Menu

Memoria Press

tm_burriss

DS will be taking Second Form and MS Comp II. For Latin, we have decided to go with Paul Cable on Fridays because my son wanted to have a male teacher-- he already has a few classes online with female teachers. :). I am still undecided about which teacher to go with for the writing class. If anyone has any thoughts or comments on the MS Comp II teachers, I would love to hear them.

I'm thinking about enrolling my dd. My ds is taking science online at Veirtas Press and we've been happy with them. VP classes meet twice a week and most of the MP classes are once per week, I'm wondering if my dd would be okay with once a week. Hope someone chimes in with irl experience with MP online!

I'm thinking about enrolling my dd. My ds is taking science online at Veirtas Press and we've been happy with them. VP classes meet twice a week and most of the MP classes are once per week, I'm wondering if my dd would be okay with once a week. Hope someone chimes in with irl experience with MP online!

How long are the MP once a week classes vs. the VP twice a week classes?

How long are the MP once a week classes vs. the VP twice a week classes?

Well, the Biology class at VP is 1.5 hr two times per week and at MP their Biology class is 1hr and 15 mins once per week. VP biology is $645 and MP biology is $500.  Even though I think my ds needs two class meetings a week, the MP biology course looks a little meatier and maybe more interesting. I just can't decide which is why I'm glad the OP started this discussion.

• 2 months later...

I am still trying to decide so decided to bump this so others can see it. My son has done Henle 1 through what they would do for the first year with MP but I am thinking it wouldn't hurt him to do it again because I am not sure how much he actually "got" last year.

We are finished with MP online First Form (Paul Cable) and MP online High School Comp 1 (Kyle Janke).  I will say the comp 1 class seemed to be a bit slow but I've been assured it will ramp up quickly with 2.  The progym is fully explained on their website and Mr. Scott Piland, who oversees MP online academy, graciously took almost half an hour one day describing to me (and reassuring me about) the progression of composition workload and the reasoning for it throughout high school (or middle school).

I love having these two subjects "off my plate" regarding my teaching responsibilities.  I'm still here to help but it is a burden lifted that I don't have to first learn the progym or latin before my students can benefit from both.  These aren't easy subjects and I'm very thankful MP has done such a wonderful job with my students.

As far as the money, I first simply had to decide if I wanted to outsource the subjects or not.  Could I consistently stay ahead of them in learning the subject matter and be able to help when problems arise?  I knew, in reality, with everything else I had going on that would honestly be a struggle.  If I dropped the ball, learning would stop.  

We finished and they did well, and the money worked out.  They enjoyed the classes as much as they could have, it is latin after all :) and I have nothing but praise for each teacher.  Their patience and knowledge of the material was superior.  They kept the class in order and moving forward.  My students learned the material with only a few struggles throughout the year because they were not diligent to study (their own admission) and we will be renewing participation for the fall.

Hope this helps...