Menu

Tried a good, NEW recipe lately?

Oooooh! I have everything for this in the fridge, so guess what I'm making for dinner tomorrow? Looks good!

Aside from the fact we all like it, I generally have all the ingredients on hand. That makes it a keeper in my house.

I try to cook from a new recipe once every week or two; most of them are ok but don't make it to the "keepers" binder. But I tried one this week that was GREAT!

Ina Garten's Salmon Cakes - I modified by using leftover salmon filet instead of cooking it just for the recipe, and I used gluten free cracker crumbs instead of homemade bread crumbs. This made the recipe easy enough for a weekday, but I doubt it took away much of the yummy factor! This is a skinnier version of the recipe that bakes instead of pan fries. I will probably keep the original recipe but try the baking method next so I don't have to cook in batches.

Your turn! Do you have a NEW recipe that you've tried recently and loved?

This is one of my all time favorite recipes. I triple it each time & freeze the individual cakes.

Just made Jamie Oliver's tikka masala dish...omg...to die for! Very quick & easy.

I tried this sweet and sour chicken recipe and it was delicious. The leftovers reheated nicely too. I think I'd cut the vinegar back a bit next time:

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/07/sweet-and-sour-chicken-updated.html

I made this tonight, and it was a winner. I took Unicorn's advice and halved the sugar (I also halved the cooking time, as an hour for chicken chunks seemed absurd). I also used ponzu vinegar, which worked really well.

And it occurs to me that I just wrote one of those annoying reviews listing all the ways I failed to follow the recipe. Still, it was good! :)

I try to cook from a new recipe once every week or two; most of them are ok but don't make it to the "keepers" binder.  But I tried one this week that was GREAT!  

Ina Garten's Salmon Cakes   - I modified by using leftover salmon filet instead of cooking it just for the recipe, and I used gluten free cracker crumbs instead of homemade bread crumbs.  This made the recipe easy enough for a weekday, but I doubt it took away much of the yummy factor!  This is a skinnier version of the recipe that bakes instead of pan fries.  I will probably keep the original recipe but try the baking method next so I don't have to cook in batches. 

Your turn!  Do you have a NEW recipe that you've tried recently and loved? 

Looks fabulous, especially for someone who can live on fish and veggies.

I have started to make my own kale chips. There is nothing to it. Cut up kale into bite size pieces (they shrivel anyway), spritz a pyrex or other oven proof dish with good olive oil, toss in kale, liberally season with sea salt and Italian seasoning or whatever you like. Bake at F350 for about 25-30 minutes or until edges are curling. :laugh:  Makes a great snack.

I'm on my cell phone & it won't let me provide a link. Closetcooking.com has really awesome unique recipes. I'll try to post more later once I'm at my computer. One recipe on the site that I know was a big hit was jalapeño popper soup. It isn't spicy & has beans, delicious!

Looks fabulous, especially for someone who can live on fish and veggies.

I have started to make my own kale chips. There is nothing to it. Cut up kale into bite size pieces (they shrivel anyway), spritz a pyrex or other oven proof dish with good olive oil, toss in kale, liberally season with sea salt and Italian seasoning or whatever you like. Bake at F350 for about 25-30 minutes or until edges are curling. :laugh:  Makes a great snack.

I just remade these today, along with sweet potato fries and salad.  Super impressive looking, but not too hard since I got the salmon mixture ready in the morning.  This time around, I made the patties and popped them in the oven at 450° for 15 mins on one side then 10 more mins on the other side.  Soooo good.