Menu

Spaghetti sauce

Are you going to can them?

Our sauce begins as tomatoes boiled until the skins cracked, cooled in ice water, peeled and cooked with hot and medium Italian peppers, and some salt for about 5-8 hours...

Then we can the concoction and later it gets put through a food mill when it is time to make sauce, to strain the seeds and skins.

I chop onion and green pepper in the food processor, and cook it in a pot with the meat (sometimes sausage pieces, pork loin, or ground beef) until the meat is cooked and then strain the tomatoes and peppers right over the pot. I cook that down and add basil and oregano.

That's probably more complicated than you wanted, hehe.

Are you going to can them?

That's probably more complicated than you wanted, hehe.

Nottoo complicated at all. My first batch (about 4 qt) of tomatoes has been boiled and peeled. I want to use some for salsa, and was considering sauce for the rest, but I don't care for the sauce recipes I have used in the past. That is why I thought I would ask the hive. :001_smile:

My intention was to freeze the sauce, but canning would save on freezer space. Can you give me some canning tips also?

Once you have skimmed the scum off of the top of the 'maters and its all cooked down you can begin canning.

We usually used a roasting pan on the stove to sterilize the jars in boiling water, the kind that is black or blue with the white specks. You usually have room to throw the self sealing lids in and the rings that hold them down.

When you pour the tomatoes into the jars, be sure to use a clean cloth to wipe the mouth of the jar where the seal will sit, so that it seals right.

Be sure to label them with hot, medium or mild :) That left us guessing more than once. We like to do different sized jars so we use "the precious" very carefully.

We usually leave them on the counter to cool and seal.

My parents also canned salsa and pizza sauce. But I never learned how to do those. :( I used to get extra credit in school for bringing salsa in for my Spanish class!