Menu

If you Work and Homeschool...

I am writing a blog series in a few weeks on working while homeschooling. I've started working again myself this year and I believe the trend is only going to grow. I was in a homeschool "focus" group 2 weeks ago adn 5/6 of us worked- from p.t. to very f.t.

I'd love your perspective: what makes it work, what are your greatest challenges, how do you manage it all, what is your schedule like, anything else you'dl ike to share.

Don't tell the kids weekends are off for most people :)
Check work on the train commute
Pick at least some independent work to be done when you are not around
Try to focus on the positive of working, such as the ability to plan and pay for trips and experiences at the drop of a hat versus dwelling on the fact that you could do this much better if it was your full-time job.

I am writing a blog series in a few weeks on working while homeschooling. I've started working again myself this year and I believe the trend is only going to grow. I was in a homeschool "focus" group 2 weeks ago adn 5/6 of us worked- from p.t. to very f.t.

I'd love your perspective: what makes it work, what are your greatest challenges, how do you manage it all, what is your schedule like, anything else you'dl ike to share.

What makes it work:  The only reason it works for me is because I work from home, selling things on ebay. And dd is flexible enough to take along on day long thrifting trips for new inventory.

What are your greatest challenges:  Time. And Housework. As a single mom, I'm already crunched on time, and then adding in my ebay business just takes up more time yet. I've come to accept that my house will most likely always be a wreck - but as long as the main areas are semi-clean I'm okay with that.

How do you manage it all:  Just keep swimming. I manage because I have to. I don't have anything else to fall back on, and the alternative is to put her in public school & try a regular job. I try to wake up before dd & get something done, even if it's just photoing a bunch of stuff to list when I have the chance. While dd does school, I am often working on laundry or dishes or cleaning, but within earshot of her to hear her working / reading / whatever. For homeschooling, I gave up on creating my own program, and went with Sonlight because it was easier to tweak than to start from scratch. Open & Go is a must. We often do read-alouds while waiting for buses to go mail stuff, thrift, or run errands.

What is your schedule like:  We have a very loose schedule depending on what day of the week it is. Mondays & Thursdays are "thrifting days", as those are the sale days that fit us best at the local thrift shop. Tuesdays through Saturdays {and any Mondays & Thursdays we don't thrift}, dd does school. I normally wake around 8am, dd sleeps in until anywhere from 9am to noon. While she is still sleeping, I try to get stuff out of the way - email checked, new inventory listed, packages made ready to ship, etc. When she wakes, we eat brunch, then start school. While she schools, I work on housework or taking ebay photos. I am within earshot of her, so if she has a question it's not a problem to just yell for me. After dd is done with school, she normally goes out to play & I head back to the PC for round 2 ebay - check for any more sales, email, etc. Then I go with whatever I think needs done the most - dishes, laundry, cleaning, ebay, etc. Sundays we normally use for grocery shopping / errands {because of the way I shop using coupons & a store policy on out of date items, it often takes us 4-5 hours to shop, plus time to get there & back}.

I work and homeschool.

What makes it work: Working from home 100% on a reduced (70% ) schedule,  a lot of autonomy over my schedule, and 20 - 25 hours of childcare most afternoons (8 free from MIL, the rest paid) and supplementing with some outside classes for home schoolers. Also, "letting go of perfect"and being flexible about when/where things get done. Not being responsible for cooking 90% of the time in my household. Having a neighborhood situation in which I feel fine with my kids being outdoors playing on those occasions I need another 1/2 to hour to finish projects. Covering content in flexible blocks, planning "school breaks" around the occasional peaks in work demands (usually predictable), and not setting beginning and ending of the school year in a fixed way - we go longer or shorter depending on what has come up in the year (though reading and math are pretty much year-round). Planning out the schedule of who's where when every week, knowing that something's bound to change while also somehow being fiercely protective of the kid's rhythms -- there are things that always happen on Monday, for instance - some of this is created by outside classes, but some of this are our family's rhythms even if I have to get up early to do it or we change the time we start it, but not whether we do it. A supportive husband who also occasionally has flexibility.

