Menu

Do you put bananas in a bag at the grocery store? POLL ADDED!

Mom in High Heels

258 members have voted

1. 1. Do you put bananas in a bag?

• Yes, of course I do. Why wouldn't I?
    • No. That's weird.
    • Other-please explain

Okay, this is incredibly random, but I need to know!  Do you put your bananas in a plastic bag at the grocery store?  If so, why? I just put mine in the cart, but almost every other person shopper I see with bananas has them in a bag.  I don't understand.  I generally try not to put things in bags, except for lettuce, broccoli or brussel sprouts.  I get strange looks from cashiers when I just put loose fruits and veg on the belt, but whatever.

So, please, someone explain this practice to me!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do put all my fruits and vegetables in bags.  Why? Hmm, good question.  I just do. Something about it being more hygienic or won't get squished or it's just easier. I really don't know. Maybe because my mom did and I just kept doing the same. 

I put the bananas in a bag.  I buy mine at Trader Joes and the non-organic bananas are 19cents each.  So to make life easy for me, I put five bananas to a bag.  I buy about 20 each time.   

When I babysat my nephew 18 years ago, I watched Bananas in Pyjamas UK or AU version on VHS with him. Because of him, I know how to sing that song.  My kids watch the original on youtube.

I do. It just seems a bit more hygienic to me- less people handling the fruit itself. Even though I know it would only be the cashier and the bagger, I feel better about it somehow. Lol I always make sure to reuse the bag for something to make it seem at least a bit less wasteful of me. :). Dh does not bag bananas when he shops.

I don't use bags for most things, but even when I did, I'd never do it for bananas. I'm not eating the peel, and they are so neatly grouped in their bunches. Would you put a cantaloupe in a bag? A pineapple? A watermelon? 

Now that I'm feeding a small army, though, we buy the prepackaged 5 pounds of bananas at the warehouse store.

Bananas, no- unless, I can't find a bunch that's already attached. So say 3 or more individual bananas I would bag (though it hasn't really happened.) Wet, leafy, or items that will roll on conveyor belts, yes. Exception to the rolling items would be melons. Oh, berries or grapes, only because they are already packed into cartons or bags.

Yes.  Depending on how ripe they are, and how carefully or not I pick them up to put on the conveyor bet (and how carefully or not the cashier handles them) -- I don't want any of the bananas to flop around, therefore increasing the likelihood of bruising.  If the bananas are very green that's not a problem, but I try to avoid buying the really green ones.  Plus it's my habit, so all bananas go in bags.  Plus I feel a bit squeamish thinking about unbagged bananas touching a nasty grocery cart, traveling on a conveyor belt, being touched by a cashier who's handled lots of money and other nastiness.

Regarding cantaloupes, watermelon and pineapple -- I put all those in the sink and wash them before cutting.  I suppose we could do that with bananas, but it seems easier to put them in a bag and so cut way down on the germ load they may be carrying.

With two dogs and two cats, there is always a need for plastic bags around here.  IYKWIM.

But just to be clear --  I have no strong feeling about the "right" or "wrong" way to purchase bananas.  This is not a hill I feel the need to die on. ;)

I use bags even if I just get one thing. They are the last thing I put on the conveyor belt so all the produce can be put in one grocery bag together and I don't like the idea of them just rolling around while the belt is moving. I don't keep them in the bags when I get home, it's just a means of transportation. I can't think of any time I've not seen people use bags. I'll have to nose around next time I'm at the grocery store.

I didn't realize some people make their own bunch by taking individual bananas off of multiple bunches; that seems like the wrong way to buy bananas to me. I think using bags for sanitary reasons is mostly pointless because they've already been handled many times before you buy them and you don't eat the peel anyway.

I never did before, but I do now because the grocery store where I shop has these really cool machines where you type in the code and either weigh your produce or tell it how many you have in your bag and it spits out a barcoded price sticker.  I use that for everything and so bananas need to go in a bag.  I suppose I could just stick the sticker on a banana, but that would be kind of weird and probably wouldn't fit properly.

Bananas, no.  Other fruits, yes, because I don't just buy one (it is easier to ring up by weight if in a bag), and because if they have thin / edible skins like apples, I don't want the skins to get damaged in transit.  And if they are juicy, I don't want them to leak onto other stuff should they get squooshed.

I do not wash fruits before eating them.  I believe a little dirt and germs are good for us.  That said, I'm not trying to win a prize for eating the most dirt.  ;)

LOL Why?

I don't even know. It just seems WRONG to take one banana from several differen bunches. Now THOSE bunches have been all MESSED with and you have a bag of loose bananas like a weirdo. It's probably just Different is Bad Syndrome on my part since it never occurred to me to by less than a bunch at a time. I mean, even a single person can eat a bunch of bananas before they turn.

I'm probably not credible. I hate using the begs out of sheer laziness. I'm the lady that puts a pepper, a couple tomatoes, an avocado and a cucumber right on the belt. Oddly enough, I put my already-wrapped-meat in the bags. Probably because I'm washing the fruit anyway. I DID put a cucumber in a bag yesterday because the thing had just "rained" on it and I didn't want wet boxes in my bag.

I can leave my house and literally be home 15 minutes later with a bag full of groceries. My regular store is so close. It just seems like overkill to me to have produce in a bag for 15 minutes out of its entire lifespan. It seems like no protection or convenience to me.

LOL Why?

'Cause now it's gonna be like Hunger Games. Who can get to the cornucopia and snag off all the yelllw ones first, leaving bloody foes in their wake? Those who are only wounded will claw their way forward only to find an edless sea of hard green bananas.

That's prob why my local ShopRite tapes bunches together.

Interesting discussion about pulling a banana off a bunch.  Goes to show you how many of us are wired to take things as they are given to us.  LOL.  "These go together, obviously.  How can you break them apart?"  But, why not?

I've done it once or twice when I couldn't otherwise get a banana that would be edible within a couple of days.  But it usually doesn't occur to me to mess with the arrangement that "someone" determined.  Now it seems funny to realize I've been respectfully deferring to a banana tree all these years.