Menu

Let's see your 10th grade list for next year

DS is currently in 10th grade. I will give you the plan and the reality. :tongue_smilie:

Plan                                                                    Reality

AP English Language (PAHS)                            same

Adv. Algebra 2 (public school)                            came home and moved to AoPS starting with Intermediate Algebra book,

Spanish 2  (public school)                                  mediocre class, starting with tutor early May (Spanish 3 through summer)

AP European History (home w/AP approve)      European history, no AP test, rethinking history back to something we enjoy

Chemistry (home)                                               fewer labs than expected, but more time when AP exam over

Weight training (public school - 0.5 credit)         same

Water Safety (PE at home - 0.5 credit)              actually unplanned, but includes Red Cross Life Guard certification,

US Sailing Level 1 Small Boat Instructor certification and State

Marine Boaters card

Health 2 (public school - 0.5 credit)                    same

Medieval World History (home)                          designed to pick up where we left off for Ancient history and cover gap up

to where AP Euro starts -

way behind in this and it's part of the "Rethinking History" plan.

Varsity swimming

Fall and spring sailing

Working this summer as an assistant sailing coach

10th:

Chalkdust Algebra 2

Pre AP English -Aim, SAT CR & Writing prep w/Erica Meltzer books

Lukeion Latin 2

AP US Gov

AP Psych both with PAH

Chemistry w/ Dive & BJU text

Several volunteer commitments

piano with competitions

Dance ministry & teaching 5-6yo class

Christian youth musical theatre

This is an in-pencil sketch of what's on the docket right now for ds10th:

Pre-Calculus                  Saxon Advanced Math with tutor/friend

Chemistry                       Apologia

20th Century History       homespun, book-based, to be done with his brother

Non-fiction Lit                 outside local tutorial

Eng II                             Writing -- still researching our spine; I'll be teaching in exchange for the Pre-Calc 

Finish up Rod & Staff 10

Apologetics                    local tutorial taught by an amazing friend  OR

AP Human Geo              online

Bible                              Precepts studies

Also on tap and seriously affecting the time ds will have in the fall

Varsity football

Varsity basketball

Volunteer work with Upward

Church youth group and choir

• 3 weeks later...

Wheelock's Latin

Discovering Music

Biology

Art of Argument ( Summer/Fall)

Caeser's English (Summer/Fall)

Organic Gardening/ Landscaping ( Summer/ Fall)

Cooking

IEW Rhetoric

American History ( Omnibus/ great books/ mix)

TT Algebra 1

Budget - Family Math - projects

Sculpture

Driver's Ed.

My daughter is now a college graduate, but here's what she did in 10th grade.

At home classes:

Algebra 2 (Lial's), 1.00 credits

Chemistry (Ebbing) with lab (MicroChem Kit), 1.00 credits

Out of the home classes (these were all done at a homeschooling resource center):

College Preparatory Essay Writing, 0.50 credits

Literature: Middle English, 0.25 credits

Latin 3, 1.00 credits

AP United States History, 1.00 credits

Yearbook Team, 0.75 credits

Debate, 0.25 credits

Swing Dance - Beginning, 0.50 credits

Regards,

Kareni

Electives: continuing courses with 1 credit earned cumulatively over the course of high school

Art history

Computer skills

PE

I don't know why I hadn't thought of this!  I kept trying to figure out how to cram it into one year.  Thank you regentrude!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the tentative 10th grade plan for my DD:

MUS Geometry 

MFW's WHL for English and History (putting the Bible component under the History umbrella)

Apologia Biology

Spanish 2 

Extracurricular:  USEF accreditation

Electives:  continuing courses with 1 credit earned cumulatively over the course of high school 

Art History

Computer skills

PE

It's been quite a summer so far as I've tried to reinvent the wheel.  I have come full circle with our curriculum choices.  Some changed, some stayed the same.  Just thought I'd update here -  (and say thank you to those who have been my sounding board as I've tried to make decisions!)

I think the biggest "aha moment" for me this time, as I approach our tenth year of homeschooling, is that YES, I can adjust things to fit our lives and my daughter's style.  "It's okay".  I've been way too rigid and driven myself (and my daughter!) crazy with over-analyzing it all.  :( 

Anyway...blessings to you for a wonderful next year!

English - Brave Writer's Help for High school then write, write, write across curriculum; BW online classes

Our Mother Tongue

MFW - WHL (all literature selections, most but not all writing assignments, and not all (just some)                          

and only some of the Bible/extra things (we won't be adding a credit for Bible)

History - MFW's schedule for World History

adding in Western Tradition videos for discussion

MUS Geometry along with Algebra review to keep concepts fresh

Apologia Biology

Painting course (Oak Meadow)

continuing with PE log completion of PE credit this year to get it officially "done"

Health - using MFW's choices and lessons plans

USEF accreditation (which means 4x a week at the barn, multiple shows, etc.)

community service

(Whew!)