Challenges: Some days work demands and school demands vie for the same space. Saturdays are the "spill over day" (while we officially school 5 days a week, I reserve Saturdays as intentional catch up). I usually stay up late to either plan school or finish off emails, though I've made some choices about getting seven hours at night 75% of the time no matter what. Not always having the time I want to "marinate" in the learning with my kids.

Managing it all: With prayer and patience...with a deep faith that this is what I should be doing.  Also see above - I don't do the cooking, I don't commute to work (though I occasionally have to travel - those are the planned "days off of school." Trying to be up an hour earlier than everyone else. Paying for childcare and paying for curriculum and materials that I probably could create if I had more time. Letting a super-organized/clean house go. Taking a weekly yoga class (1 block down the street).

Schedule: I shoot for 2.5 hours in the morning; 1/2 hour individually focused skills session in the late afternoon (usually just one kid, whomever needs it most in the subject area(s) needed most + 1 hour in the early evening in addition to outside classes/tutoring (which vary from day to day). Usually up at 7:30 - check email, urgent communications until 8:30; school starts around 9:30 - go until 12/12:30 with a short break or two (for a 6 and 8 year old); work from 12:30/12:45 - 5:30 (kids get play time, outside classes, down time with sitter managing this time depending on the day - I try to flex schedule 1x or 2x a month to join in, but usually join just part with sitter finishing up). Hubby/other does dinner. 7 - 8 or 8:30, about 3 evenings a week, do any additional work needed with kids and/or violin practice. 1 or 2 evenings a week, do any additional work for work.  Plan next week's homeschool priorities one of the weekend evenings. About once a month scope out the next 4 - 6 weeks in terms of schedules, materials needed, short-term goals for kid's schooling.  About once every 5 - 6 weeks, have a liberal/light couple of home school days to reset the house, clear mental space, etc. Lots of times it doesn't quite look like this, but we get close most weeks.

I work from home 40 hrs. a week and homeschool 4 children ages 5, 7, 10, 11.  I find homeschooling is a lot less stressful for us than public school.  We don't get everything done perfectly as I plan or how I would like, but I have learned to let it go.  I work from 6:30-3:00pm.  The kids work independently throughout the day on what they can.  If we need to do something together, that gets done in the evenings.  I have recently changed from all workbook type curriculum to online and it is much easier for all of us.  We do a lot of field trips on the weekends for history and my husband does a ton of hands on science with them.  My biggest challenge is the constant question in my head "Is it enough".    

I've always worked and homeschooled, sometimes more, sometimes less.

What makes it work?  I put myself through college and worked in a professional position through graduate school.  DH always tells people that this works because I don't know any better.  Because of DH's disability, I coordinate the errands, chores, and outside work.  Having teens has made my load much easier, but they have deadlines too.

Challenges?  Having work deadlines and coordinating family needs at the same time. The snow has actually made it easier this year because outside activities have been cancelled.  Because I do primarily contract work, constantly pursuing and finding new work is tiring at times.  I have an interview Friday to expand a small contract.

Managing it all?  It gets crazy.  Thankfully my family is pretty tolerant as long as they get meals and clean clothes.  I'm in the end game of homeschooling, and am thinking about what it will be like to just work and run the household.  Hard to imagine!  Handling the pre-college stuff has been more time-consuming than I expected.  

Schedule?  I used to work early in the morning and late at night with some away hours. Now with teens, I fit it into bits-and-pieces all day and am gone only one night a week.  I nearly always work on the weekends, but that should become less soon.  I'm usually off or light in the summer, which is when I deep clean the house.

I have 4 kids ages 10, 7, 4, and 1.  I have always worked at least part-time since having kids, and this is our 3rd year homeschooling.  I am an RN and currently work between 20 and 30 hours a week.  I used to work exclusively on the weekends, but my schedule recently changed and now I work every other weekend and 1 or 2 shifts during the week.  I liked my old schedule better, but oh well. 

What makes it work?  It has to work!  I don't have another option right now!  We have learned to be flexible.  I try to schedule my weekday shift on one of two days.  My mom watches the kids while I work and is comfortable doing school things with them, so it's not a "wasted" school day.  My DH has a pretty inflexible work schedule and is working on his master's degree.  That said, he goes out of his way to do what he can, particularly with housekeeping things while he's home with the kids on the weekends.  He also runs errands on his lunch hour to eliminate some of my running around. 

