Menu

So, I am turning 50 in 4 months....

Mommyfaithe

I honestly think someone on this forum needs to make a basket under water. You don't need to take a class. You don't need to make 50. We will be impressed by a solo effort.

I'm all in favor of Faithe doing it, mainly because I'm 50 now, too, and I'm not really into the whole underwater basketmaking thing.

If someone has to do it, it might as well be Faithe. :D

Underwater basket weaving??? That could work, except I hate being wet!!

Well what about making it in the laundry sink? It's still under water and leaves room for someone else to one up you later buy doing the whole wetsuit and snorkel thing.

When I turned 50, I decided to take up kayaking and combat/street fighting style martial arts. I have really been enjoying both!

I also have a new mantra to repeat when anyone is irritating me, "I'm 50 years old - I don't have to take this crap!" And I don't.

I am thinking about getting a tattoo to celebrate if/when I finally reach black belt status. I am currently leading a Middle Ages fight team of teen boys, we are focusing on sword fighting and knife throwing.

So I'd have to say that once I turned the corner at 50, this new street has been very interesting. A bit more feisty than I expected. Needless to say, my homemaking, farming, gardening, crunchy homesteading nature mama aspects are suffering a bit from lack of attention. But there will be plenty of time to revisit those areas later. I guess I felt like I wanted to make sure to get my physically intensive plans met before too many aches and pains overtake me. So far, so good.

I just wanted to say that I turned 50 once and it hardly hurts a bit! :001_cool:

I am looking forward to it! I am in the best health physically, mentally and spiritually of my entire life. I am happy and strong for the first time. I like me for the first time! My fifties are going to be pure awesomeness! I have been waiting fr this my whole life! Bring it on!

Pull out your community center or parks and rec guide. Pick a class. Anything. Stained glass, Zumba, acting, creative writing. Or look up meet ups in your area and join a group from there. You could join a group to improve or learn a skill or you could join something you already do well with the goal of just meeting new people.

I decided that I wanted to be slimmer for the rest of my life.  I looked around my choir and decided that I had a lot of good examples of how to age (the choir ranges in age from 17 to 90-ish) and I wanted to be slim, reasonably fit (allowing for the problems of ageing) and keep a good hair cut (grey but well-styled).  I'm approaching my 51st birthday and have lost over ten pounds to well in the normal range, am still working on finding an affordable hairdresser who produces a good cut, took advantage of an offer at the opticians and bought funky new frames.

The rest of my ambitions (concert-going, etc.) will wait until Hobbes leaves home.

L

Write a book. You have a treasure of experience and wisdom to share with the world.

I have thought about this....sort of a memoir of living outside the box, homeschooling a bunch of real kids during real life etc.....but, I don't think I am ready yet. I am not cooked until my last 2 are finished....a good book would take way too much focus that I need to spend on my kids....

But, yeah...maybe my goal for 60!

Guest LauraGettingReadyFor50

Faithe, I feel the same way -- I turn 50 next February and am trying to tackle a goal a month until the big day -- this month is working on being a better photographer. Other things on my list are learning to dance, skateboard, learning more about my faith, etc. I won't be an expert by the end of each month but I might find something I really love and want to do more of in the future (like you, I still have kids at home so not a lot of time). I started a new FB page for people like us (looking for goals before 50) and would love if you (and the others on this chain) will share advice. It's at www.facebook.com/GettingReadyFor50. Happy early birthday, Faithe!

How about some sort of giving back? Some sort of volunteer work for people or animals? Sometimes doing something meaningful for others is more satisfying than fulfilling a selfish bucket list. That came out wrong! I don't mean that having a bucket list is selfish. I just mean that sometimes looking beyond ourselves is better than doing things soley for ourselves.

I think a mixture of both is good. A little something for others and a little something just for me.

I'm turning 50 in July.

My bucket list:

-- braces (share the journey w/ my boys)

-- work toward a children's book

-- take a shooting class (taught by a woman; looking forward to it)

-- 50 days of yoga

-- Agility training with my dog

-- find a new rental with a much nicer landlord

--  50 days of getting along with DH (moderator: I'm not criticizing him, but he can be argumentative. I'm just saying. . .)

-- for once have a pretty bedroom

That's all I've got for the moment.

Alley

I decided that I wanted to be slimmer for the rest of my life.  I looked around my choir and decided that I had a lot of good examples of how to age (the choir ranges in age from 17 to 90-ish) and I wanted to be slim, reasonably fit (allowing for the problems of ageing) and keep a good hair cut (grey but well-styled).  I'm approaching my 51st birthday and have lost over ten pounds to well in the normal range, am still working on finding an affordable hairdresser who produces a good cut, took advantage of an offer at the opticians and bought funky new frames.

The rest of my ambitions (concert-going, etc.) will wait until Hobbes leaves home.

L

I love this response -- can you share a photo that's at least similar to your new frames?

Alley

I have always enjoyed swimming laps, and in my younger years I kept track of my mileage. When I accumulated 50 miles, I earned a 50 mile patch from the Red Cross. When I turned 50, I set a goal for myself to accumulate 50 miles again.  It took me a few years, due to the fact that the closest pool is 1/2 hour away and I was dealing with a back/shoulder injury.  Setting a goal is very motivating.  I am now on my way to 100 miles! Good luck and have fun with whatever you set out to achieve!