( 2 per week) and the days in between we to the dictation sentences.    I have tried other programs and she would whiz through them only to forget the rules a few weeks later.  She is a reader so her spelling was pretty bad for words that "break the rules" she is getting much better.  

What about Rod & Staff Spelling?

For a natural speller, I would totally suggest this! It would take so much less time from you (the mom) than AAS. My kids really enjoy it and also practice their spelling words at Spelling City for reinforcement.  

Thanks for all the ideas!  Maybe in a year or two I'll give Phonics Zoo another try with my oldest.  In the mean time I'll check out Rod & Staff/Apples and Pears/MCP and perhaps even try to "chill"/give him a break.  :)  I think I'll keep plodding along with AAS with the not so natural speller as long as we can continue to like each other while we do it. :)