Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IsabelC

Danger - Malware ahead

Hi, Mods,

When I tried to open the thread about favorite words, my browser brought up the above warning. Not sure whether there is, in fact, something dodgy in the thread, or whether my system is being overcautious, but I thought it would be safest to let you know just in case there is an issue that needs to be dealt with.

When I am at work, I can't get on because it doesn't go directly here to the forums, it takes me somewhere ELSE LAND of the unknown and asks for a password.  I thought it was because something is up at my work computer.  At home I do not have any problems getting on the forums directly.

There are a couple of separate issues going on here.

First, I have verified there is no malware on the site. Google will also report to me if they find anything too. But sometimes antivirus software reads content on pages your browsing and might flag a message on it. 

The second is our CDN/firewall. If you got a captcha code, then the firewall thinks your a spam bot. This can happen because your IP address has had spam bot behavior. It doesn't necessarily mean you have done that behavior because most internet service providers share IP addresses. 

John

But why all of a sudden? I've been posting here for several years. Surely the firewall would recognize my ISP by now? The captchas are becoming increasingly difficult to decipher, so much so that I have re-click several times until I get one that I can figure out. I've had to enter numerous codes today. Including one for this post. Anything I can do to avoid this?

Also someone suggested switching to the iPad as she wasn't having the captcha issues and sure enough no captcha gremlins. Makes no sense since the ISP is the same for both devices.

I found what was the problem. Someone in those threads was using an external smiley from a website that had malware. It's been fixed.

Shukriyya,

Your ISP usually shares IP addresses and someone on that IP address might have triggered it. Has it still been giving you problems recently?

John