Menu

Name This Fruit

ChrisB

A few years ago we went to Cancun Mexico for a vacation, and included in the buffet was this wonderful tasting fruit I'd never had before.  I thought it was going to be a mango because of the color, but it didn't taste like it.  IIRC, it had more of a peach flavor, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't a peach.  It was pre-cut and ready to each so I was unable to see the skin.  Anyone know what it was?

DS just had papaya at a wedding, and he gave me this look like "why have you been keeping this from me for so long???"

Exactly how I felt!

Looking at pictures, I'd say it most resembles a mango, but it had a taste I've never had before, so I thought it wasn't one.  It was cut in quarter inch slices, not chunks, so the fleshy part would have to be more substantial than a fruit with plenty of seeds in the middle, I would think.  I had asked someone at the time what it was and they rattled off something I didn't understand, as if it was something quite common to the area.  

I think I've had papaya before.  This fruit was something I've never had before.  It certainly could be another variety of mango or papaya.  When I chose it off of the buffet, it looked like mango to me, and then I was surprised that it didn't taste like it.

Maybe a persimmon - they are mostly grown in Asia, but Mexico does grow them as well.  They look like a yellow tomato.  The flavour of the Fuyu variety reminds me a lot of mango, but different.  They are often served in wedges with the skin removed and they have few seeds/no core to deal with.  There are many other varieties - be careful, some are very astringent - yuck!