Menu

Alcohol Etiquette Question (host and some guests drink, some guests don't drink)

Veritaserum

Alcohol Etiquette  

242 members have voted

1. 1. If the host drinks alcohol and some of the guests drink alcohol, is it rude to the non-drinkers for the host to serve and consume alcohol?

• No, it's not rude. The non-drinkers can drink something else (juice, milk, soda, water)
    • Yes, it's rude. The drinkers should abstain so that the non-drinkers are comfortable.
    • It's rude if the non-drinkers don't drink due to religious reasons. If the non-drinkers abstain due to personal preference only, it's not rude for the host and other guests to drink.
    • It's rude if the non-drinkers don't drink due to familial alcoholism. The non-drinkers abstain out of worry of becoming addicted or due to bad experiences with alcoholic family members.
    • It's rude if the non-drinkers don't drink due to being recovering alcoholics.

Provo is a different thing. Where did you find drinkers? LOL. As a Mormon I do not drink alcohol (or coffee or tea), and I would not attend a party with a drinking FOCUS. I would attend where other guests consume some alcohol in a sophisticated manner, and would not find that rude.  I would not ever purchase or serve coffee, tea, or alcohol for my own home for a party.

It might depend on the amount of people.  If I were having a small group in my home, I would not serve alcohol if someone were a recoving alcoholic.  EVER.  But if it were a gathering large enough to be held at another location, I might consider it.

My SIL is an alcoholic.  She had a really tough time and went through inpatient treatment.  She hated when we tried to have alcohol free family gatherings "for her sake", hated it.  She felt that it made her responsible for us not being able to have a beer or glass of wine and that it implied a lack of trust in her.