Menu

Key to series......anyone an expert and can explain this to me

Hi,

My older son is struggling in pre algebra with fractions.  I had bought videotext and am just not sure about it at this point.  How does the Key to series work, should you start with fractions and work through it?  Is it a complete math program through geometry?  Confused as to the best way to use the books etc...

Thank you!

Kim

I guess some have used Key to as a primary but I have only used it to supplement.  I have found it really helpful for review, though.  If your child is struggling with fractions, you might have him go through the whole Key to Fractions series to help solidify his fractions.  Definitely start with the first book even if it seems too easy, then move forward at a faster pace until he gets to areas he needs to slow down and really study.  I love how it takes baby steps but takes those steps pretty quickly.  I am actually doing this series right now for myself since I am weak on fractions.  I really like the workbooks.  My only gripe is that the page contrast isn't that good so my poor eye sight becomes something of an issue when I get tired.

For other resources, you might also have him look at the Khan Academy videos.  Hands on Equations might also help overall....

Best wishes and good luck.

You can use them several ways...just pick which you think works best for you.  Some work through all of the fractions and then go on to all of the next set.  Or, you can do fractions book 1, decimals book 1, percents book 1, and so on.  Then when you cycle back around...before doing fractions book 2, you could have the student take the fractions book 1 test as a refresher, then do fractions book 2, decimals test for book 1, then decimals book 2, etc.  I hope that makes sense.

Btw, there are no tests for measurement, metric measurement, or geometry.

I guess some have used Key to as a primary but I have only used it to supplement. I have found it really helpful for review, though. If your child is struggling with fractions, you might have him go through the whole Key to Fractions series to help solidify his fractions. Definitely start with the first book even if it seems too easy, then move forward at a faster pace until he gets to areas he needs to slow down and really study. I love how it takes baby steps but takes those steps pretty quickly. I am actually doing this series right now for myself since I am weak on fractions. I really like the workbooks. My only gripe is that the page contrast isn't that good so my poor eye sight becomes something of an issue when I get tired.

For other resources, you might also have him look at the Khan Academy videos. Hands on Equations might also help overall....

Best wishes and good luck.

Sorry to butt in...... But could you tell us more about Hands on Equations?

Sorry to butt in...... But could you tell us more about Hands on Equations?

Hands on Equations comes in a kit.  It has three Levels.  Each level has a thin TM to help you teach how to use the system for that level, plus there is a workbook of problems.  It also comes with manipulatives and a laminated picture of a balance.  Basically it walks a student through how to visualize and understand basic Algebra.  The system is designed to help students kind of demystify the "language" of algebra and give them a concrete way to visualize it.   They recommend using this system with kids as young as 4th grade so that algebra concepts are much easier to understand before they actually hit High School level math, but it also works well to go back and help solidify how to function within and understand Algebra for an older student who does not find Algebra all that easy to do (or extremely hard to do :) )....

Edited to add that it also comes with a Workbook of Verbal problems and a DVD to either instruct the parent in how to use the system or for a student to use for self-instruction.  There may have been other things, too.  I don't have it in front of me, so I can't recall off the top of my head and we haven't used everything yet.  Loving it so far, though.

Does that help?  Let me know if you have additional questions.  :)

Hands on Equations comes in a kit.  It has three Levels.  Each level has a thin TM to help you teach how to use the system for that level, plus there is a workbook of problems.  It also comes with manipulatives and a laminated picture of a balance.  Basically it walks a student through how to visualize and understand basic Algebra.  The system is designed to help students kind of demystify the "language" of algebra and give them a concrete way to visualize it.   They recommend using this system with kids as young as 4th grade so that algebra concepts are much easier to understand before they actually hit High School level math, but it also works well to go back and help solidify how to function within and understand Algebra for an older student who does not find Algebra all that easy to do (or extremely hard to do :) )....

Edited to add that it also comes with a Workbook of Verbal problems and a DVD to either instruct the parent in how to use the system or for a student to use for self-instruction.  There may have been other things, too.  I don't have it in front of me, so I can't recall off the top of my head and we haven't used everything yet.  Loving it so far, though.

Does that help?  Let me know if you have additional questions.   :)

Yes!  This does help!  I'll check out their website tonight.....thinking of doing this with my dd, who will be finishing up Alg.1 TT, to work on over the rest of the year through summer.