Menu

Math: Derek Owens and Jann in TX, pros and cons?

Any info. on your experiences with either of these teachers would be great. In particular, if you're really happy with one or the other, what do you like best about their teaching and classes? 

If your child has gone at his/her own pace with Derek Owens, have they moved through their course more slowly or more quickly than the span of an average class? Did your student do the math through the summer?

My ds took geometry with Jann in TX several years ago as a freshman. The class was well-organized, the lectures were thorough and understandable, the homework assignments were helpful for practicing the material learned, and the tests were fair and graded quickly. I thought the level of the class was geared to an average to above-average student with good study skills. Jann was always willing to answer questions from students and communicated well with me if I needed to get in touch with her.  My freshman son handled this class completely on his own without my assistance.

My ds generally doesn't like on-line classes and we have steered away from them, but Jann's was an exception.

A good solid class with reasonable assignments and content offered by a well-organized and experienced teacher!

• Like 1

We've used both Jann and Derek Owens. I agree with what ks-sonflower stated about Jann's courses.

Elder DS (now in college) took Jann for alg 1, geometry, and alg 2. After alg 1, he insisted upon taking Jann for his remaining high school maths. He took math at the community college for his 12th grade math. When he took the placement test, he scored into Calculus but could not take it because he had not taken trig. Overall, he scored above average on the math portion of his college entrance exams, but math was his weakest area on these tests.

10th grade DS took Jann for alg 1 and is currently taking alg 2 with her.  He took geometry with Derek Owens between the two algebras. Although, I think DO's courses are wonderful, geometry was nearly a disaster for DS. Well, I guess I should not say 'disaster' because he made an A in the course. The format did not work for him at all. He learned NOTHING from the lectures would get almost every practice problem wrong. DS and I would have to go back through the book, lectures notes, and watch videos online before he understood the lessons. DS virtually taught himself geometry because DO offers no tutoring. (BTW, Jann gives FREE tutorials to her students.)  Because DS had to do a lot of extra work to do to learn the concepts, he had to work through the summer. DS and I got so burned out on reading and re-reading material and looking for adequate videos online that I ended up hiring a tutor for him to take him through the remainder of the curriculum. Now, let me add this DS was struggling with learning differences that were not diagnosed until late in second semester of this geometry year. He has only taken the PSAT...scored slightly above average, but again, math the weakest area. He'll be taking the ACT in June. I wish Jann taught Pre-calc and Calc.

7th grade DD is taking Jann for Honors Pre-algebra. The course goes a little slow for her, but this is my higher-achieving child. I signed up for Jann's alg 1 course, and I'l probably use her for geometry and alg 2 also.

If you'd like more info, PM me.

My oldest has taken DO Precalculus and Calculus. My son has ADD and is a very slow worker. He also came into the course from Math U See, so he probably had learning gaps to fill. It took my son 12 months to do Precalculus. He finished with a B in the class.

We decided to continue with DO for Calculus. It has been extremely difficult for my son. He is just finishing the first semester work this week. I've finally realized that the format of the class is not working for him. He needs more interaction.

I have found DO helpful. He responds to emails promptly.

FWIW, both my boys are taking DO Physics this year. They are keeping up and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

He took geometry with Derek Owens between the two algebras. Although, I think DO's courses are wonderful, geometry was nearly a disaster for DS. Well, I guess I should not say 'disaster' because he made an A in the course. The format did not work for him at all. He learned NOTHING from the lectures would get almost every practice problem wrong. DS and I would have to go back through the book, lectures notes, and watch videos online before he understood the lessons. DS virtually taught himself geometry because DO offers no tutoring.

This has been our experience with DO geometry.  It's actually not DO's fault in the sense that his lectures are crystal clear.  The problem is with the book that the practice problems come out of (Jacobs 3rd edition). 

It has gotten to the point where I watch the lectures and take notes.  Then I find practice problems that directly reinforce the concepts that are being taught, which about 95% of the time means that I'm pulling problems out of Jacobs 2nd edition (which is much better than the 3rd edition).  I've found that there is frequently a big disconnect between what is taught in the lectures, what is assigned as practice, and what is actually graded (the HW sheets and the tests).  Anyway, I then present the material to my son and have him do the problem sets I've put together.

So, essentially, I'm paying a bunch of money to teach a course myself.

Thank you for posting these reviews. I have been struggling with the decision of what to do with dd next yr for precal. I was leaning toward DO, but now I am second guessing.

I had been considering DO as well, so I will be curious to see what you do. We are working hard with AopS, but sometimes I have to pull from Foerster for a "lower' level explanation for myself. I am feeling uncomfortable about my ability to continue on with precalculus because of the time involved with all of our classes. I think I need a teacher, not a facilitator.

We've had a good experience with DO.  My 9th grader is taking DO Calculus this year and is doing very well in the class and is a little ahead of schedule.  I have been completely hands off--there is no way I could help her, which is why I signed her up for the class in the first place (I don't remember a bit of Calculus from college). To be fair, she is a very motivated student and math comes very easily to her.  Both she and my oldest (non-mathy) dd took DO Physics last year and liked the format and the flexible pacing, so she specifically asked to continue with him for Calculus.  I guess we'll have to see how the AP test goes in May, but so far we're very happy with the decision.

I would be happy to ask her specific questions if you have any. :001_smile:  

My boys are taking Algebra I with Derek Owens this year and it's been going very well. They'll finish in one school year/about 9 months. Sometimes they're ahead of schedule; sometimes they're right on schedule. It depends what's going on in their other classes.

I'm disappointed to hear about the experiences with Geometry. I've been looking at DO's geometry for next year, but was already concerned because of the Jacobs text.

My DD had a wonderful experience with DO's Algebra 1 course.  I highly recommend it.  DO Geometry, however, was a disaster.

I've found that there is frequently a big disconnect between what is taught in the lectures, what is assigned as practice, and what is actually graded (the HW sheets and the tests). 

:iagree:This. Exactly.  We bailed in early December after only making it through the first four chapters. 

We plan to return to DO for Algebra 2 and hope to stick with him through Calculus. 

My ds took geometry with Jann in TX several years ago as a freshman. The class was well-organized, the lectures were thorough and understandable, the homework assignments were helpful for practicing the material learned, and the tests were fair and graded quickly. I thought the level of the class was geared to an average to above-average student with good study skills. Jann was always willing to answer questions from students and communicated well with me if I needed to get in touch with her.  My freshman son handled this class completely on his own without my assistance.

This mirrors my son's experience with Jann, but he took algebra with her as a freshman.  Ds dropped out of her geometry class, but it had everything to do with us and was not a reflection on Jann or her class, and we (of course!) continue to recommend her to others.

I was also greatly appreciative that Jann would take the time to give help outside of the class the few times my son asked. She gave him a far better understanding of the exact same material that I'd covered with my daughter a few years before.

My dd is now in Algebra 2 with Jann and also took Geometry with her last year.  Her teaching style has fit my daughter very well. 

You can choose a one or two day class, and they both cover the same amount of material each week.  Math is not a strength for my dd, so she prefers the material more broken up per week.  She also requests tutorials regularly, which have helped her understanding tremendously.  Also, the classes and tutorials are recorded so the student  can rewatch them if they need to.  My dd also has had some learning challenges this year, specifically vision, and Jann has been very accommodating.

We both wish she taught Pre-Calc!! We're still not sure where to take that next year.  I don't think self-paced will work so well for us.

Hope that helps!

Pauline

I highly recommend Jann's courses.  All three of my children have taken classes with her and like her.  She is friendly, engaging, and effective.   My oldest daughter particularly enjoyed her Geometry class and only had to do minimal preparation for the Geometry portion of the SAT.   Jann is great!

