Menu

FLL and WWE for a 2nd grader

momma2three

If I switch to either or both of these books next year (for 2nd grade), should I start with book 1, or go straight to book 2?  We did about half of FLL her kindergarten year, and I know that it's very basic, and easy to speed up... should we start at the beginning and accelerate, or is there enough review built into the second level that you can skip the first?

You could probably just jump into FLL 2. My daughter did not do FLL this year as a 1st grader and I wanted her to start it next year. (We actually did start it last week.) I have the combined, older version and I believe there are 200 lessons between FLL 1 & FLL 2. Because I am a box checker that has to do everything, (lol) I plan to go through both in the next year. She did do WWE 1 this year, so she'll move into WWE 2, but for WWE, *I* would recommended starting in 1. I don't see any reason for rushing through WWE, especially hearing how difficult it gets, and how difficult WWS is later on down the road.

FLL does have some review, so I would say you could skip to level 2. WWE, however, picks up the pace a little. I am in a similar position, trying to decide which level to start my soon-to-be 2nd grader. WWE 1 provides a lot of narration, whereas WWE 2 start up with dictation. If your child is writing and spelling pretty well, than level 2 should be ok.

I switched to FLL this year (2nd grade). I decided to skim the last part of the book because it was moving so slow, and I felt like we were getting bogged down with all the review of nouns. I didn't realize at the time I could have probably just started at 2. Now I am trying to move through at a more reasonable pace and be ready to start 3 by the fall.

A lot of people don't start WWE1 until 2nd grade. My oldest started WWE3 in 3rd grade and I quickly pulled him back down to WWE2. He's in WWE4 for 5th. I feel that's adequate since so many say that WWS1 is rigorous and can take up to two years to get through. The selections, especially in WWE4, get harder.

I don't see any reason to cut corners in WWE. Remember it's *leveled, not *graded*.

Personally I would just get the FLL 1/2 combo and then just combine lessons in FLL1 until you get to a place where you feel the need to go at a regular pace.