Menu

Which Foreign Language Next?

My dd10 is very interested in foreign languages.  She is doing Latin with Memoria Press and we want to add in another language for the 5th grade year.  She wants to learn Hebrew, Greek and Spanish by the time she finishes high school.  I'm not sure (she isn't either) of which one to start first? 

We are planning a trip to Israel in about 5 years, so that is one of her motivations for learning Hebrew.  However, she really wants to learn Spanish too because we have friends in our church that speak it fluently and it seems to be the easiest option.

Any ideas or thoughts?

My son has a list of about seven languages he wants to learn. He began with an interest in Spanish, then we added Latin. This year he really kicked up the Spanish as he has found it aligns with Latin really well. Next year he is beginning Ancient Greek. From all the research I have done, I am very glad he is tackling the Greek after the Spanish and Latin have been rolling a bit.

The Greek not only uses a different character set, but the syntax is also very different. The transition between Latin and Spanish is much smoother, the vocabulary cross over quite a bit, and the rhythm of the languages are very similar. With six principle parts, breath marks, and separate characters, I think Greek might have been too much. Now that his foundations are stronger he will be able to take on Greek and keep up merely reading and vocab work in the other two languages much easier.

I don't know if that helps. Hebrew would be wonderful! If only my son thought the same. He wants Japanese to be his next language in two years.

I would say Spanish, because it's such a boon to be able to speak it. She can pick up Hebrew with Youtube videos (I would advise screening them first for appropriateness) and when she's actually there. If she doesn't get to Hebrew, no biggie. If she doesn't get to Spanish, on the other hand, it's a much more useful language. I think any language spoken by neighboring countries should be mastered, at least at the beginning levels. So many opportunities are opened up because of speaking Spanish, from being able to serve a whole new group of clientele, understanding messages, etc. to being able to contract work that you may find at a reduced price. In short, Spanish is useful :)

Your dd is doing PL right now, yes?

I'd say wait until Latin grammar is solid before learning Greek. That is the usual order of things, and there's a reason. While Latin is a very orderly language, Greek, though is works largely the same way, is most emphatically not. After knowing Latin though, learning Greek grammar is just a matter of learning exceptions. Sort of.

Spanish, though, she could start Spanish now. Why not?

Hebrew is another ball of wax. It's completely different in just about every way. There's no reason why you can't also do Hebrew - for a while she can just play around with the script. If this is for the purposes of visiting Israel she will also want to learn the cursive script, which is another thing to play around with. And, just saying this as someone who lived in Jerusalem, it is also worthwhile to learn Arabic script. Life is easier when you know that those weird squiggles on the sign make the sound "coffee." Arabic is very close to Hebrew, so she'll be able to make a good guess at the meaning of Arabic words if she knows Hebrew and can decode the script. It's another thing she can play around with.

Honestly, I don't think there is any "magic" formula here. People who know multiple languages tell me that there is no need to wait for fluency in one language before beginning another. Unless you are, say, constantly switching back and forth between Pimsleur French I and Pimsleur Spanish I, for example, the chances of confusion are quite low.

Your dd is doing PL right now, yes?

Yes, we are finishing up PL and will be starting Latina Christiana I in about a month.  I'm planning for 5th grade, so she will be doing Latina Christiana II and then another foreign language.  I'm pretty certain now after reading some more last night that I do want her to wait until high school to do Greek.  We are still deciding between Spanish and Hebrew - though, I'm thinking about doing what a previous poster said about saving Hebrew for 2 years before the Israel trip. 

Thanks so much for all the help everyone!!  :001_smile: