Menu

Ladies...Is this really perimenopause or ??

dancer67

So, I am 46. For about 7 years I have always spotted 3-5 days before getting my cycle. Which would come anywhere between days 23 to day 29. All of a sudden in January(While on vacation of course), I started spotting on Day 18, and got my cycle on Day 20. VERY early for me. I chocked it up to flying and just being on vacation.It was a weird cycle too. Lighter then normal. But still lasting about 7 days. I had my annual GYN apt in a few weeks anyways, I mentioned this to him. He did an endo biopsy and pap, both of which were negative for anything. U/S negative. He says it is most likely hormones, and I am at that age.

So, again. I start spotting on day 18 AGAIN, this time not really knowing when I actually start my cycle. Maybe day 22. It was also not as heavy as usual. (Normally, I would soak through an overnight pad on day 2, but these cycles I only have a little on the pad when waking up).

So here we are again. I just ended my cycle last Tuesday. On Saturday I start bleeding AGAIN. So it is now around day 14. Cramps like I usually have and they are wearing me out. Bleeding slightly, not a lot.

It feels as if I have been bleeding non-stop since January. But not a lot. Very strange.

Can anything else be causing me to do this besides perimenopause???

I want to stay away from anything surgical. In the past, to try to eliminate the spotting, I have tried the Mirena(Had to much trouble with it and had it removed), and the mini-pill(horrible). I cannot take a regular BC pill with Estrogen so that is out.(I have high blood pressure).

I guess I am just concerned that something else might be going on. And if so, what?

I really am at the point of telling them to just take out my uterus. (I do not want an ablation, I feel that if I am going to stop this whole mess, let's just do it and not wonder if it worked or not) And my cramps actually bother me more then the bleeding. The cramps are nothing new, I have had them all my life.

If this really is perimenopause, is there ANYTHING I can do to get through this to menopause without drugs, or surgery?

Would love to hear other people's experiences and what you did. Thank you.

My husband does not want me to do anything drastic as of this point. I have a strong history of having bad complications everytime I have "tried" something. With ablation, it is not like the Mirena or the pill where I can just stop. Once it is done, it is done. I either suffer and/or wonder everytime something seems wrong, or it doesn't work at all and end up with hysterectomy anyways. Plus, I do not believe ablation takes care of the cramps. I am not bleeding heavy at all. Just light and frequent. Just wondering if it could be anything else that is causing this.

I have had heavy bleeding for the past four years and am having D&C hysteroscopy next week to see what's going on in my uterus.

I wrote a parapraph about endo biopsy, then went back and saw that you just had one.

I believe the Mirena is progesterone-based, but the doc might consider putting you on oral medroxyprogesterone, which was very effective at reducing my bleeding.

She could also do a D&C/hysteroscopy to clear out the uterine lining and check for polyps and fibroids. It's also done in place of endometrial biopsy as it is slighly more accutate at detecting uterine cancer.

I really doubt you need any additional estrogen at this point. More likely, you are estrogen dominant and might need progesterone to help offset the estrogen dominance. I took bioidebtical oral progesterone for awhile, but it wasn't strong enough to offset the heavy bleeding in my case.

Ablation does make it a bit more difficult to detect uterine cancer later on, but as long as you are considered low risk and don't have gynecological or endocrine cancers in your family, then it can be a very effective tool to "buy time" until menopause. Hopefully though, you can try oral progesterone first before considering ablation.

Hope this helps!

sounds like perimenopause.

the biggest concern with prolonged perimenopause bleeding is anemia.

yoga has been a lifesaver for me.  made a huge difference in my symptoms.  I injured my knee, and currently can't do anything.  hot flashes have come back in a rage.  

Thats the way serious perimenopause started for me. It got better--kind of. I can't take natural hormones but I think they can help tremendously. What has helped me--Add magnesium at night as much as your body can handle. This will drastically help the cramps. It will take a few months but there will be a dramatic difference. There are some good posts about it on the hive. Diet is really important. You are probably becoming estrogen dominant. Your diet can help that. Cut out sugar and limit carbs. Lots of vegetables and good fiber. Some studies say to reduce coffee. I find this scandalous :) Exercise--especially with weights. Good luck.

I am almost 48 and having similar symptoms.  I have had short cycles with premenstrual spotting 3-5 days before for about 6 years.  Now mine are getting close together (like you said) I still have spotting, and now my heavy day is HEAVY.  I have done nothing other than eat well, exercise, and get enough rest.  My biggest perimenopause side effect that is bothersome is the hives.  I am an itchy mess. 

Thank you ladies for the responses.

I already tried Mirena IUD and the Progesterone only pill(I had severe abdominal cramping from that pill).

What about Prometrium?

It has only been 3 months since doing this and I don't want to jump to anything surgical at this point. Everytime I have jumped and became impatient, I have regretted it.

Ablation I know stops/cuts the bleeding. But my bigger problem is cramps. I am exhausted from them. I have had them all my life, and usually only have them the first day or two of my cycle. But now, with this going on, I will have them until I stop spotting and I really start to bleed, where right now I could spot for a whole week. I am in between spotting/bleeding right now.

I will try the magnesium. And look into yoga.

And if I am going to do a D+C/Hyster procedure and I need to be put out(Which I am terrified of) then I might as well have him do whatever it takes to stop this for good. Unless I have hidden polyps/fibroids which if that is the case he can remove them. If nothing is found, then while I am under either blast it all out, or take it out.

I do have Emerita Natural Progesterone, but I would have no idea when to even start it since my periods are not regular at all. No idea if they are coming or going anymore.

And I don't eat sugar, and already eat low carb.

I already take an iron pill along with a prenatal vitamin and that has kept my levels good.

Thank you ladies. This really welllllllllll.......................sucks.

I just saw my nurse practitioner last week. It sounds like hormones just like your doc said. You don't have to DO anything about it, other than making sure you always have a pad, unless it is really bothering you.

She gave me some good general guidelines to ease my mind, and know when I had to go in for help.

Whatever you want to call it, but from around the age of 35 onwards, our hormones are less stable through our cycles.

Even for those of us who used to be regular as clockwork, that will slowly start changing.

Bleeding can be spotting, or really heavy and can change from month to month. Some months we might even do all our bleeding in 1 day. She said if I go through a pad an hour for more than 24 hours, I need to go in. 

PMS moodiness and cramping also tend to slowly get worse.

Nothing to do with weight, but a lot to do with health. She said she has seen thin people who are unhealthy and overweight who are healthy. Regular exercise, eating fruits and veggies, and taking time for yourself. Healthier bodies and mindsets move through this time a little easier. 

So far, I am choosing to do nothing and just be prepared for period/spotting at anytime. I am going to see how mother nature progresses me through this. 

Side note from your name. Are you or have you been a serious ballet dancer? Just asking, as I used to be. I find one of the hard things for me with all the change is the control aspect and not knowing. With ballet, you know how to control every little muscle in your body, and as your body is your instrument, you know how to warm it up, and it's cycles etc.... I had to move past the annoyance that my body was doing something without my say so. That it is ok at this point in life to not be regulated and keeping to schedule. 

Side note from your name. Are you or have you been a serious ballet dancer? Just asking, as I used to be. I find one of the hard things for me with all the change is the control aspect and not knowing. With ballet, you know how to control every little muscle in your body, and as your body is your instrument, you know how to warm it up, and it's cycles etc.... I had to move past the annoyance that my body was doing something without my say so. That it is ok at this point in life to not be regulated and keeping to schedule. 

No, far from a serious ballet dancer. I take Tap and Hip Hop, one day a week for 3 hours. I do though, have a HUGE control issue. It is part of my anxiety. I don't like not knowing what is going on, or if this is something to worry about, how long this is going to last, am I going to need surgery, and I certainly don't want this going on for the next 5 years or longer.

No, far from a serious ballet dancer. I take Tap and Hip Hop, one day a week for 3 hours. I do though, have a HUGE control issue. It is part of my anxiety. I don't like not knowing what is going on, or if this is something to worry about, how long this is going to last, am I going to need surgery, and I certainly don't want this going on for the next 5 years or longer.

I get it. I don't like the unknown. I am coming to realize though that this is one of those areas that is going to be in chaos now. I hate that there is no clear defined road map from 35 through menopause. That it is vague and every woman is different. I want to scream "that is not good enough!" This has been one of the things I have been working on in therapy for the past 3 years. Realizing that my body is not against me, and becoming more comfortable with not knowing.

At least we both have a place with a lot of sympathetic ladies who are also going to or have gone through it.

Hugs.

Even for those of us who used to be regular as clockwork, that will slowly start changing.

Bleeding can be spotting, or really heavy and can change from month to month. Some months we might even do all our bleeding in 1 day. She said if I go through a pad an hour for more than 24 hours, I need to go in. 

PMS moodiness and cramping also tend to slowly get worse.

i was never regular - now I am.  unless I skip.  I just skipped my 2nd cycle. had all symptoms but bleeding.  last time I skipped, the next one was late. we'll see what happens this time. they did become very heavy first day, but shorter overall.

my moods were totally whackadoodle pms just before I skipped the first time, and I started relora - which is a chinese remedy, and 5-htp to stablize my moods.  big, huge difference.  good vitamins, eat well, yoga (which I currently can't do due to a knee injury (not related to yoga). it's healing - just not. fast. enough!).  now, I'm having hot flashes galore. sigh.

I downloaded an app to my phone to track everything.