Challenges?  Feeling like I'm doing a lot of things, but none of them well.  I only have 2 that are homeschooled right now; one is in preschool and one is just the baby.  I almost feel like things might get easier when they are all schooled, just from an organizational perpsective.  But I might be wrong there.  (Wishful thinking?)

Managing it all?  This is a big struggle for me.  I'm not a naturally organized person.  I was not cut out to be in charge of this many children!  I've had to adapt and learn and try a lot of new things, but I'm getting learning a lot and getting better at managing everything.  I feel like I can get into a good routine and then something happens (illness, vacation, broken dishwasher) and my routine flies out of the window and I have to start over.  Using a calendar (like actually using it, not just having it on the fridge) has been a huge help; learning to lump different schedule items together when possible (all our out-of-the-house activities are on one day.  That was a big help.)  Prioritizing and sticking to those priorities. 

Schedule?  I work every other weekend, so most weekends I'm off work we have something planned as a family.  Tuesday is our out of the house day, so we do light schooling.  Monday, Wednesday, Thursday are our heavier school days.  Fridays are usually lighter.  I try to schedule a class or field trip every month.  I try to work in the evenings to impact school less and minimize babysitting needs.  I try to do all my errands on one day (usually Monday evening when DH is in class.)  We school almost year-round (take June off) because it allows more flexibility during the year.  We like to take a short trip every fall and spring to break things up a bit. 

I work 1 job M-F split shift, so I work for an hour in the morning (works out to 2 with the drive) and then gone for a total of 4 hours in the afternoon (3 working 1 driving).  In between I am home teaching.  The teens are doing a bit more Distance learning so that I know they are completing course work even when I have to stay at work in the morning for administrative stuff.  I also have a 2nd job that I work on the weekends, doing 2- 8 hour shifts, plus the drive on either side.  

How I get everything done, I don't.  You simply can't, and that is something you have to make peace with when you choose to work and homeschool.  You may not have a choice about needing a job but ultimately continuing to do so while teaching is a choice.  A couple things that I am learning along the way that do help include:

Decluttering.  The kids can't make a big mess if there simply isn't much there to mess up.  Since homeschooling takes so many hours, and work takes a lot of hours, there simply isn't enough time to spend lots on cleaning.  

Use curriculum that is less teacher intensive or hire tutors/outsource.  You can't teach a program that is heavily teacher intensive because you won't always be available, make curriculum decisions that will allow your kids to do their work even when you are not 100% available to them at the moment.

Schedule, well on my schedule my work hours get written in first, then the kids DE class hours and extracurriculars, then I write in time for me, because if I don't do that my head will explode and I that is not good, meals are usually at the same time so those are easy to slide in, lastly I arrange school time in the remaining spaces.  That means we might do 2 hours during the day and another 2 in the evening 1 day, and the next do 3 int he day and non in the evening, or we might fit an hour in on a saturday etc.  Being flexible with that aspect of things makes it easier.  The work gets done, the credits are awarded but it is not on the typical schedule you would see if the kids went to ps.

I spend far too much time drinking coffee, and not enough sleeping in order to fit in as much as I can in a day but it is working and the kids are still doing well.  We were fitting things in better before we started up new therapies for the boys, homeschooling spec ed students is challenging enough without doing so while working, but it really is worth it.  In 3 short years 2 of my kids graduate and move on, my work hours will change (likely working F/T M-F no weekends) but we will keep doing what we do working as a team to make it all get done to the best of our abilities.

I work a full-time, traditional, out of the house from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm job.

We hired a nanny, which I've recently found out is not that uncommon around here although they usually go by the title "private educator".  No problem with the title, it's just a mouthful to use for every day use.  

I guess a more accurate statement is that my kids are homeschooled but not that I am homeschooling.  At this point, she does all the planning and scheduling, although using the resources that I picked out (mostly, she has a lot of supplemental stuff).  The only "school" subject I do with them is Nature Study on Saturdays, and we just started that (mainly because I really miss doing some of the teaching and wanted something I could do with them that wouldn't interfere with the daily routine and structure if I couldn't get to it for some reason).

So my challenges are basically those of any full-time working mom, minus the homework and dealing with a school and with someone else to drive them around to activities.  Best of both worlds.  :D

The main challenge is really the expense.  Obviously this arrangement wouldn't work if I wasn't making enough money to pay someone to watch the kids full time.  

Guest Amanda Veronica

Will you please post again when you have your post(s) up? I would love to read more. I started working this year and put my kids in PS. I would like to bring them home, but have multiple kids and no family nearby, and I don't make enough money to pay for childcare for them. Also, my work is not interruption-friendly. The oldest (10) would probably be fine, but the younger ones might not.

Anyway, don't mean to hijack your thread--just want to hear when you blog on this!   :laugh: Thanks!

Amanda

(Edited because I had my fingers on the wrong keys and had typos in my own *name*...for crying out loud!)

I've been substitute teaching in the public school system for about 2 weeks now.  Everyday approx 8 am - 3 or 4 pm.  My kids are 16, 14, 12.

I also work on Saturdays bookkeeping in my husband's business.  On occassion I have to leave with him during the week to make deliveries.

What makes it  work:  Independent nature of my girls' curriculum and their ages.  I check their math in the afternoons which is taught online.  I correct any issues regarding their understanding of concepts.  Look over any other independent work, administer tests/quizzes, ask lots of questions so they can narrate what they've learned, edit papers, etc.

Challenges:  Feeling guilty that I'm not there like I used to be.  I text them throughout the day. 

Management:  Girls are more responsible for making dinner.  They text me any grocery items we need so that I can go by the store when I leave work.  They do their own laundry and rotate kitchen cleaning.  I do laundry for husband and myself on weekends or a load here/there during the week. 

It's real life.  They understand we are at a different place than where we were in the past.  It is everyone's responsiblility in the family to make things work and keep it going. 

Blogged about my first week in the public school here.

I found some time :)  (read: the kids are playing computer and work issues can wait a few minutes.)

Schedule.  I work mostly from home for a consulting company.  Technically about 25 hrs/wk, but expected to maintain availability by phone/email during normal work hours, so I am attached to a smartphone at all times, for good or ill.  Most weeks I need to spend one day/week out of the house, visiting sites or agencies, and either DH or grandma usually takes the kids that day.  The kids and I have a daily routine that involves periods of alternating screen, table, play and reading times throughout the day.  The routine has changed and evolved over the years, but it's been in place in some form since they were babies, so we're used to it and it works for us.  If we didn't have that, I couldn't do it.  That's really what makes it work for us.

Greatest challenges: Balancing expectations--my own, the kids', and my coworkers.  Everybody always wants everything RIGHT NOW and there's only so much to go around. 

Time management (I need to stay off WTM! :D ) and maintaining communication with all involved parties are the biggest things I need to pay attention to in order to keep everything flowing smoothly.  Smooth-ish.  And help from my dear DH, who very often stops at the store on the way home, brings dinner, does dishes, and doesn't get on my case about a messy/cluttered house.  In some ways it is getting easier as the kids age and they are able to do more for themselves, like making their own breakfast and lunch, and they are starting to do some schooly tasks more independently.  In other ways it is getting harder as their own schooly needs and extracurriculars ramp up in time commitment and difficulty.  It's a bit of a dance, but it's the way we've always done it, so for the forseeable future I just see that dance shifting and evolving and the life rhythms shift. 

Back to work...

I have worked from home since before my second child was born, meaning that I've pretty much built my whole career with a baby or toddler attached to me. Moving into official homeschooling will be more a continuation of what I've already been doing in the sense of working while caring for children.

What makes it work: My work is flexible (project-based, so I have deadlines but I control what I accept and what I turn down), my husband is flexible (his job is not, but after work or on weekends he will take care of the children if I have a deadline looming, and he understands that the housework is going to suffer), my children are flexible (they are kind enough to play by themselves or with each other so I can squeeze in some work during their waking hours).

