Menu

Monopoly-level non-emotional games?

Wilma

We did a family Monopoly game for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I've been thinking it over.  My bigger girls (they were the active participants, along with my hubs and me) are 7 and 8.5.  So skill-wise, the game was a pretty good fit.  I mean, sure, there's more strategy that would be applied over time, but they got the jist of it and were able to hang in there. 

But that game is SO CRUSHING as you get farther along.  Like when you've just paid your sister $550 on that first light blue one, with a hotel, and then you roll a 3 and have to pay $650 on Oriental!  And you've already mortgaged everything and you only have $8 left.  Super sad.  I remember crying over my fate in that game as a kid, and evidently my girls are no different.

So.  What's out there that's not so emotionally volatile but is about equivalent skills wise?

Forbidden Island & Carcassonne (sp) are great strategy games and super fun.  Forbidden Island is co-operative so everyone has a different job & all work together to beat the game.  My boys love it.  They are currently pleading for Forbidden Desert ;).  In fact, they love almost every Gamewright game they've ever played.

ETA: One of mine loves Monopoly, the other finds it crushing.  The games I mentioned above are games we can all play together & enjoy ;).

Oh I know what you mean about being in tears as the game goes along.  My girls and I vowed to never play monopoly again with dh.  He always owns all the properties while we are homeless and out of cash.  :001_smile:

We did a family Monopoly game for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I've been thinking it over.  My bigger girls (they were the active participants, along with my hubs and me) are 7 and 8.5.  So skill-wise, the game was a pretty good fit.  I mean, sure, there's more strategy that would be applied over time, but they got the jist of it and were able to hang in there. 

But that game is SO CRUSHING as you get farther along.  Like when you've just paid your sister $550 on that first light blue one, with a hotel, and then you roll a 3 and have to pay $650 on Oriental!  And you've already mortgaged everything and you only have $8 left.  Super sad.  I remember crying over my fate in that game as a kid, and evidently my girls are no different.

So.  What's out there that's not so emotionally volatile but is about equivalent skills wise?

We actually haven't managed to play Monopoly in our house yet

Two current favorites are:

Rummikub (which my 6 year old can manage as long as he doesn't have to make sure he has 30 pts in his hand to "put down")

Tsuro

He also likes Yahtzee Jr. your kids may be able to do the regular Yahtzee game!

We've played CashFlow (from Rich Dad/Poor Dad) and find it a good alternative for Monopoly. Even if you don't win, each person is so focused on what they were able to accomplish, it seems okay. We started playing that when my youngest was 8 or 9...we helped him along.

We also modified the rules in Monopoly from time to time...

Right now my girls LOVE Dixit.  My 6 year old is even asking for the expansion pack for her birthday.  Its imaginative and fun.  

Other favs for kids are:

Kings of Tokyo

Carcassone or Carcassone kids

Settlers of catan (which is too hard for my 6 year old to play well)

Ticket to Ride (but again its difficult for my 6-almost-7 year old)

Zombie Dice - quick and fun.

We just got Seven Wonders for Christmas. It's been a fun game for the family. There's definitely strategy, but you can play without really understanding that level. My 10 and 8 year olds really enjoy it, and my 4 year understands the rules well enough to play with some assistance.

AFter reading many great recommendations on an hs forum, we got the kids Dominion for Christmas. We all love this game! It says ages 13-up but my 7 y/o loves it and has kicked our butts at it. We own tons of games and this is the first one that all five of us love. We play it almost everyday.