Menu

Daytona Beach area anyone?

momto3innc

There is a possibility of us moving to Daytona area for a job in the next few months.  Nothing definite at all, but I'd like to be thinking it through ahead of time.  I have lived on the west coast of Florida in the past so I am familiar with the state/homeschooling laws in general.  But I really don't know the Daytona area.  Here are things I am wondering:

--What activities/groups/etc are there for homeschool families?  Classes, co-ops, field trips?  Are there many people who homeschool here?

--What about other kid activities--sports, gymnastics, swim teams?

--Looking at realtor.com, I feel like we'd get more house for the money in an area like Deland.  Is that true?  How far away is that? (my husband would be working in Daytona Beach itself)  Or where would you look for housing if working there? (would want to stay under about 200,000)

--I'm curious how it, in general, compares to other parts of Florida for cost of living.  We'd be on one salary and probably not a super big one.

I don't know what else to ask...anything you can think of that is worth knowing about the area? I'm all ears!

Thanks for any help!!

Used to take classes at Stetson (which is in DeLand).  Yes, you should be able to get a good house for the money, but there would still be a commute…and your DH would have to listen to the radio/traffic to see if he could take I-4 to the beach or if he'd have to take 17-92. (Not a big deal, but sometimes the tie-ups on I-4 are insane.  There are virtually no exits between DeLand and Daytona, so when something bad happens, you're stuck.  (Might be one or two, depending on where you live.)  It's probably 20-30 minutes to Daytona, depending on traffic.

If you go to Daytona itself, you can also look up/down the coast.  Maybe up to Ormond and down to New Smyrna for a reasonable commute.  

In terms of COL, I've lived in the Jacksonville, Orlando, and Naples area.  I did not notice a lot of difference, except for Naples (more expensive). 

Used to take classes at Stetson (which is in DeLand). Yes, you should be able to get a good house for the money, but there would still be a commute…and your DH would have to listen to the radio/traffic to see if he could take I-4 to the beach or if he'd have to take 17-92. (Not a big deal, but sometimes the tie-ups on I-4 are insane. There are virtually no exits between DeLand and Daytona, so when something bad happens, you're stuck. (Might be one or two, depending on where you live.) It's probably 20-30 minutes to Daytona, depending on traffic.

If you go to Daytona itself, you can also look up/down the coast. Maybe up to Ormond and down to New Smyrna for a reasonable commute.

In terms of COL, I've lived in the Jacksonville, Orlando, and Naples area. I did not notice a lot of difference, except for Naples (more expensive).

Thanks! That's all helpful to know. No commute is always better than having one but just looking at houses and like what I see better there. But I have been stuck on I-4 many a time in life and would love to avoid that if possible! Now if we could only afford a house in the beach.....

I think it would also depend on where most of the kids activities were. Like if there were more homeschoolers/kids stuff in Deland we would go that way or vice versa.

Sorry I can't offer any more regarding specifics. I did have a friend who lived in DeLand and went to Father Lopez High School in Daytona…and it wasn't a bad commute.  Lots of kids came from DeLand she said.

Homeschooling is big in Central Florida.  There's a big convention that happens in May in Orlando. They even do a high school graduation for the kids.   If you're going to be in the area, it might be a good place to start  http://fpea.com

If you can, choose to live outside Daytona Beach itself. It's a tourist town year round and not always the best place for kids/families. Deland isn't too far and has a nice "old Florida" feel to it. If you want to stay on the coast I agree with Umsami. Ormond to the north or New Smyrna Beach or Edgewater to the south. Any farther away and your dh will probably get tired of the commute.