Greatest challenges: Time management and finding time to do anything BUT work and kids. Wondering if I'm really doing anyone any favors and maybe I should just send everyone off to school (maybe boarding school, on a bad day) and have a normal schedule.

How do I manage it all: I don't. I can - just barely - manage a full day of work and children, but I'm seriously, seriously considering paying someone to come clean once in a while. I also fully intend to keep my youngest in half-day child care until he is ready for kindergarten (OR I may find a babysitter).  I definitely can't do work, children AND preschool projects. Also, late nights. The rest of my family is early to bed, early to rise, so I can get in nearly a full day's work after bedtime.

Schedule: My husband takes the first shift with the kids until he has to go to work and I get up (after 7). One or both children spend the morning at their play-based preschool (oldest is transitioning out, youngest is transitioning in), so I get in as much work as possible while alone or with youngest playing on his own. In the afternoon we go home or to the playground, we do anything educational we have planned and/or spontaneously comes up, and I monitor my emails and take in new projects. Sometimes I can get some work done in the afternoon if the little ones play or do a project together. 5-8 pm is dinner and bedtime and then I finish up, or sometimes start, whatever I have due the next day. I usually go from about 8 to midnight.

It is pretty demanding, to be honest, but I enjoy my work and the flexibility it offers to be with my family, and I feel that overall I am doing better by my children than if I put them in school or childcare full-time. I also know that this burning-the-candle-at-both-ends phase will not last forever, so I remind myself that one day I will be able to work, supervise my children's education AND have a little free time.

What makes it work: I work but our situation is a little different. I work about 20 hours a week outside the house. Dh works about 30 and stays home when I work. My hours are such that he only has to be home one morning and one afternoon during normal working hours. I like to tell people that together we make one full-time stay at home parent. We both teach, do laundry, clean, do meals, organize kids' activities, etc. I do slightly more of those things since I'm physically at home more but we function as a team. 

Greatest challenges: Making sure our marriage relationship is about more than "the sign-off". So much of our conversation boils down to something like "Make sure C. does his math. Everyone needs to practice piano. Z. didn't eat much for lunch. And there's a load in the dryer. Good-bye!" Also I think there is the psychological challenge of always feeling like I'm doing a halfway job at everything. We've both had to make sacrifices in our career. This is more true of dh than me. It's worth it but it's there is no "having it all." 

Specifically for homeschooling, the biggest challenge is figuring out how to share the teaching efficiently. I do most of the research and make the lesson plans and it's a challenge to figure out how to have him be more than just a sub. :) But it doesn't make sense to have him read about math programs if I'm going to do it also. I think next year we may try having him more take over certain subjects that can be done twice a week. Sort of going to a block schedule. 

How do you manage it all: Like anyone I guess. Dh and I are a team. We both do what needs to be done. We make choices about priorities with our time and do what we need to do. 

Schedule: I round at the hospital every morning. Ideally I'm home by about 8:00 and dh goes to work. On Mondays I go in from 1:00-8:00pm. On Wednesdays I'm in the office from 7am-12:30pm. Dh is home when I work. 

We are team truck drivers so I'm positive that there isn't anyone else doing this. My wacky schedule is drive during the time frame of 4:00 pm until 4:00 am. My daughter is awake (most times) from noon until midnight. I read Read-Alouds and spine work from History and Science on any given day. I work with her writing and spelling and math while I'm driving and she's in the passenger seat. She rides with the in-cab light on most of the time doing her work or reading her readers to me. When I need help, my husband will read the spines after I start driving. He drives the opposite 12 hour time frame.

When we are at shippers or consignees, we are almost always up together (my husband and I) and it can be any given hour of any given day. That means in reality that we are available 24/7 to the company and school gets done when it's quietest.

I've just started implementing video instruction into our school in the end of 4th grade. It's proving to be extremely beneficial and a mental break for me. She plays the videos while I listen while I'm driving.

I'll post on this thread when the series is up- also, if those of you who haven't mentioned what your work is, do you mind sharing what your job is- this has been a huge question I've gotten as people are trying to figure out how to manage thier $ while still feeling pressured to provide for thier kids educationally, etc

I work part-time, approximately 60 hours per month, as an independent contractor/writer.  Honestly, it's not that big of a deal; it kind of forces me to schedule my time a bit better than I might otherwise.  :o   Sometimes, though, the week before deadline can get a bit...tense.