My ds is doing DO Physics & Calculus this year - he loves both of them. As to work load, he's on track to finish Calc a month early, and Physics on time, but he's a very motivated student and great for "Box-checking". He did a live online class for PreCalc last year, through Potter's School, and it was a good experience but very difficult. He has told me that he loves the way Mr. Owens explains the concepts, and he loves that he can work at his own pace.

Wow, you guys are really giving me pause for thought as I have been strongly considering DO Geometry for ds12.  It sounds like if there was one DO course which caused problems that was it, and not just for one family.  Hmm, I may have to reconsider.  

For those who used Jann to teach Geometry do you know if she goes into proofs very much?  And if so to what level?  I guess I could do geometry on our own with AoPS or some other text.  But I would like to get grading input of the proofs since there can be more than one correct answer and its been a long time since I took geometry.

Thanks,

Did anyone feedback the information on the Geometry text and problems to the DO Folks?  I have not used their service or expect to but I did contact them for one of my friends and they seemed real nice. The sample lectures looked very well presented.

This has been our experience with DO geometry.  It's actually not DO's fault in the sense that his lectures are crystal clear.  The problem is with the book that the practice problems come out of (Jacobs 3rd edition). 

It has gotten to the point where I watch the lectures and take notes.  Then I find practice problems that directly reinforce the concepts that are being taught, which about 95% of the time means that I'm pulling problems out of Jacobs 2nd edition (which is much better than the 3rd edition).  I've found that there is frequently a big disconnect between what is taught in the lectures, what is assigned as practice, and what is actually graded (the HW sheets and the tests).  Anyway, I then present the material to my son and have him do the problem sets I've put together.

So, essentially, I'm paying a bunch of money to teach a course myself.

You should feedback this info to them maybe they would give you some $ credit towards a future course.

For those who used Jann to teach Geometry do you know if she goes into proofs very much?  And if so to what level?  I guess I could do geometry on our own with AoPS or some other text.  But I would like to get grading input of the proofs since there can be more than one correct answer and its been a long time since I took geometry.

Thanks,

In addition to getting opinions here, I would encourage you to talk to Jann! She's always very willing to chat, very helpful!

My dd is currently taking Geometry with Jann.  She is doing well and we are very pleased with the instruction and interaction.  We will definitely be going with her for Alg. 2 as well.  DO would not be a good fit for my dd.  She does best with a live teacher.  

This has been so helpful. Thanks everyone! I think I've decided to go with Jann. My dss #3 and #4 have been doing Chalkdust Math (Dana Mosely videos). The teaching is just fine, but the extra help they need is not available. My husband tries to help them, but it so buried with work. We also need the accountability of a schedule and teacher, and some real class time. It sounds like a perfect fit, especially given that she can help outside of class. My older boys went through Algebra II at home then moved on to courses at our local community college. Algebra II is all we're really trying to get through at home. I'll be registering later today. Thanks, everyone!

Lisa

My dd is currently taking Geometry with Jann.  She is doing well and we are very pleased with the instruction and interaction.  We will definitely be going with her for Alg. 2 as well.  DO would not be a good fit for my dd.  She does best with a live teacher.  

I have a question for Samba or anyone else who has taken classes with Jann.  From my understanding Jann grades the quizzes and tests but the parent is supposed to grade the homework.  That would not be a problem for me normally.  But for Geometry I am specifically looking for help in grading the Proofs which have more than one correct answer.  If Jann doesn't grade them how are you grading them?

Thanks,

For geometry, Jann used more worksheets and practice problems and videos online than the textbook. If we remember correctly, Jann would provide an answer sheet for the proofs, and they would go over them in class.

HTH

Pauline

Thanks, Pauline.  Do you recall if you had any difficulty with her approach when it came to grading the proofs?  It sounds like you and your dd found it to be an overall good educational experience.  I am considering it for our other children as well who have very different learning styles as well as strengths and weaknesses when it comes to math

I don't recall any difficulty. The proofs were tricky, but my dd felt Jann's approach was effective. You might want to contact her... she is helpful.