Math: Geometry - Teaching Textbooks

Science: Chemistry - Apologia

Elective: Old Testament Survey - AO

History: World Geography - AO

Medieval History and Literature - HOMW

Foreign Language: Spanish 3

English: British Literature and Power in Your Hands Writing Non-Fiction

Thanks! This helps quite a bit. I am beginning to see how we need to be significantly moving in this direction with my son. His fiercely independent self is really beginning to come through. (Where could he have gotten that from - ahem!). There might be a mutiny coming if we don't start segueing into more self direction. I might just have to start 'trolling around Amazon.

I'm just lurking here getting ideas for 10th grade studies but thought I'd respond sine we have used a couple of lessons in the EIL guides this year.  DD is in 8th grade and loves to read and write.  We chose two books that went along with her history studies at the end of this year to see if she would like the program, I bought the whole bundle used so I was hoping it would be a hit!  It is a well designed program that doesn't just jump into reading the book right away.  Each lesson is done over four weeks and the first week is usually reading background info on the author and the time period.  They read the book over the next week or two and do several writing assignments along the way.  There is also a final writing assignment at the end.  While they are reading the book, they also encourage them to watch the movie (if there is one) and look at other resources to help them further understand the book.  The first lesson my daughter did was Julius Caesar, so she did some research on Shakespeare, wrote a brief author profile, read the book, re-wrote Brutus' speech, translated part of the book into modern English, and did a position paper on whether Brutus was selfless or not.  She also watched the play on DVD and the Great Courses lesson on Julius Caesar.  All in all it went very well, she enjoyed working independently and also did very well on the written assignments.  One thing I would like to add for next year is more discussion about the book, so I'm hoping to get ahead and read some of the books over the summer.  My hubby has read many of them as well, and can fill in where I might slack :)

The last lesson she is doing before the end of our year is Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe.  She's not enjoying the book very much, in her words he does too much character development and the story isn't going anywhere. She keeps saying it's got to get better soon. 

We are not going to do the books in order of the curriculum, but assign books that go with her history studies, which next year will be the Medieval and Renaissance.  There is also an "honors" track which assigns a second book in addition to the first, usually written by the same author, which could be a nice option if they don't enjoy the first book much.

I hope this helps!

Both teens will be grade 10 next year, they are doing a combination of online through alberta distance learning, and online with our school board and home brew depending on course.

All year

*English 20 (grade 11) using online high school writing, online literature classes plus R&S 6, LLATL grey and a study of shakespeare (not sure which play yet)

*PE 30 (grade 12 PE, they have their credits for 10 and doing 11 right now)

*Latin (10 for ds15, 20 for dd14) using a combination of Henle and Lingua Latina

*French 10 (grade 10 french online)

Term 1

Biology 20 (grade 11 bio)

Introduction to wildlife

Introduction to agriculture

wildlife diversity

forests & society

snacks & appetizers

Contemporary baking

fast & convience foods

MUS pre-Alg

Term 2

Social studies 20

Forensic science 25 (grade 11 sci elective)

word processing (1-3)

Chemistry 20 (grade 11 chem)

MUS alg 1

euclid's geometry 1a 

traditional logic 1

and some sort of religion or world view course, not sure which yet.

extras

cadets, shooting team (part of cadets), cadet may be starting a biathalon team they will try out for, nordic ski club, archery and kuk sool won.  possibility of each getting a p/t job it is being considered.  PLUS summer Hunter ed/jr firearms possession camp (each earns a credit in my province)

Completely packed but should be fine

so a lot of this has changed already.  I had to submit our plans to our school board for the fall already so I think I have it sorted out.  Some things changed because I was not impressed with where they will be in their course work as we come to the end this year and some because goals have changed.

So English, same materials but will be counted as English 10 rather than 20. PE, Latin and French as written.

From there, They will be doing science 10 not bio 20-this is something they started this year, they will finish it in first semester next year.

They will be doing anatomy and physiology using Apologia's adv bio course.  My province has a series of electives this will count for.  Essentially each body system is a credit, plus a few extras on pain and pain management, 3 courses on immunity etc.  The end result at the end of the study is 12 credits (a credit here is only 25 hours of work, it is different than for you guys)

PLUS they will do OM environmental science- this is towards a series of wildlife elective courses, the practical aspect of those courses seems to be getting covered in cadets, this will give the theory portion.  Once it is all said and done that is another 5 credits.  

Now the plan for the OM course and A&P is to spread it over 1.5-2 years if needed.

They will still take the foods courses as listed.  And do MUS pre-Alg in term 1, alg 1 in term 2 and Euclid's geometry 1A and possibly 1B online through our home school board(they offer 3 levels of this) .  The intro to agriculture class will go ahead as planned.

They will finish social studies 10 which they have started this year as well as CALM (career and life management) in term 1.  I had hoped they would finish for the end of this school year but that is not happening.  I am undecided if I will have them start social 20 in second term after that.  They will not be doing forensic science or chemistry  this year due to the already heavy science load.  They will for sure still be doing the word processing though.

Now for other additions:

They will be studying world religions using OM world religions course as well as religion 15 through our distance ed provider.  dd14 will finish history of the horse to finish her equine 1 & 2 courses that she began this year. Both will complete general music 10 through a combination of private music lessons and theory through our distance ed provider.  Both will complete art 10 using artistic pursuits high school book 1 and the new sculpture book.  They will finish logic using traditional logic 1 and will be doing a religious ethic course but I am not sure what resources we will be using for that.  

They will complete Canadian history 20 using a mixture of resources here, local and Canadian geography 20 though I am not sure what I will be using yer and cultural & physical anthropology using alpha omega anthropology.  These 3 courses I just recently learned our province accepts and awards credits for.  The focus in schools is always strictly social studies but I prefer the study of history and geography specifically and since I was going to make them continue studying Canadian history anyway this way gives them credit for that work.

Lastly both will be working and either earning work experience credits or in the case of ds15 be expected to find an apprenticeship to be earning credits through the registered apprenticeship program in this province.  

So their schedule is still full but with different courses.  Had they finished all they were supposed to this year it would have been different but it is what it is.  

The extras as listed will be the same though it looks like both have quit kuk sool won so they will need to find another source of physical training. They will hopefully also be taking drivers ed next year.

It seems like much more when written this way rather than in a bullet form list lol.  When I sent our education plan to the homeschool board it was 2 pages long per kids but included a preamble about the child as well as a section focused on character development.  So really total about 1 page long if you take those out and remove formatting.  

I wrote the initial list before the kids wanted to check out the local high school, the new list comes after they did so and have recommitted to homeschooling plus have started solidifying goals for post secondary.  I hope that we are not biting off more than we can chew yet and yet still instill a competitive high school education.

I have to say if ds15 can handle all of this and make it to graduation, I am throwing myself a huge party for succeeding to get him to where the ps said he would never reach (they said when he was 5 that they would aim to make him literate and leave him be because he would never succeed in anything more).  I am getting excited for next year :) 

TT Geometry

Discovery of Deduction

WWS2

Book Club reading and discussing the classics

French 2 w/ Mr. G

Spencerian Cursive

Grammar Girl

Poetry and speech study

Ellen McHenry's Cells, Kym Wright's Botany, and a science lecture or two from Great Courses 

Continuing our herbariums

Nature journal inspired by The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady

History Odyssey, Ancients level 3

Mapping the World With Art

Fencing

Piano

Martha Stewart Magazine for monthly lessons in home ec and handy crafts

and... another year of a homemade artsy-Friday schedule. So far I have Opera's Every Child Should Know, A Child's History of Art, and The Ballet Book, Workbook III to work with. I like to spend summer vacation organizing the whole thing and finding fun things to do and read.

There's also our fine arts picture study bulletin board. We never get tired of critiquing art and defining our personal tastes!

My backup work for when she's sick as a dog (the most predictable thing about our school year  ;) ) I have a set of Sister Wendy videos, and two books on writing (something she enjoys reading about) On Writing Well and The Elements of Style.

I'm so excited about next year!!!! And, so is the kid. :)

We are finishing up 10th grade: 

Math: Holt Geometry, 2007 edition, very thorough, lots of proofs, written to student, online helps available. We also used ALEKS for some test prep, and she liked that as well. 

History: The Humanistic Tradition; I never see this mentioned on the boards, but we are in year 2 of this multi-book series and I really like it. Finished up civics with the AP test prep book. 

Science: We started off with Contemporary Chemistry, but dd found it confusing and not as thorough as she'd like. We switched to Chang Chemistry, which she preferred even though it was a lot harder, and also watched some of the videos from Georgia Public Broadcasting. 

French: Breaking the Barrier 2; she likes this a lot, it's very grammar intensive compared to many programs. 

Latin: combination of stuff - the Form series from Memoria Press to tighten up grammar she's missed, the SAT book for an overview, readings and translations. 

English: writing across the curriculum, reading paired to history, and some Great Courses videos like Analysis and Critique, Western Literary Canon in Context

Geography was our horrific fail for the year  :blushing:

and... another year of a homemade artsy-Friday schedule. So far I have Opera's Every Child Should Know, A Child's History of Art, and The Ballet Book, Workbook III to work with. I like to spend summer vacation organizing the whole thing and finding fun things to do and read.

There's also our fine arts picture study bulletin board. We never get tired of critiquing art and defining our personal tastes!

It costs a little money, but my dd LOVED this  At the Opera  We read one a week and then looked on youtube to find a production of the opera to watch.   :)

Ok, this got a little ridiculous!  I've been researching botany for an hour because I liked your ideas so much.  I already have a pile of living books we could use for biology, but dd shied away and did chemistry this year instead. For 10th, I think we may do bio.  Anyways, I found this and thought it might go well with your botany study.  There's an audio for it that seems very nice.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Forest-Unseen-Years-Nature/dp/0143122940/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_3_dp

1st child - BJU Geometry, Physics, ASL II, Art Survey, Lightning Literature British and Medieval Literature & Composition, Government, Economics, PE

2nd child - BJU Algebra II, Apologia Chemistry, ASL II, Art Studio, Lightning Literature British and Medieval Literature & Composition, Government, Economics, PE

It costs a little money, but my dd LOVED this  At the Opera  We read one a week and then looked on youtube to find a production of the opera to watch.   :)

Ok, this got a little ridiculous!  I've been researching botany for an hour because I liked your ideas so much.  I already have a pile of living books we could use for biology, but dd shied away and did chemistry this year instead. For 10th, I think we may do bio.  Anyways, I found this and thought it might go well with your botany study.  There's an audio for it that seems very nice.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Forest-Unseen-Years-Nature/dp/0143122940/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_3_dp

Thanks! I just put both books on hold at the library.

I'd love to see your reading list for biology. :)

Thanks! I just put both books on hold at the library.

I'd love to see your reading list for biology. :)

I think I've put the list up.  I have a wish list on amazon and I've just sorta collected things.  http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/453053-feedback-on-illustrated-guide-to-home-biology/  Here, I found this thread.  Thanks to you I found more things today to add to my wish list, hehe.  I just don't know what will happen.  I love your idea of picking a couple areas to focus on.  Dd has SO enjoyed READING about science this year that I want to continue that next year and let her do more.  Actually, she asked to do more.  This year we were split sorta 50/50 (not quite) with the GA PBS chem videos and reading.  It's a lot of just processing and drudgery for her.  She really enjoys the narrative side of the science, and I get sorta torn in my mind.  I know she needs 3 semesters of college science (bio, chem, microbio, organic,) total toward the culinary arts program.  I don't want her taking bio at the cc, so that leaves doing it with CLEP/AP or doing it as DE with an online christian college if I can find one that transfers for the right amount.  For instance Cedarville's says it's 3.5 credits, and the cc wants a 4 credit course.  Oy.  I have to call the registrar about that and sort it out.  

That's just the long way of saying she really only has this coming year to do anything for sheer joy.  After that she gets locked into this progression of must-dos.  She's so keen on the science reading she has been doing this year, I'd like her to have more room for that or let it somehow morph and become the full credit for next year.  It's just that Cedarville (if that's what she uses for the DE bio) will want a transcript *with* course descriptions.  So if I put down something really bizarre sounding, seems to me they're going to wonder if she's actually READY for that class.  And of course there's the minor detail (duh) that I want her actually ready for the class.  ;)

Homeschooling with the end in mind without losing our mind!!!!!  That's what we need.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

According to DD1's credits she will be considered 10th next year:

Summer:

Web Design (FLVS)
Guitar (FLVS)

finish Geometry (TT)

Math:  SAT/ACT prep focus - depends on how well the sample tests go after TT, then eventually move on to Algebra 2
Sciences:  Honors Anatomy & Physiology w/ Lab (Fall)  Honors Chemistry (Spring/Summer)

AP Human Geo

History:  Ancients (adapted version of History Odyssey 3, Great Courses: Origins of Civilization, Ancient Rome, Odyssey, Illiad, & Anneid, and random Videos)

Foreign Languages:  Latin 3 (FLVS) & Spanish 3 (FLVS)
Fine Arts:  Intro to Clay & Pointe Ballet

Logic:  A Workbook for Arguments: A Complete Course in Critical Thinking, Morrow/Weston
English:  Edgar Roberts Introduction to Literature AP (due to heavy reading for HO, we plan to start, but do this slowly, spending 2 years on this book along with significant essay writing through IEW-based lessons and then eventually take the CLEP/AP)