I'll post on this thread when the series is up- also, if those of you who haven't mentioned what your work is, do you mind sharing what your job is- this has been a huge question I've gotten as people are trying to figure out how to manage thier $ while still feeling pressured to provide for thier kids educationally, etc

I'm a geologist and project manager for an earth sciences consulting firm.  More or less the same job I had pre-kids, but I conciously made career choices along the way that would allow me the kind of work-life flexibility I am able to enjoy now.  I realize that I am fortunate and somewhat unusual my arrangement, and that my answer is often unhelpful to people asking "how do you make money while homeschooling?"-type questions.

Senior Management Coordinator for a Healthcare Marketing Company.  Basically I'm an Executive Assistant for a company that does programs mainly for pharmaceutical companies (although one branch of my company did the Dove Real Beauty campaign).  I have very strong computer skills, especially with Powerpoint and Excel, and a background in Biology and Medical Terminology that allows me to get very decent pay for what I do.  The unfortunate thing is these positions are pretty much all Full Time, Monday through Friday, in the office positions.

I work probably less than most of the other people who have responded, minimum of 4 hours on Monday mornings and 6 hours one Saturday a month.  (I'm a medical lab technician.)  Lately I've been working a full shift on Mondays since a co-worker has been out because of knee surgery.   There's usually an opportunity each month to pick up extra hours.  What makes it work is that my husband's work schedule is 6 am to 6 pm Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and every other Thursday.  He's home on Monday when I'm gone, and if he has something he needs to do, then Superwoman (aka most wonderful mom-in-law in the world) comes and watches the munchkins.  School is done Tuesday through Saturday, and if we miss a day then I usually double up the work a little later in the week.  Sunday is always a day off.  Not really challenging, as far a schedule goes.  Most of my challenges have to do with household management and learning how to school the munchkins.  I chose to go with such a reduced schedule at work in order to homeschool; our finances are okay enough without my income.  I wanted to try to stay current in my profession - if I don't use it I know that I would loose it!

I work and homeschool, and though I'm typically open about how we manage, I am not willing to have my details incorporated into a blog post. So, I haven't been responding. But, just wanted to say that there are others of us out here.

I wanted to mention that someone else wrote a book recently about this topic. I read the book, but didn't learn anything new from it.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Work-Homeschool-Perspectives-Homeschooling-ebook/dp/B00DQJP142/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395673754&sr=8-1&keywords=work+homeschool

I work and homeschool, and though I'm typically open about how we manage, I am not willing to have my details incorporated into a blog post. So, I haven't been responding. But, just wanted to say that there are others of us out here.

I wanted to mention that someone else wrote a book recently about this topic. I read the book, but didn't learn anything new from it.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Work-Homeschool-Perspectives-Homeschooling-ebook/dp/B00DQJP142/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395673754&sr=8-1&keywords=work+homeschool

My goal for the series is to give general details about how people generally manage, unless someone has a specific point they'd like to make, biz or blog they'd like to promote- from what I can see the people who homeschool and work are about as diverse as you can get, with no magic formula for making it all work, other than what works for each person's life/homeschool.

Thanks for the book mention- I'll check it out.

I guess can't really answer the scheduling/management question.  Maybe text messages with DH, email and IM with coworkers?  For our family it generally works better to have a flexible routine rather than a hard and fast schedule. 

Homeschooling is the best choice for us at this stage because the public school can't accomodate my kids (we tried) and the private school options aren't right either.  And frankly after being at it a while, we also found it a happier lifestyle, and much easier to work and homeschool than work and deal with the school schedule and all that went along with it (getting up for the bus, stressed kids, being called to pick up the kid, late start days, make-up days, half days, inconvenient parent nights, etc.)

I own a company so while my schedule is technically flexible, in all reality I work quite a bit and always should be working more. My spouse works for me so he's also working a lot of hours. Right now we school in the mornings 6-7 days a week. It works okay because our children are young so the amount of time being spent is fairly limited. We are consciously making preparations though for a few years out when homeschooling simply will be too time consuming to maintain this schedule.

