Menu

Trying to figure milk out

I have a friend who is part of a raw milk co-op. I've been reading stuff lately that sounds like raw milk is the way to go. In NC you have to do a co-op or something b/c raw milk is illegal here. I guess they bring it up form SC. I tasted her milk the other day and it tasted fine to me. Oldest dd was with me and she didn't taste a difference. My friend also pointed out this milk had been frozen b/c no one made the milk run last time.

Anyway, I've read that raw milk is great b/c of all these benefits. I've also seen here that a number of you are dairy free. So I'm trying to figure out if I need to change my milk habits - no milk, stick with hormone free (but not organic) milk, or switch to raw milk. Websites to read through would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

It is also much better for you than milk that is pasteurized, as far as nutrients and health benefits go. That said, I think you need to be really careful where it is coming from. Is the environment clean? Are the animals free-ranging and healthy? Do they use hormones? Antibiotics?

If it's a private individual, that's even better. They aren't likely to have disease issues if they only have a cow or two and have them on pasture with a very clean environment and milking area. They also need to get the milk cooled very quickly.

Freezing does do a "cold-pasteurization" and will kill off some things. We used to freeze our goats' milk for leaner times.

I would just be sure to check out everything. If I didn't know details for SURE, my next choice would be organic milk.

Any other ??'s, just ask...

We've been drinking raw milk for almost two years now, and we love it. There is nothing like it. Also, I am lactose intolerant to pasteurized dairy products, but I can tolerate raw with no problem.

We get our milk from a very safe source, their herd is checked frequently and has been certified for safety.

This site is a little controversial, but I will still recommend it:

http://www.realmilk.com/

I think you need to be really careful where it is coming from. Is the environment clean? Are the animals free-ranging and healthy? Do they use hormones? Antibiotics? If it's a private individual, that's even better. They aren't likely to have disease issues if they only have a cow or two and have them on pasture with a very clean environment and milking area.

So to your mind, buying raw milk from someone who has just a cow or two is a safer option than, say, buying raw milk from a dairy that's subject to inspection?

I am trying to sort through these issues myself!

Our plans are to get a dairy goat soon (right now we are trying to educate ourselves, figure out the structures and fencing that we need, and finance the whole endeavor).

We visited a family who raises dairy goats recently. He is very careful to test his milk and keep his goats healthy and closely monitored. I tasted goat milk for the first time. It was raw, and it was absolutely wonderful. I couldn't believe how delicious it was! Knowing how carefully he monitors his goats and milk, I felt comfortable drinking his raw milk. (We also tasted 4 kinds of goat cheese, and he sent us home with 3 bars of goat milk soap and 2 bottles of goat milk lotion!)

While I trust him and his knowledge of what it takes to have clean milk, I do not at this point trust myself. I have so much to learn. So, I am saving for a home pasteurizer to use at least at the beginning of our milking adventure. I suspect that I will cease using it eventually, as my confidence and knowledge of how to ensure that I have a healthy animal and clean milk increases.

I do think that raw milk is probably better for us--as long as it is free from harmful bacteria. I'm an obsessive germ freak, so we'll see how it goes! lol.

In the meantime, I am so excited about the whole thing I can hardly stand it. I've ordered cheese making supplies, and would love to make my own butter, yogurt and ice cream as well :D My ultimate goal is to have a milk cow, but we've decided to start with a goat and maybe get a cow next year or so.

I would love to get my hands on some milk from the dairys of Colleen and Julie here on the board, but they are clear across the country from me :(

Tracy