Menu

Which version of Lively Latin 1 to buy?

Hi, everyone. It seems almost incredible to be writing this, but DS will be in 6th grade next year. He has been studying Spanish, and now I'm going to add Latin to the mix. Neither one of us knows any Latin. I may be able to understand a few things because of knowing Spanish and a few other languages, but I have never studied it. 

I looked at samples of the Big Book of Lively Latin 1 online and it looks perfect for DS, who will be a fresh 11 by then. I see that there are three different versions to buy, though. One is the printed, the other the pdf version you have to print yourself, and the last one online. How has this worked for you in reality? 

I have a few things I print, but this seems like a GIANT book to print, and I don't have 100% confidence in myself or the printer to print out that many pages. I think DS will like the history interwoven as well, as we are rotating back to Ancients the same year. 

My question is then: which one is better, the actual printed book, or the online version? How does the online version work? Is it interactive? Does it work consistently? Are the pages consumable in the printed version (I have two girls coming after DS)? 

TIA!

I have no idea about the online version. I've never noticed it on the site. I bought the downloadable pdfs. That has been the best value for us. My son went through LL1 (actually twice, lol) and now my younger son will start it next year.

With my younger, he went through LL1 in years 4&5 (it is a very big book!) and then went through the whole first book again, minus the history, in 6th grade. Then he has done LL2 in 7&8th grade.

It has been very easy to download the PDFs to my hard drive and just print off as needed. No biggie. Seeing as I am about to start my third trip through LL1, I think it has been a good value as well.

I bought the printed version for my oldest. I'm not sure if there is more to the online version but with the printed version that I got you still have access to a lot online: all the answer keys, extra games that aren't in the printed version, all the audio files for pronunciation, etc. I find it a very easy website to navigate and use. You can also print out more pages if you need them for whatever reason.

The other thing I didn't know when I bought it the first time is that once you buy it you can print out as many as you want. So now with my second son, I am printing each lesson as we get to it from the online classroom. It was nice to have the convenience of the already printed version with my first but I am equally pleased to now have access to the same material included for my other kids. It also works even better as my second son isn't into the history parts (which my oldest LOVED) so I just don't print those pages. 

We really love Lively Latin. It's been such an easy program for me to teach as someone who is learning Latin alongside my kids. 

Thank you, all your answers have been very helpful.

I'm thinking of getting the PDF file since you can print as you go and link to games and websites as well. A really close second is actually owning the printed book. I like the idea that you can still do the games online and such, but from the PDF you can link directly..

I think all give you the same access to the online site. The printed version is way more expensive than the online version. The 2nd edition of Big Book 1 can be printed duplex in one fell swoop, so it's pretty easy. The $70 you save by getting the online version can be used to buy a Brother 2270DW laser printer with automatic duplex. ;) They go on sale regularly at various places. I've printed Big Book 1 in black and white via my laser, and I've only had to color in a couple things in the early chapters so far. I think we're in Chapter 8 now. My son doesn't care about the lack of color. He too enjoys the history portion of the book. :D

Now online version vs. CD version... You can resell the CD version, but you can't resell the online version. I don't know how much the CDs sell for used though. I got the Online version.

We have the online version. Book 1 for about 4 years now and Book 2 for about 6 months. I've never had any trouble logging in and printing out what I need. I thought I'd eventually print out the entire book, but that hasn't happened. I usually print out a week at a time in black and white. 

I think all give you the same access to the online site. The printed version is way more expensive than the online version. The 2nd edition of Big Book 1 can be printed duplex in one fell swoop, so it's pretty easy.

I'm not familiar with the term duplex. What does it mean? 

The printed version is very expensive, I agree. I'm leaning more and more towards the online or pdf versions.

I'm not familiar with the term duplex. What does it mean? 

Print both sides of the paper. Many printers will do manual duplex, where you print the first side of each page, then take that stack, turn it, and feed it back in to print the second side. More recent printers will often do auto duplex, where you just tell it to print both sides, and it prints the first side of the page, sucks the page back in, prints the second side, then spits out that page with both sides printed. So if I want to a lesson of Lively Latin, I just tell it to print duplex, and a minute or two later, I have the nice stack of pages all printed out on both sides, ready to hole punch and bind. :)

The Brother that I mentioned is often on sale for $70-80, and it prints auto duplex and also has fairly cheap toner (even brand name is $44 on Amazon, for 2600 pages, and I have printed at least 4000 pages on that cartridge using "toner save" mode for everything I print... generic cartridge on Amazon is about $11, and my friend had a good experience with it, but I haven't installed mine yet).

I get paper free after rebate from Staples (actually, my DH has gotten soooooo much free paper that he stocked up the church supply, gave my friend several reams, and we still have a couple cases sitting in the garage), so my only printing costs are the toner and the original cost of the printer.