Around here there isn't really a question of whether it's worth it. More like it just has to happen. I have one child working 3-5 grades ahead depending on the subject and another with a medical condition that would be very difficult to have properly accommodated in a standard school environment. So while I wish public or private school were a viable option, they would come with a lot of unusual challenges.

It's an exhausting way to live and I honestly don't think it's going to work all that much longer.

I tried working full time as an Software Support Specialist. My hours were 8:30-5:30, and I lasted about 6 months. Now, I am working in real estate where I make my own hours. Most of my work is in the evenings and on weekends. I have to go out in the middle of the day once or twice a week. My busiest time will be during the summer because most people with kids want to move then which works perfectly for me since that is when we go to a light schedule in school.

How we make this work... A supportive husband, helpful friends and family, and independent children.

This was the Amazon freebie a week or so ago.   I found it talked mostly about what kind of job to get if you want to homeschool.  I didn't find much that was helpful to those of us who were already in a position.   There was information about the different ways to make it work - part time work, shift work, work from home, etc.  Nothing mind-blowing and more geared toward if you just needed a little extra grocery money, not really for anyone who was trying to pay the mortgage. IMO of course.

This was the Amazon freebie a week or so ago. I found it talked mostly about what kind of job to get if you want to homeschool. I didn't find much that was helpful to those of us who were already in a position. There was information about the different ways to make it work - part time work, shift work, work from home, etc. Nothing mind-blowing and more geared toward if you just needed a little extra grocery money, not really for anyone who was trying to pay the mortgage. IMO of course.

I agree--I got it as a freebie too.

And here's my other burning question- what has you so convinced that homeschooling is the best choice, given how challenging it is to get everything done?

The day my 7 year old revealed his suicide plans told me that there is no obstacle in this world hard enough to make homeschooling not possible.  B&M school is not an option for him, and if I am willing to do anything necessary to make homeschooling work because it is best for him I believe fully my other kids deserve the same.  

To answer your question about what I do, I am an educational policy analyst working about 30 hours a week (all from home) -- I write "boring" policy position papers and similar documents. My position is similar to jjar7709 in that I can't really be helpful to the "what can you do for work while homeschooling" question if the person is asking because they are looking for ideas they can implement in their family situation.  On the 'management' device front,  I really don't have anything I use super-effectively other than a good old-fashioned wall calendar where I pencil in/post-it note commitments, appointments and schedules. I don't have/make time to master something new. I do have a smart phone and can get email from various accounts on it as well as add appointments to my calendar to it -- but I don't like mixing personal/professional calendars on it, so I just use a paper-based master calendar. I do like being able to see my various emails wherever I go, and am often checking my phone for emails if I'm shuttling kids to an appointment or event as it is generally important for me to be reasonably accessible/keep abreast of developments during office hours even when I'm not yet "in the office."

I'm not sure homeschooling is "the best" option, but I think it is the most desirable one for the foreseeable future. We are African American and I'm just not happy with the educational ecology that surrounds black boys - both specific to our district and writ large. I also don't feel like life with school is necessarily easier in our case. As difficult as it can be logistically, there is a real joy and settledness in our family's rhythm and our children's education that I think would be harder to attain.

And here's my other burning question- what has you so convinced that homeschooling is the best choice, given how challenging it is to get everything done?

Initially I wanted to homeschool because I wanted to be with my children and give them the kind of education I had.  

Early on, I saw the benefits with a very high activity firstborn.  He would have been in constant trouble in the classroom.  

With a family member's health problems for over a decade now, it became a must.  When they were little, we could pack up everything and drive several hours to a specialist without missing a beat.  We've also been able to work through the practical and emotional issues together versus going different directions every day.

With teens now, it frankly is a no-brainer.  They pretty much work on their own, and I work mostly from home.  So we all work away during the day, and connect at meals and in between.  They're also old enough to be left behind to do their studies, although I only do that here and there because they still need some reminders and oversight.  Over the years I taught them to do their own assignment sheets and work independently.  The local high school is infamous for throwing out homeschool credits and making students start over in subjects, so we're going to finish the job.  They also don't have the level and quality of classes I want at this point.