Pauline

Thanks, yes, I did contact her and asked quite a few questions.  But I also want to hear from those like yourself who actually took the courses as I am unsure about the approach.

We've used both Jann and Derek Owens. I agree with what ks-sonflower stated about Jann's courses.

Elder DS (now in college) took Jann for alg 1, geometry, and alg 2. After alg 1, he insisted upon taking Jann for his remaining high school maths. He took math at the community college for his 12th grade math. When he took the placement test, he scored into Calculus but could not take it because he had not taken trig. Overall, he scored above average on the math portion of his college entrance exams, but math was his weakest area on these tests.

10th grade DS took Jann for alg 1 and is currently taking alg 2 with her. He took geometry with Derek Owens between the two algebras. Although, I think DO's courses are wonderful, geometry was nearly a disaster for DS. Well, I guess I should not say 'disaster' because he made an A in the course. The format did not work for him at all. He learned NOTHING from the lectures would get almost every practice problem wrong. DS and I would have to go back through the book, lectures notes, and watch videos online before he understood the lessons. DS virtually taught himself geometry because DO offers no tutoring. (BTW, Jann gives FREE tutorials to her students.) Because DS had to do a lot of extra work to do to learn the concepts, he had to work through the summer. DS and I got so burned out on reading and re-reading material and looking for adequate videos online that I ended up hiring a tutor for him to take him through the remainder of the curriculum. Now, let me add this DS was struggling with learning differences that were not diagnosed until late in second semester of this geometry year. He has only taken the PSAT...scored slightly above average, but again, math the weakest area. He'll be taking the ACT in June. I wish Jann taught Pre-calc and Calc.

7th grade DD is taking Jann for Honors Pre-algebra. The course goes a little slow for her, but this is my higher-achieving child. I signed up for Jann's alg 1 course, and I'l probably use her for geometry and alg 2 also.

If you'd like more info, PM me.

This is interesting to me. My daughter is on her third year with Derek Owens and he also offers free tutorials. When my daughter has problems with an assignment he always sends her extra videos to help and several times has even made additional videos for her. So I would say that is incorrect that he offers no tutoring.

My DD is almost finished with Geometry using DO.  He has been great.  Any time that she has had trouble understanding a problem, she emails him and he gets back with her with a video showing how the problem was worked or and email explaining what she needs to do.  This is a child who has hated math in the past.  DO grades all the proofs with comments on errors.  We have been very pleased with him.

This is interesting to me. My daughter is on her third year with Derek Owens and he also offers free tutorials. When my daughter has problems with an assignment he always sends her extra videos to help and several times has even made additional videos for her. So I would say that is incorrect that he offers no tutoring.

DO was mostly timely about answering emails and also sent an extra video to DS two or three times. I don't consider this tutoring. This is not the one-on-one, immediate answers to questions that a live tutoring session provides.

And let me just add that on several occasions when I could not figure out what DS did not understand about his homework, I emailed the assignment to Jann (even though I grade DS's work) and she looked at it and told me what DS was not understanding and suggested a tutorial.

We take a lot of online courses, and I have not found ANY teacher to be more accommodating or willing to help than Jann. She genuinely wants her students to understand and do well and , in my opinion, goes above and beyond.  No, her courses are not perfect. Jann goes off topic a bit during lectures, my DD feels her lectures progress too slowly, and I have even had someone tell me that they thought she was rude to students. But I have not found a single online teacher other than Jann who truly cares so much about each individual student's understanding and success. I personally do not know how she is able to offer such individual and specific help and still be able to have a life outside of teaching.

I've finally settled on Jann in TX. My son will be repeating Algebra I, because we feel like he didn't grasp it as well as he should have, and it's so important to understand before going on to Algebra II. Thanks everyone for your input!

I somehow missed this thread!! I'm sure you will be happy with Jann. My dd took Alg II with her and just loved it.

Like a previous poster said, we also wished Jann taught pre-calc and calc!