What is your schedule like: I work part time on Weds and Thurs with an occasional overflow patient here and there. I school dd all day on Mon. She has a writing workshop on Tues mornings then we school the rest of the day. I leave her work she can do independently or with a little help from dad on the days I work and Friday is our "run around" day when she has lessons and I schedule appointments or my overflow patients (those who I can't fit in my regular work days) or sometimes it is a catch-up day for work we didn't quite finish. Our weekends are generally crazy full.

What makes it work: Having a supportive husband who takes over most of the house cleaning and does all the grocery shopping and a lot of the cooking. He is home with dd the days I work. It is getting easier and easier the older and more independent she is.

What are your greatest challenges: I love my job but I really love spending time with dd and often wish I could be home everyday. It is challenging to always have to plan ahead for those work days and sometimes I fell like I could do a better job schooling her if we could do it together everydayĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.I wouldn't need to use some of the materials I use more for ease of use and could cobble together her subjects more myself. I wish we had more time to follow the rabbit trails together and read together. I don't get home until late (work 12 hours) on those two days then have to help boys with homework or go over what dd learned when I am tired from the long day.

How do you manage it all: My work schedule does have some flexibility. I can't reschedule patients all the time but if something comes up or I travel, it is possible for me to reschedule patients once in a while. I manage it because I love doing it and I feel it is our best option.

I work as an education research data collector. I go into schools and administer group and individual test to children who are participating in education research studies. It is a temporary part-time job, so there are times I work all school day and times when I go for a few weeks without working at all. 

What makes it work:

• The job is flexible. I can take days off if need be.
  • My mother-in-law is available for transportation to and from activities and lessons for my kids. They can still get to Spanish class and piano lessons.
  • My husband works from home so even if my MIL isn't available, the kids aren't home alone all day long.
  • My kids are willing (mostly) to work on a flexible schedule. If I am doing a testing cycle that requires me to be gone during the main schooling hours several school days in a row, we do some school on the weekends and flip our usual daily schedule. We'll do school on Sunday afternoons. I do lessons in the afternoons and they do their independent work in the mornings. We're doing what I am calling a History Seminar this spring break, and we'll likely carry a couple teacher-intensive subjects over into the summer.
  • Checklists! I go over the daily checklist with each boy, either in the morning before I leave or the evening before (if I know I'll leave early in the morning).

What are your greatest challenges:

• My mother-in-law. She really struggles to be around the boys without turning on the television. I don't know why, but for some reason she really seems to believe that the boys must watch television when they are with her. She even tried to pull the "Grandma Rules" card. Bless her dear heart. I am incredibly grateful, and she loves my boys and is willing to help. BUT it is difficult for them sometimes to say "No, Grandma, I can't concentrate on my schoolwork with the tv on." I think she's getting it because the boys are starting explain the (natural) consequences for them, as they want to play with friends or play video games at the end of the day, and they aren't able to because they haven't finished their schoolwork.
  • Juggling everything. It's hard for me to fit it all in.
  • The flexible schedule. Routine is our friend. The kids agreed that they'd be willing to support me by doing school in the evenings and on the weekends, but they aren't always delighted when it's time. We work it out peacefully, but it's a challenge some days.

How I manage it all:

Hahahahaha!

I manage by being mentally flexible and willing to be patient. Homeschooling for us has always been about flexibility and managing our own routines, so this is just an extension of that approach.

Schedule:

It varies from day to day and week to week. I might not work for 2-3 weeks, then work every day for three weeks. I might work for an hour in the middle of the day or leave before everyone gets up and return home after the end of the school day.

Favorite "device":

Paper schedules/checklists for the boys. They can see what they are supposed to do next even if I am not there.

Why homeschooling is the best choice:

I guess because we've always homeschooled, that decision doesn't change just because I want to work. I don't *need* to work. I want to. So I deliberately looked for something that would allow me to do both. (It has nothing to do with what I see in schools, btw. What I see in schools consistently is positive.) Homeschooling is my top priority, and I am fortunate to have found something that allows me to do both.

:)

Cat

• 2 weeks later...